Dissapointing characters

Shadwell

Robb- I thought he would save his sisters especially with all the battles he was winning, and then to see him fail to return to Winterfell for his brothers, then chuck up his sisters for lost, and technically Winterfell was sacked and burned while he was lord of it...he's no Aegon the Conquerer.

Doran Martell- such a let down from his brother Oberyn.

Dany was unbelievably boring as she was squatting in Meereen with her "children" ( as sympathetic as I do find her anti-slavery tendencies). Even knowing she has to be somewhere while the situation in westeros comes to fruition, I still dislike the morass of Meereen!

Quentyn's storyline was boring, even though his painful earnestness was endearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Quentyn. Cersei, from the moment she appeared on the page. Dany's slipping a bit, but I have faith. Tyrion. Ask where whores go again. No really. Ask it. And then ask it ten thousand more goddamn times as I beat my face bloody for having to read more of GRRM's ad nauseam phrases. WORDS ARE WIND IF I LOOK BACK I AM LOST YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW WHERE DO WHORES GO

okay, that aside I have one that's been bugging me from book one -- Beric. Or rather, I was disappointed at what was done with him. I kind of feel like he didn't get the attention his own little quest deserved, but isn't that the way of the world.

Gregor Clegane: He is the caricature of a bully. No character development, simply a foil for others. Seriously? Someone with such potential in the story is banished to the literary version of the kids' table. Sad.

Ramsey Snow: Again, a waste of space. The ramifications of his mental illness and all the mischief he could have gotten up to are much more subtle and profound than the axe-to-the-face treatment we are given. It seems that GRRM is describing his atrocities to get us to hate him rather than explaining his thought process leading to these actions which would be more disturbing and like to make us hate him more, but also, perhaps, acknowlege that he is a human being rather than a cartoon character. Mindless atrocities did not work for Cobra Commander, Mum-Ra, or Skelletor--they won't work for Ramsey either.

Qyburn: One dimensional is the kindest thing that can be said about our resident necromancer who somehow fled some dungeons and dragons campaign and found himself in Westeros. His antics that ultimately produced Robert Strong are a jarring break from the way magic is portrayed in the series. How is it that the Citidel allowed a fucking necromancer escape their grasp? Marwin warned Sam that he was like to get poison in his porrige if he spoke of dragons. Yet Qyburn is stripped of his chain and released. /sigh. At least I can look forward to the great unmasking. I wonder how the locals will react to a headless Mountain laying waste through their screaming ranks.

For me it has been Bran. It was all I could do to not skip his bits on FIRST reading. Probably to do with me being a grumpy old man now and not having much time for stories about toddlers. Admittedly things livened up towards the end of where we currently are although even then he static finale seemed appropriate to the rest oif his journey.

Hoster Tully. The man did something conscious exactly once (ordered Piper and Vance to go to KL instead of striking west), then he was on his deathbed through two and a half books, and then just died saying 'Tansy' whatever she/it was. From what we know from Catelyn, I just cannot gather a whole image of him, however hard I try. LIke the big dad Tully never truly existed.

I thought Viserys was awesome and amusing in the books and show. I have hated Daenerys ever since she watched him die and showed no remorse. He had some issues sure and was delt a shitty hand, but he wasnt evil like Joffrey or Ramsey. He would have been a better king than Robert.

As much as I dislike Dany her brother held a sword to her belly with a promise to cut out her unborn baby. I would have spit on his corpse.

I'd have to go with Quentyn.

When all characters are new to you, you have no idea what to expect so I didn't have any expectations for the initial characters to disappoint - I just hated some of them (Bran, Samwell, Dany, most Frey's, most Bolton's and most Lannister's), loved some of them (Asha, Ygritte, Jon Snow, Val, Tyrion, Jaime and most Stark's) and loved to hate some of them (Tywin, always Tywin).

But with Quentyn we had knowledge of him via several sources prior to actually being introduced to the character. And with me liking a lot of the Martell's (Oberyn, the Sand Snakes, Doran and especially Arianne) I kind of expected Quentyn to be a great character. It didn't matter whether he was more like his father or more like his sister, cousin's and uncle since I like all of them but he was just an incredibly disappointing character who kind of did nothing, despite having a lot to achieve, before dying.

I've obviously been disappointed with choices character's have made and their successes and failures such as Robb failing to avenge his father and Shae showing her true colours during and after Tyrion's trial but in terms of characters I expected to be more entertaining it stays with Quentyn.

• 2 months later...

Archived