Dissapointing characters

Shadwell

In terms of awesome characters that went downhill:

- Tyrion in aDwD

- Dany in aDwD

- Arya after aSoS, a little bit

- Cersei was great in aFfC, but I also expected her to be a bit...greyer? Not so cartoonishly and unequivocally evil, I guess

- Asha, I expected her povs were gonna be great since she was so awesome in aCoK, but she was kind of bland, I think

- Lady Stoneheart

In terms of characters that didn't live up to the hype:

- Doran: his plan was shit

- Quentyn: worst "character" in the series

- Ramsey: One-dimensional, over-the-top cartoon

This. Especially considering if he intends to help Jon, he has two books remaining to learn what he needs to, return to the wall, and pass on this knowledge. Considering it took an entire book in autumn to reach Oldtown, this is now bordering on impossible

Sam doesn't know that he only has two books left. Anyway, when he and Jon parted, I felt that they would never see each other again.

Speaking of, she's by far the biggest disappointment to me. Starts off promising and just dives off a cliff to the point where now she's just unbearable and awful.

I like her Meereen chapters. I don't want an awesome badass Daenerys who takes Westeros with the help of her dragons and rules wisely till the end of her years. Meereen actually dealt with a lot of personal conflict that I found interesting. She loses her idealism and learns the difficulties of trying to be an effective ruler. Politics and "doing the right thing" always looks much easier if you're not involved yourself, but in reality you have to make a lot of ugly decisions.

As much as her conquering of Astapor gave me goosebumps, I find the politics stuff in ADWD much more interesting. And her chapters do have a lot going on behind the scenes, where you have to look beyond the limited POVs of her and Barristan. I like that very much.

But I'm not a fan of Daenerys as a person.

The Others are moving south at a glacial pace. In AGOT's prologue they were a few days north of the Wall, and now they're at Hardhome... a few days north of the Wall.

:agree:

I expected more of them, it seems like we just get bits and pieces of them each book. It's not like plot changing information either. I suppose this has more to do with GRRM's slow writing, for the characters it has been two or so years, for us, over ten.

:agree:

I expected more of them, it seems like we just get bits and pieces of them each book. It's not like plot changing information either. I suppose this has more to do with GRRM's slow writing, for the characters it has been two or so years, for us, over ten.

Agree. They are like the Chandrian in the Kingkiller Chronicles. And your Big Bad shouldn't be like the Chandrian

Tywin, Balon, the Red Viper, Quentyn, they all are dead, their Story is over. And for me, they were dissapointing.

Other Endings were great like Ned, Robb, Cat (not UNcat!)

I think your first grroup were flash-in-the-pans who served a certain function and were disposable as the story moved on. Tywin IMO belongs with the second group, who are important characters in several books (Ned is quoted and discussed and revered long after he's gone) and leave a legacy that affects the kingdom and its future, for good or ill.

I think characters can be disappointing for two main reasons, their personal development or their function in the story. In terms of the story, my biggest disappointments are Quentyn, Oberyn, Blackfish, Darkstar, Arianne, Aemon, and Howland Reed (for not getting more involvedby now). All these characters could have been much more impactful, sending the story into blazingly creative new twists, and they didn't. Presumably, the living ones still may do so. And I find Essos and its people, with the exception of Illyrio, Quaithe, and a few others, disappointing, uncomfortable, and often boring.

I found Tyrion pretty disappointing after ASOS. It felt like GRRM was pawning him off to Essos to try and convince us that Dany's practice try at leadership actually matters in the long term, that sending the fan-favourite there would increase Essos's plot relevance, and all that. Given not only did this not happen but Tyrion achieved very, very little throughout all of Dance, I came away disappointed.

I found Tyrion pretty disappointing after ASOS. It felt like GRRM was pawning him off to Essos to try and convince us that Dany's practice try at leadership actually matters in the long term, that sending the fan-favourite there would increase Essos's plot relevance, and all that. Given not only did this not happen but Tyrion achieved very, very little throughout all of Dance, I came away disappointed.

Indeed. Did we really need Tryion's POV to tell us about the horrors of slavery, and a budding romance between dwarves?

I actually love Dany...her chapters are the ones I look forward to, the 'milestones' that mark my reading progress. Her story is interesting because of her unique personality and predicament, as well as her foreign surroundings.

I am always disappointed in the Greyjoys and everything that happens on their islands.

The entirety of House Martell not including Oberyn.

Oberyn, despite his brief "screen time", instantly became one of my favorites in the series. Needless to say I was anxious to get to know the rest of his family, and what did I get? Arianne, who's basically a less evil but consequently less interesting version of Cersei. Quentyn, who was dumb, whiny, and all around boring. Doran who's...okay I guess? The Sand Snakes all kind of blend together to me...honestly I dont flat out dislike any of them, I just find them more or less meh overall. The only Dornish character besides Oberyn who's even come close to as awesome as Oberyn imo is Darkstar.

Am I the only one who actually like how GRRM wrote the Others? I mean I like magic and elves-like monsters to be as mysterious and dangerous as possible, the less we know bout them the better for me (if they remain as the big enemy in the story) They're just waiting the right time to attack, and now, Winter is actually coming :devil:

I also have to say, I like Arianne more than Oberyn, bit since I'm a minority on the matter I won't say much :P

Am I the only one who actually like how GRRM wrote the Others? I mean I like magic and elves-like monsters to be as mysterious and dangerous as possible, the less we know bout them the better for me (if they remain as the big enemy in the story) They're just waiting the right time to attack, and now, Winter is actually coming :devil:

They are interesting. It's just that we don't see them much, yet there is a lot of talk about them. Obviously, they're going to have a big role and we expect them to show...but it feels like it's taking them so long. Each character is moving to another plot/place with each book, the Others are...still walking towards the Wall.

I also have to say, I like Arianne more than Oberyn, bit since I'm a minority on the matter I won't say much :P

No. I like the Others as they are. They appear almost as if they are biding their time. Watching...waiting...

I like Arianne more than Oberyn too. I just like Arianne in general. Shes fun. Shes a willful girl who is learning things. Plus shes going to really shit disturb and i love that.

I do like how the Others are kept very mysterious, but leaving it for 5 books is pushing it a bit; we only have 2 books to learn about them and see them in action :p

I like Arriane, although I feel that is only because I like the Dornish plot and LOATHE Areo Hotah.v "serve, obey, protect." He is mind numbingly boring because he is so single minded. Ned was honourable and dutiful, Areo is cracked

My biggest disappointment was probably Robert. Albeit his personality was tolerable, his actions were borderline insane. His story arc, from the start of A Game of Thrones is essentially:

-go to Winterfell and make Ned Hand

-make Joffrey betrothed to Sansa under the false conception he's heir

-threaten to kill all the Targaryens

-make indecisive actions regarding Nymeria attacking Joffrey, and likewise Joffrey attacking Arya and Mycah (Micah?)

-return to King's Landing and proceed to do nothing of use

-have a hissy fit with Ned over killing the Targaryens

-make indecisive actions regarding Jaime Lannister's attacking Ned

-go hunting while major events become ready to play out--seriously, what was he thinking?

-feed his idiotic pride until his last by demanding the boar that killed him--and any prospect of the conclusion of the feuds between Stark and Lannister--be served at his funeral feast.

The sad thing is, Robert is not described in a particularly bad light during his rebellion. Admittedly, he's a horrible politician, but an excellent warrior, tactician, and perhaps even leader. It's almost amazes me that the same person who successfully usurped the ruling dynasty, which had been in power for almost three hundred years, would become so utterly pitiful as a king. Really, he should have stepped down and given Arryn the rule.

Archived