Should Dany Have Married Quentyn?

Lord Puff Fish

Luckily she DID do more than that: she promised him an alliance.

Wrong: she thought he was in danger and that's why she stayed away from him. Do you understand??? That's what made her more "aloof" than we feel she should have been.

Barristan was "cold" to the Dornish because he thought they may have poisoned Daenerys.

You don't send someone whose crossed the world, offered you a kingdom and a marriage back to their father with a promise. Let's not forget Dany also told him she might very well die in Meereen or Westoros might fall because the future is unpredictable. She practically told him you've come a long way but there's nothing I can or want to do for you.

Barristan - in another one of ADWD's moments of mischaracterization - makes no effort to parlay with the Dornish and this is before the poisoning plot. If Dany feared for Quent's life, she could have sent Barristan as a liaison.

And then after the poisoning, Barristan goes to meet the Dornishmen and scornfully tells them Doran wants to Dany and her dragons only to help their war against the Iron Throne. As if the Dornish plot to take down the Lannisters is any different from Dany's desire or even his own!

Also: Screamers = Berserkers. Not a racist term at all.

Also: Screamers = Berserkers. Not a racist term at all.

Absolutely. I see no reason to assume "Screamers" is racist at all.

It may well be that people are rarely referring to them in the positives, but that just might be because their lifestyle is generally based on death and destruction of anyone who's not Dothraki.

Not exactly the most likely to paint your civilization in a good light (and I use the term 'civilization' lightly here).

For that matter "wildling " is a somewhat perjorative term (they prefer "free folk"). But, it's quite legitimate to use it.

"Wildling" certainly isn't a positive term, but the fact that the vast majority of readers are at least somewhat fond of them completely separates it from the use of the word "screamers", considering that most readers seem to view the Dothraki as nothing more than pillaging savages.

Are they more than that though? For the most part, that seems to be what they do.

What about Dany's loyal bloodriders, who have never been shown to have raped (which is more than can be said for Westerosi knights)? What about Dany's handmaidens, who remain loyal to her and even assist her in conquering Astapor? What about Khal Drogo, who listened to his wife and even appeared to respect her views? What about all the men and women of Dany's khalasar, who are more than happy to follow the first female khal no matter where she takes them?

What about Dany's loyal bloodriders, who have never been shown to have raped (which is more than can be said for Westerosi knights)? What about Dany's handmaidens, who remain loyal to her and even assist her in conquering Astapor? What about Khal Drogo, who listened to his wife and even appeared to respect her views? What about all the men and women of Dany's khalasar, who are more than happy to follow the first female khal no matter where she takes them?

All of that is still with the goal of conquest and subjugation in mind. I'm not saying every single one is a terrible being a'la Gregor Clegane, but as a people they are all about rape and pillage. That some Westerosi knights are no better doesn't change that fact in the slightest.

Dany's bloodriders may not have raped anyone - but then again, maybe they have. Not much of an argument IMO. Even if so, the fact that not being a rapist marks you as remarkable for your people proves my point admirably to be honest.

Dany's handmaidens are loyal to her, sure, what's you point though? I never said every Dothraki was a warrior.

Khal Drogo was a savage, and all he had in his mind was death and destruction for everyone. That he listens to his wife and somewhat lets her opinion on who to rape and pillage influence him - still not a winner.

The Dothraki in general seems to be pretty misogynistic, which is hardly surprising in a warrior society, but even so we're not discussing whether they're sexist. Additionally, "All the men and women of Dany's Khalasar" is only a tiny portion of the men and women who abandoned "the first female Khal" to follow Drogo's former bloodriders.

True. They are savages which all they do is pillaging, raping and slaving. Well free folks may be murderous but they have their own culture, they create they don't steal.

They do steal. They kidnap Northern women and rape them remember? The whole idea of "stealing women" is horrifying: "Oh, they'll kill the man if they don't want him". Bullshit: What if the woman's weaker or the man has te sense to incapicitate her? The Wildlings sugarcoat their misogyny and romanticise it, while the Dothraki don't.

They do steal. They kidnap Northern women and rape them remember? The whole idea of "stealing women" is horrifying: "Oh, they'll kill the man if they don't want him". Bullshit: What if the woman's weaker or the man has te sense to incapicitate her? The Wildlings sugarcoat their misogyny and romanticise it, while the Dothraki don't.

I think that you misunderstood.

their own culture, they create they don't steal.

I meant they have their one culture they don't steal other civilizations. I never said anything about women.

I think that you misunderstood.

I meant they have their one culture they don't steal other civilizations. I never said anything about women.

I did misunderstand and the Dothraki culture is their own creation: their personification of the sun and moon as a married couple, their reverence of the mother figure and horses are all indigent to their culture, it is not stolen.

"Wildling" certainly isn't a positive term, but the fact that the vast majority of readers are at least somewhat fond of them completely separates it from the use of the word "screamers", considering that most readers seem to view the Dothraki as nothing more than pillaging savages.

Wait then, who exactly are you accusing of having a double standard then?

Because if readers like the Wildlings, but still use the negative, dehumanizing term, and don't like the Dothraki and still use a negative, dehumanizing term, isn't that a single standard of nomenclature?

True. They are savages which all they do is pillaging, raping and slaving. Well free folks may be murderous but they have their own culture, they create they don't steal.

They literally steal their wives.

Edit: Never mind. Winters Knight already pointed this out. I also misunderstood what you where referring to as "they don't steal".

Archived