Should Dany Have Married Quentyn?

Lord Puff Fish

I've only read the books once so I'm probably missing something but it seems to me that Dany allowed herself to be blackmailed into marrying Hizadhr. she was the fecking Queen of Meereen. She could have commanded Hizadhr to make the Son of the harpies stop without marrying him

Judging from what is going on in Dorne and the predicament Dany is in right now, NO! Like she stated in the book, if Quentyn would have arrived a year and a half earlier she would have considered it. Dany is still building up her host despite her momentum is at a bit of a stand still marrying Hizdar, being terrorized by Harpies, and her Dragons going wild. Once she unifies the Second Sons & The StormCrows, The Unsullied & The Dothraki, attain a naval fleet and tame all three of her Dragons......"WHOA WATCH OUT NOW!!!!!!!"

Even marrying Quentyn (which wasn´t an option given that he arrived one day before the wedding to Hizdahr) may not have got Dorne on side. Dornish foreign policy is incresingly in the hands of Arianne, Tyene, and Nymeria, as Doran gets more sick. And, we can see even in her chapters in Feast, that Arianne is jealous of Quentyn.

Even marrying Quentyn (which wasn´t an option given that he arrived one day before the wedding to Hizdahr) may not have got Dorne on side. Dornish foreign policy is incresingly in the hands of Arianne, Tyene, and Nymeria, as Doran gets more sick. And, we can see even in her chapters in Feast, that Arianne is jealous of Quentyn.

I thought Arianne was jealous of Quentyn, but that was before she knew what the plan was. She fully supported her father once she knew the entire picture

I think if she was thinking about going to Westeros, marrying Quentyn would have been very smart. But at the time she was focused on finding peace for Meereen, so Hizdar was the right choice. But I guess she really should have forgotten about Meereen, married Quentyn, and finally sailed west!

But then she wouldn't be free to marry Aegon

I've only read the books once so I'm probably missing something but it seems to me that Dany allowed herself to be blackmailed into marrying Hizadhr. she was the fecking Queen of Meereen. She could have commanded Hizadhr to make the Son of the harpies stop without marrying him

When you invade a city and then stay in its walls with the old management still in side it's best not to look like a tyrant

I honestly think she should have. With the backing of Dorne, she would stand a much better chance at winning back the Iron Throne. Instead, she led with her pants instead of her head and refused Quentyn. Was this a bad move?

The problem was Quentyn hadn't much to offer her in Mereen. At that point the dream of Westeros was in the far future, and she needed to act to get Mereen under control. While marrying Hizdahr wasn't brilliant, marrying Quentyn wouldn't have solved her Mereenese dilemma at all. Quentyn had nothing to offer her for what mattered at the time.

If she ever hoped that she had any chance to Westeros' alliance she should have marry him.

Well Westeros wasn't really on her mind. She had a city falling apart around her, and though her decisions weren't good, they were made to save that said city. Quentyn had nothing to offer her.

Well Westeros wasn't really on her mind. She had a city falling apart around her, and though her decisions weren't good, they were made to save that said city. Quentyn had nothing to offer her.

Yet, she claims that she is Westeros' rightful queen and that this is the throne she want.

If she ever hoped that she had any chance to Westeros' alliance she should have marry him.

No, this is ridiculous. Dany is only 16 in ADwD; she could have theoretically planned her invasion of Westeros in 10, 15 or even 20 years in the future, when there were other powerful lords seeking to marry her. Marrying Quentyn at that point would have been a terrible idea unless she planned to leave Meereen straight away.

No, this is ridiculous. Dany is only 16 in ADwD; she could have theoretically planned her invasion of Westeros in 10, 15 or even 20 years in the future, when there were other powerful lords seeking to marry her. Marrying Quentyn at that point would have been a terrible idea unless she planned to leave Meereen straight away.

Yet she needs allies in Westeros. Without Quentyn she loses the only alliance she could hope for.

Nope. If she waits a decade or so, her dragons will be fully grown, and with those larger dragons you don't need allies.

The funny things is that 3 13yo dragons without training and uncontrolled will be able to win where 3 centurys old fully trained and controlled dragons failed?

But yeah, let's not pretend that stealing the dragons was Dany's fault. She showed him the dragons and also showed him that he was not a suitable rider (something he realised). It was his own stupidity and ego that led to him trying to steal the dragons, not Daenerys.

Yeah, not sure how she's responsible for what he did.

Archived