Do You Think Rhaegar Would Have Killed Ned?

Arthur Dayne's Honor

NO. For the 10000000000000th time Ned was not a very good swordsman in the books, Martin has stated that Ned was no more than average as a swordfighter (as a commander he was great though). Rhaegar would have destroyed Ned if he wanted to.

Which means Rhaegar was a dead man walking. What? You think a great commander who basically had the opposite personality traits of the 'greatest glory is 1v1 mortal combat' knights would get into a swordfight with Rhaegar if he didn't have to?

Let me forecast the fight for you:

Ned vs Rhaegar:

Round1: Rhaegar stands up after killing Robert. He looks up to challenge Ned. Ned orders 30 armed men to take Rhaegar.

You can speculate from that point forward, but that's pretty much how it would play out regarding a Ned v Rhaegar duel.

Robert was NOT in the best shape that he ever was. He had been fighting for a long time and was injured before even fighting Rhaegar.

Robert was also several years younger than Rhaegar was too and was farther off from his prime than Rhaegar.

Why are you debating this as if it were a 'who would win' fight? I think Robert v Rhaegar is pretty conclusive.

Which means Rhaegar was a dead man walking. What? You think a great commander who basically had the opposite personality traits of the 'greatest glory is 1v1 mortal combat' knights would get into a swordfight with Rhaegar if he didn't have to?

Ned vs Rhaegar:

Round1: Rhaegar stands up after killing Robert. He looks up to challenge Ned. Ned orders 30 armed men to take Rhaegar.

You can speculate from that point forward, but that's pretty much how it would play out regarding a Ned v Rhaegar duel.

So your scenario would be Rhaegar completely alone against Ned and his army? Wat

Ned vs Rhaegar:

:bang: Are your serious? Obviously, for the sake of the argument I was having with others we assume that Ned and Rhaegar battle it out mano a mano. Context is everything!

I agree with Ser Arthur in the original post. I think Rhaegar (with support of the Kingsguard and Dorne, but that's my crazy theory) was planning a coup. He could well have been willing to have negotiated with Ned or even Robert. If Rhaegar could have persuaded Ned and Bob that Lyanna had run off with him consentually, that he loved her and she loved him (i'm not sure about the marriage thing, or even if Ned would have accepted that Lyanna could be a second wife, but he could have promised to put aside Elia or to marry Lyanna of Elia's death...nice....) he could promised Ned justice for the death of his father and brother and they could have come to terms. I'm sure that this was at least partly why Ned went to war.

However, it depends, did Ned believe at the time that Lyanna had been abducted against her will? Everybody "now" ie, 15 years on, seems to know or believe that Rhaegar and Lyanna were lovers, but how and when did Ned find out? Did he have to hear it from Lyanna herself? He's clearly forgiven/exonerated Rhaegar by the time of "Game", but what did he know at the time? Could Rhaegar have persuaded him of it if he'd had the chance?

(Seriously I can just about see "Your sister is safe and well, Stark, you have my word on it, i would do nothing to harm her. I will take you to her, she will be overjoyed to see you.") Rhaegar was an honourable man, Eddard Stark was an honourable man, at least they could understand each other, I think they could have worked it out.

Robert has clearly never accepted that Lyanna loved Rhaegar, so i suppose it would depend on what Robert was doing at the time.

• 6 months later...

If Rhaegar had killed Robert, then had to 'duel it out' with Eddard, Rhaegar would have won. Kill Ned, though? No.

Robert was a much like a tornado - thoughtless, destructive, an overwhelming force of nature - when his passions were aroused; a man who could not be reasoned with. Eddard was an emotionally controlled, observant man, even at a young age. A man who could be reasoned with, had Rhaegar been given the time to explain the events that preceded the rebellion. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread was Rhaegar's semi-legendary love for Lyanna, and how she would have reacted were she to have learned that Rhaegar killed her beloved brother.

Rhaegar just killed his best friend, kidnap his sister, and started a war that killed his brother and father as well as other childhood friends, do you really think Ned is going to in the heat of battle stop to ask him why? Again, Rhaegar would not get through Ned's guards, a specially if it has Greatjon in it.

Anyone consider that Lyanna might have? I'm sort of joking, but I believe she did exactly what she wanted too. She was a bad ass. She also didn't care about the consequences.

That is not being badass just a Juliet.

No, he seemed like a cool guy.

I doubt he even wanted to kill Robert or Brandon.

I think he just wanted to spend time with Lyanna

If he did not want to kill them, why go into battle, why not make a truce?

In battle? If Rhaegar won, probably. Unless Ned yielded and/or could be taken captive.

I don't think Rhaegar would have executed Ned, though: I don't think he would want to have Lyanna's brother killed if he could send him to the Wall instead.

In battle Rhaegar would to go through his guards.

I mean the rebellion was in full swing. Robert was inconsolable but I'm almost positive Rhaegar was planning a coup, or at least planning to remove his father from power. There would e no chance of peace between Rhaegar and Robert but had Rhaegar slew Robert on the trident would he try to kill Ned? Ned seems to have held Rhaegar in high regard so he likely wasnt really angry with him so there is the chance of peace between them and plus if you believe Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love then I don't think Lyanna would be very happy her hubby killed her bro.

14 years after finding out the truth he held Rhaegar in decent regard, I doubt he was quite so fond of him during the Rebellion. And it wouldn't matter Ned loved Robert as much as any member of his family if not more. No way a Rhaegar that killed Robert is gonna get Ned to the negociating table.

In battle, yes but with regret. He feels he needs to live to fix his father's ***** ups, and prepare the realm for TPTWP. Still, Ned was an honorable man that was pulled into a war because of his and his father's actions. No event would have ever filled Rhegar with as much sorrow as killing his brother in law(?).

Post battle/surrender. No. Likely would have immediately pulled him into a private session to discuss Lyanna.

Doesnt ser barristan kinda quash the notion that rhaegar was a great warrior when dany raises the matter?

For my money rhaegar going to the trident is supposed to be a kind of mismatch either

a) rhaegar feels love/the phropechy will pull him through just like at the tourney and he will best robert as he beat all the other top flight warriors of westeros that day for lyanna.

b )rhaegar goes knowing he cant win from a dream but knows he must go regardless

either way their fight is prob decent but overhyped over time and/or dragged out to both men being in armour and knee deep possibly in water

Archived