Mahabharat

Viserys_The Transformed

Anyone attempting to read 20 times the Mahabharata would probably die of old age before being over ;)

Unless we speak of the insanely shortened versions out there, which must probably be closer to a synopsis of the real book.

This statement is just so silly . Anyone can read a book they like 20 times, without being old .

This statement is just so silly . Anyone can read a book they like 20 times, without being old .

Considering the Critical Edition is roughly 13'000 pages long, you better start young ;) The complete version looked pretty impressive at the university library - though I knew a guy who was studying Sanskrit had apparently read it entirely.

My curse is I like being exhaustive and reading the whole deal, so, alas, I'm probably putting this one aside for once I'm retired... I should pick some shorter ancient Indian work before.

Yeah, as mentioned, the version I read was 800-900 pages, and had some wonderfully realized detail, but reading the OG version even once would take forever.

I haven't actually read it, although I believe I have a copy of a translation of the Bhagavad Gita somewhere.

I did see at least some of the episodes of the Peter Brook miniseries around the time it came out though.

There's a very abridged version of the Mahabharatha written by Chakravarthy Rajagopalachari that is quite popular in India. It's very much nothing more than a quick summary, but it's pretty easy to read.

This is probably not the right place to put this, but The Great Indian Novel by Shashi Tharoor is a story inspired by the Mahabharatha. It's irreverent and very humourous. I think asoiaf fans would enjoy it very much.

Archived