did the old gods send the direwolves?

Tommen Beetsbane

On a separate note, I wouldn't say direwolves were as rare as dragons. There had been no dragons for thousands of years, whereas direwolves are just endangered and you wouldn't expect to see any south of the Wall. There are those who believed that direwolves were extinct or were a mythical construct, of course, but that evidently wasn't true. The truly unusual part in this scenario is seeing direwolves south of the Wall, and serendipitously having there be one for each Stark kid.

Unless you count the ones Bran saw in Asshai during his coma when he flew around the world.

GRRM says direwolves are very close to extinction both in the North and the South of the Wall. This is because they are extremely dangerous to humans and so they are hunted down. Theon is most likely true when he says noone has seen a dirwolf in 200 years. That does not mean there are no direwolves living anymore. Even today some of the animals thought to be extinct may be observed in our world. I believe they still live in Wolfswood and in the North of the Wall by avoiding humans as much as possible. Leaf said the direwolves will outlive all of them, which means direwolves are doing fine by keeping out of the way.

As for the OP, I think the direwolf puppies are not just random coincidence. Varamyr said the direwolves are gifts worthy of a king.

GRRM says direwolves are very close to extinction both in the North and the South of the Wall. This is because they are extremely dangerous to humans and so they are hunted down. Theon is most likely true when he says noone has seen a dirwolf in 200 years. That does not mean there are no direwolves living anymore. Even today some of the animals thought to be extinct may be observed in our world. I believe they still live in Wolfswood and in the North of the Wall by avoiding humans as much as possible. Leaf said the direwolves will outlive all of them, which means direwolves are doing fine by keeping out of the way.

As for the OP, I think the direwolf puppies are not just random coincidence. Varamyr said the direwolves are gifts worthy of a king.

I thought Leaf said that "the direwolves will outlast us all".

As far as I understand it, the Old Gods have no power at all. It is possible that Bloodraven, a greenseer, warged the direwolf to make it go close to Winterfell but who knows?

Or do they have power, that has been lying dormant for thousands of years; waiting for magic to re enter the world. Talking of the Gods in general, in this series; is a tough matter for me, as I'm a non believer in real life. But someone or something brought the pups to the Stark kids; be it the Old Gods, CotF or BR. For me, I feel the true power is the CotF and their player BR. BR is someone I would call a "demigod" and I think Bran is going to become one as well. Clearly the Wolves are there for a reason and it's not just for protection; Ghost especially. The fact that Ghost, looks like the face of the Old Gods on a Weirwood tree is a pretty big deal. He is silent, just like a tree and there is huge reason for this IMO. I think when he finally lets out a howl, something big just happened or is about to happen. My three thoughts of said event; would be Jon's actual death, the howl will bring down the Wall, or if Dany/Jon become foes Ghost's howl will stop a certain black dragon right in his tracks. I just don't know.....perhaps I should stop rambling now.

Unless you count the ones Bran saw in Asshai during his coma when he flew around the world.

Hmm, hard to be sure whether that was real. But you're right, I'd forgotten that. Well then, as far as most of humankind were concerned there had been no dragons.

On a separate note, I wouldn't say direwolves were as rare as dragons. There had been no dragons for thousands of years, whereas direwolves are just endangered and you wouldn't expect to see any south of the Wall. There are those who believed that direwolves were extinct or were a mythical construct, of course, but that evidently wasn't true. The truly unusual part in this scenario is seeing direwolves south of the Wall, and serendipitously having there be one for each Stark kid.

Weren't there dragons as late as roughly 100 years before the start of aGoT (give or take 50) ? The Targaryans had dragons 300 years before aGoT, and it continued for some time after that. Unless I misunderstand you...

The difference in reaction is that Direwolves, while formidable (and cool as hell), aren't nearly as powerful as full-grown dragons, nor have they been the power behind a conquest of an entire freakin' continent. I don't like the Targaryans much, especially the later generations, but you gotta give them credit for having some pretty nifty pets.

ETA:

To stay on topic, I do think *someone* did something to put the Direwolves in Bran and Co's path, the number and distribution of them is much too convenient to be an accident, so much that even Ned sees the symbolism in it. But gods? My interpretation is that there are no gods in the traditional sense, but there's magic and powers that people take for gods, sometimes deliberately sometimes not.

Weren't there dragons as late as roughly 100 years before the start of aGoT (give or take 50) ? The Targaryans had dragons 300 years before aGoT, and it continued for some time after that. Unless I misunderstand you...

:blushing: Nope, no misunderstanding on your part, I misspoke. My bad!

My interpretation is that there are no gods in the tradition sense, but there's magic and powers that people take for gods, sometimes deliberately sometimes not.

This would be the best way to put it. I think I said pretty much the same above. But you made it much shorter and to the point! :cheers:

Or it could have been the WW/Cold Gods that sent them or the 3EC.

I do believe someone/something sent them.

ETA: it is likely that Gared brought her south w/ him, but still begs the question did the WW tell him to take it south?

:agree:

A dead direwolf with an antler in its neck, with six pups that map perfectly onto the six Stark children, is so massively unlikely to happen by chance that I am utterly sure the Old Gods (or the system of magic linked to the CotF or whatever you want to call it) were behind it. We don't know very much about the Old Gods or how they operate or what their priorities are or what the full extent of their power is, but my theory is that Ned's practice of personally beheading condemned prisoners in front of heart trees was what made it possible. This practice was a form of blood sacrifice although Ned didn't realize that it was, and it served to increase the power of the Old Gods and earn Ned their aid and favor. I suspect that all magic in ASOIAF must ultimately be powered by some form of sacrifice of blood or life.

I think they were sent because of Bran, thats why the moment was told through his POV.

He is the chosen greenseer, and as a result his siblings got some too.

The old gods don't exist so I doubt they sent them, however someone probably sent them.

I think that a serious injury or illness is necessary to awaken greensight in those who have the potential for it. Jojen had an illness that nearly killed him, Bloodraven had his eye stabbed out by Bittersteel at the Battle of the Redgrass Field, and Bran had his fall. I think any of the Stark children could have been the greenseer, and Bran was the one who became the greenseer because he was the one who had the necessary injury.

A gift, omen, and request for the Starks to return to the old ways all wrapped up in one.

and what do they both do? (robb and ned) March south.

I thought the same, and I thought when Ned killed Lady it was symbolic of him turning away from the old way. Symbolized they had forgotten their true purpose and this resulted in the near (for now...could get worse) destruction of the north and there house. I thought it was a poignant moment.

I think that a serious injury or illness is necessary to awaken greensight in those who have the potential for it. Jojen had an illness that nearly killed him, Bloodraven had his eye stabbed out by Bittersteel at the Battle of the Redgrass Field, and Bran had his fall. I think any of the Stark children could have been the greenseer, and Bran was the one who became the greenseer because he was the one who had the necessary injury.

I dont think any of them could have been green seers, GRRM said Bran's relationship with summer is different than all the other children.

The injury awakened it but I believe it was there in the first place.

Edit: And BR said he was watching Bran since he was born.

The Stark children were meant to have those direwolves. And Bloodraven made sure Jon found Ghost.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98854-bridging-the-gap-bloodraven-jon-snow/

This and also that only is it in Bran's POV that is important but also that Jon spoke up just in time to save the pups. Everything involved is more then just mere coincidence. Everything happens for a reason and I also do believe it was Bloodraven that sent the direwolf close to the Starks.

This and also that only is it in Bran's POV that is important but also that Jon spoke up just in time to save the pups. Everything involved is more then just mere coincidence. Everything happens for a reason and I also do believe it was Bloodraven that sent the direwolf close to the Starks.

Indeed it is, the Wolf is the sigil of their house. Ironic that the Stag (Joffrey) was responsible for ending Ned's life? Quite.

Archived