Misconceptions about Tywin

Victarion10

Tywin was a monster and the only good thing about him is that he is dead and that it was a painful and humiliating death. Tywin created a temporary peace that destroyed bonds of trust through all the noble houses. In the long run he made a mess of everything. He has no friends at all and hundred if not thousands of enemies. Being a good ruler is about finding the middle ground between ruthlessness and kindness. He never once tried to do that. His children are so fucked up and he can't even recognize it, it's pathetic. He was an aver military commander at best, he had countless advantages over Robb an still had to resort to breaking guest right to kill him. His "legacy" he was so dead set on leaving is one of pride and truly messed up children who will drive his house into the ground. In the long run he was a complete and utter failure.

How did he underestimate Tyrion, and how did that lead to his death?

Tyrion did not get Tyrion out. Varys/Jaime did.

He did underestimate Tyrion, that's why he stood there being an ass to him while Tyrion had a crossbow aimed at him. He didn't think Tyrion had the balls to pull the trigger, hence his continued harassment and need to continue to humiliate Tyrion with "Where whores go". In the end he did misjudge and underestimate Tyrion because he could never see that Tyrion was just like him. You humiliate Tyrion, well, a Lannister does pay his debts.

And please, will someone share with me the reason for assuming he was a good military leader? Compared to men like Blackfish/Robb, Stannis, Robert, Ned, even Tarly? He won a few battles having enormous numerous advantage and suffered heavy losses against Edmure and the Irnonborn when he was in positions in which a very good commander could be expected to win.

Oh I can!

What is the biggest tactical advantage in battle? Have a larger army than your enemy.

How do you get the larger army? Have more gold than your enemy.

Who has the biggest sack of gold on this isde of leprechaun valley? - Tywin

---------------------------

Millitary genious!

So if your dog had an illness and you wanted it to be put down, you wouldn't mind if I beat it to death with a shovel?

And yeah having your guards gangrape your son's wife is just a product if the time.

2/10 troll

To an extent it is, the nobles just dont care about the smallfolk and in turn the smallfolk have no rights hence the reason why the some Lords can get away with carrying out the first night.

I dont know why some are so hung up on this. I dont see thread after thread devoted to Ned Stark being a bad father who made his 7 year old son watch him behead someone because we all acknoledge it is part of the times thay loved in.

I dont know why some are so hung up on this. I dont see thread after thread devoted to Ned Stark being a bad father who made his 7 year old son watch him behead someone because we all acknoledge it is part of the times thay loved in.

That man was a criminal. What was Tysha's crime, pray tell?

ETA: Oh, and beheading a person is a legitimate punishment. Gang-raping is not.

To an extent it is, the nobles just dont care about the smallfolk and in turn the smallfolk have no rights hence the reason why the some Lords can get away with carrying out the first night.

:shocked: The beheading was dispensing justice, something Bran will have to get used to as he might have to do it himself in the future. The gangrape was a horrific crime against his son's wife. How can you possibly compare the two?

I don't think I have any misconceptions about Tywin Lannister. I also don't think he was a great man. I think he had moments, but few. Jaime will surpass him in every way. It's funny to me, I hate Tywin and Cersei but I like Tyrion and Jaime.

Impossible.

At the age Jaime is now Tywin had been Hand of the King for 15 years, and was referred to as the true ruler of Westeros, during a time the Kingdom was in peace and plenty. Jaime has been a Kingsguard member that has seen Three Kings die(none of old age) and if Stannis or someone other become Kings then his cuckolding will be seen as the reason why a Civil War plauged the Kingdom.

Oh I can!

What is the biggest tactical advantage in battle? Have a larger army than your enemy.

How do you get the larger army? Have more gold than your enemy.

Who has the biggest sack of gold on this isde of leprechaun valley? - Tywin

---------------------------

Millitary genious!

By that logic Mace Tyrell is the biggest military genius ever. :D

:shocked: The beheading was dispensing justice, something Bran will have to get used to as he might have to do it himself in the future. The gangrape was a horrific crime against his son's wife. How can you possibly compare the two?

Because in todays world they are both sickening abuses, in this medieval world it is par the course. The Nobles dont care about the smallfolk, it is not isolated to Tywin but all the nobles, that is why Butcher boys get run down, women get raped in the North during first night or Tywin thinks he can punish smallfolk however he wants.

Because in todays world they are both sickening abuses, in this medieval world it is par the course. The Nobles dont care about the smallfolk, it is not isolated to Tywin but all the nobles, that is why Butcher boys get run down, women get raped in the North during first night or Tywin thinks he can punish smallfolk however he wants.

Today's world has nothing to do with the Westerosi system of justice. Not to mention that even in it, capital punishment is still legal in some countries - some even execute minors.

Again. Ned beheading the NW deserter was serving justice. Gang-raping is not a legitimate punishment and Tysha had committed no crime.

Beheading the man was Ned's duty. It was justice. Harsh perhaps, but it was justice. Tywin took his son's wife and had her brutally raped. True, both made their sons watch and both of the incidents were examples of the harsh reality they were living in. However, there is a massive difference between beheading a criminal and ordering the gangrape of an innocent girl. You're saying that if Ned had found a random innocent peasant girl and had made Robb watch his guardsmen rape her and then make Robb rape her as well, he'd be just as good a father as the Ned in the books.

That is the reason why Edmure takes in his smallfolk to protect them, why Roose had to keep his rape of a miller's wife secret from the Starks, why Catelyn insisted the seamen who brought her to KL are paid personally, why Stannis made a lowborn smuggler his hand, right?

Regardless, comparing a harsh sentence for a crime to a brutal gang rape carried out by Tywin to teach his son a lesson is ludicrous.

Yeah, no. Even Bronn thinks it cruel and unusual punishment. Tywin's treatment of his father's mistress and Tysha is talked about in-world because it is awful even by Westerosi standards.

The Nobles dont care about the smallfolk, it is not isolated to Tywin but all the nobles, that is why Butcher boys get run down, women get raped in the North during first night or Tywin thinks he can punish smallfolk however he wants.

Something interesting happened in "Hedge Knight" and changed the course of Westeros history when several nobles DID care about the smallfolk.

That is the reason why Edmure takes in his smallfolk to protect them, why Roose had to keep his rape of a miller's wife secret from the Starks, why Catelyn insisted the seamen who brought her to KL are paid personally, why Stannis made a lowborn smuggler his hand, right?

Regardless, comparing a harsh sentence for a crime to a brutal gang rape carried out by Tywin to teach his son a lesson is ludicrous.

Those are more exceptions than the rule.

Archived