Lack of Freaking Insects in Westeros

Mithras

GRRM describes a very vivid world of tastes, smells etc. There are cities of every types and sizes, people are travelling through the wilderness. Wild animals are mentioned to trouble people. Rats causes serious problems. Yet I dont remember any mention of insects. Normally, we expect them to spread diseases, bite people, freak the hell out all but GRRM does not tell anything about it. Tolkien had an arachnophobia and as a result he created Shelob, which was described pretty ugly and with great horror in the books. I think Westeros would be a much better place if GRRM had included the insect dimension. Surely that makes the life of hedge knights much more miserable. Hell even in our world, there are flying cockroaches, camel spiders, giant centipedes, freaking hornets etc.

Welll...

AFFC, page 6-7:

"There's another apple near your foot," Alleras called to Mollander, "and I still have two arrows in my quiver."

"Fuck your quiver." Mollander scooped up the windfall. "This one's wormy," he complained, but he threw it anyway. The arrow caught the apple as it began to fall and sliced it clean in two. One half landed on a turret roof, tumbled to a lower roof, bounced, and missed Armen by a foot. "If you cut a worm in two, you make two worms," the acolyte informed them.

"If only it worked that way with apples, no one would ever need go hungry," said Alleras with one of his soft smiles.

[...]

I recall Arya being concerned (well, better say not concerned) with food with woorms too. Also, as Gendry and Hot Pie noted, Aria ate a lot of insects during their flee after the NW man death.. I recall them joking about the bad smell this has granted her mouth.

I remember flies being mentioned a few times buzzing around carcasses.

And around Drogo while he was going to die, though those could have been a particular type of flies.. I don't remember in detail.

One of the cities Daenerys visited had some wall full of blood that looked black from afar due to the amount of flies being there.

Edit: fixed Khal Drogo's name.

arya has fleas on her from ned dieing in KL up to entering the house of black and white..... there mentioned several times.

there are plenty of mentions of bugs. and tbh id rather read about plot development of characters not so much about bugs.

Normal, acceptable insects are mentioned. Other than manticore, we dont have superfreaking insects. GRRM feels free to create bonebreaking turtles, lizard lions, that reptile in the slums of Yunkai which swallowed one of the infiltrators. I was disappointed why he didnot create any supergiant mad insects, killing few and scaring most.

Normal, acceptable insects are mentioned. Other than manticore, we dont have superfreaking insects. GRRM feels free to create bonebreaking turtles, lizard lions, that reptile in the slums of Yunkai which swallowed one of the infiltrators. I was disappointed why he didnot create any supergiant mad insects, killing few and scaring most.

Our planet has some pretty big turtles. And "lizard lions" are referring to crocodiles/alligators. A similar croc/gator could be the creature in the sewers of Meereen. We haven't seen a ton of fantastical creatures on GRRTH (dragons, direwolves, manticores, maybe a unicorn). Are you looking for big bugs like from the Starship Troopers movie?

My apologies, I misunderstood you and thought you were talking of normal insects.

I suppose he did try to be the most compliant with whatever could have been around during middle age in Europe for the most, and added very few exotic animals to give it a particular unique trait.

Besides, I confess it would have been particularly difficult for me to accept a middle age society settled up in a world of giant insects, because these are commonly associated with post-apocalyptic scenarios. It would have been just like.. introducing dinosaurs instead of mammals. Imagine Cersei complaining of Robert always going to hunt a Triceratops Horridus when she's about to give birth to a child, the Starks finding 5 Velociraptor Mongoliensis puppies and Arya training catching Procompsognathus Triassicus in the red-keep. Odd, wouldn't it be?

Archived