Lack of Freaking Insects in Westeros

Mithras

My apologies, I misunderstood you and thought you were talking of normal insects.

I suppose he did try to be the most compliant with whatever could have been around during middle age in Europe for the most, and added very few exotic animals to give it a particular unique trait.

Besides, I confess it would have been particularly difficult for me to accept a middle age society settled up in a world of giant insects, because these are commonly associated with post-apocalyptic scenarios. It would have been just like.. introducing dinosaurs instead of mammals. Imagine Cersei complaining of Robert always going to hunt a Triceratops Horridus when she's about to give birth to a child, the Starks finding 5 Velociraptor Mongoliensis puppies and Arya training catching Procompsognathus Triassicus in the red-keep. Odd, wouldn't it be?

well Southros supposed has an animal that resembles a Veloceraptor, so make what you will out if that :)

well Southros supposed has an animal that resembles a Veloceraptor, so make what you will out if that :)

Oh...

I fear I have completely missed out that description, not only in english read but even in my mother tongue. :blushing:

Thank you for pointing it out. Do you happen to recall where should I go to read some details? ^_^

Just because it's a fantasy novel, doesn't mean there needs to be a bunch of giant spiders and such. If you're looking for overused and cliché plot devices, might I suggest the sci-fi channel. (Also, don't the others allegedly have giant ice spiders?)

Oh...

I fear I have completely missed out that description, not only in english read but even in my mother tongue. :blushing:

Thank you for pointing it out. Do you happen to recall where should I go to read some details? ^_^

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81271-dinosaurs-in-asoiaf/

this thread talks about them

I missed it too at first. Mind was blown when I put 2+2 together

I think that having giant insects as part of the story would necessarily mean rewriting the whole story. You couldn't just have a giant flesh-eating locust swarm flitting around the Neck and leave the rest of the story unchanged; if Westeros proper was infested with overt, commonplace supernatural horrors, it would dramatically change the history, culture, and organization of the entire society -- the equivalent of having White Walkers overrunning King's Landing. It wouldn't just be "ASOIAF with insects" it would be a new story altogether.

I think Westeros would be a much better place if GRRM had included the insect dimension. Surely that makes the life of hedge knights much more miserable. Hell even in our world, there are flying cockroaches, camel spiders, giant centipedes, freaking hornets etc.

You are absolutely right, this series would be much improved by the inclusion of mystical insects. Though, in fairness to Martin, he has planted no shortage of clues suggesting that the Great Other is a life form akin to a Slug King, (a "Jabba the Hutt," if you will), presiding over his minions of murderous leeches. The textual evidence is there if you know where to look.

You are absolutely right, this series would be much improved by the inclusion of mystical insects.

I always thought these books were lacking something small that could much improve them. That something was insects. Arya getting fleas was best passage in the books!!! Insects ftw!

PS Lamprey, a spider is arachnid, not an insect. They have 2 body segments instead of 3, making the comparison with Tolkien rather unfair. Does that make you like LoTR less now?

Normal, acceptable insects are mentioned. Other than manticore, we dont have superfreaking insects. GRRM feels free to create bonebreaking turtles, lizard lions, that reptile in the slums of Yunkai which swallowed one of the infiltrators. I was disappointed why he didnot create any supergiant mad insects, killing few and scaring most.

I'd hate supergiant insects.

Personally, I'm just upset that GRRM didn't include sea or water animals. Made it really unrealistic that there were no fish or whales or dolphins or krakens.

I'm not sure about whales and dolphins, yet for what regards fishes and krakens.. you're being ironic, aren't you? :)

Edit: uhm, maybe dolphins were seen during Daenerys sea traversal? :-/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81271-dinosaurs-in-asoiaf/

this thread talks about them

I missed it too at first. Mind was blown when I put 2+2 together

Thank you so much! :)

Archived