Bad News Baelish, or Purple Wedding 2.0?

Petyr Patter

The kissing that he engages with Sansa calls back to his kissing of Lysa and Cat.

If that is any means of a predictor, he may try to sleep/impregnate Sansa.

W/e his plans, Sansa is married to Tyrion (in the eyes of many), and Rickon is the heir of WF. If Davos reveals him with Shaggydog, Sansa loses a bunch of her safeguards.

I guess I am saying that Sansa balances upon the edge of a knife, and a single misstep will mean her downfall. The problem is that it doesn't even have to be her misstep that throws her into peril.

The kissing that he engages with Sansa calls back to his kissing of Lysa and Cat.

W/e his plans, Sansa is married to Tyrion (in the eyes of many), and Rickon is the heir of WF. If Davos reveals him with Shaggydog, Sansa loses a bunch of her safeguards.

I guess I am saying that Sansa balances upon the edge of a knife, and a single misstep will mean her downfall. The problem is that it doesn't even have to be her misstep that throws her into peril.

Yeah, but that's no different from her situation from the moment Ned was arrested. I think she's getting used to it.

Yeah, but that's no different from her situation from the moment Ned was arrested. I think she's getting used to it.

Fair, but I think the situation is a bit different: for one she is implicated in the PW (regicide) and with the resurfacing of "Arya" Sansa is no longer needed to bind WF to another family.

That is what I meant by saying how perilous her situation is. LF probably knows this (he trained Jeyne, whatever that means) and will extort Sansa with this knowledge... he is already getting those perv kisses from her.

I think that controversial Sansa chapter will shed a lot of light on Sansa's situation. For the better? Maybe, maybe not :(

Isn't it possible he plans to keep Sansa alive but kill off the other two?

- when Sansa marries Harold she is his heir. If Littlefinger marries her after that he unites his own 'claim' with her sort of 'claim' two half claims equal one reasonable? I think he really needs a noble, old claim. She is Neds daughter and the young falcons wife, she is going to be so popular.

-he will not kill Harold at the wedding, he will use the young falcon to fight the Boltons (and die in the attempt) meanwhile he will either rule the vale in his absence or keep on being lord protector for Robert.

- Harold will die first. If Robert dies and Harold gains power Littlefinger loses a lot of influence. Either he has a lot of strategy planned to keep the falcon under control or he thiks Sansa can help him. Why risk it? He should keep ruling the Eyrie through Robert and while he is still in full power arrange Sansa to be the heir and marry her.

After that Robert can collapse.

-at the moment he wants no one to know how bad Robert is doing, to keep people from speculating about the succession?

As others have mentioned, Sansa can never be the heir to the Vale of Arryn. The hereditary nobility take, well, hereditary nobility very seriously. They get to be Lords because their father or uncle or even mother were lords. They didn't get the job because they were the best suited for it. If people started thinking that way, they might be out of a job.

Furthermore, a distant Arryn might also be male, grown, knighted, and experienced in war. These are all traits preferable to Sansa who is still young, female, no experience as an administrator or leader, and her best attribute is being the child of a disposed house. The Vale Lords aren't going to have her when there are other options. If they are going to break from the traditional blood line, its going to be for somebody with a lot of clout, experience, and support.

Your later suggestion that Harold will die first because if Robert dies

I've wondered if what LF wants from Sansa is a child that he can raise as LF 2.0, and possibly make King.

Well, if he wants a child with a claim to the throne, Sansa wouldn't be a good choice. He would need a Baratheon or a Targaryen. There are two "Baratheon" princesses known to exist, Shireen and Myrcella. There is also a Targaryen, but she is kind out of his reach. Without the blood lines, Littlefinger might as well declare himself King.

On a different note, I will insist Littlefinger has no real interest in having children. He openly mocks them as a weakness in others, and his shabby treatment of adopted son Robert Arryn (there is at least a chance he is actually Littlefinger's bastard son) tells me volumes. He's 'playing the game' for himself, and has no interest in beating the other lords by creating some long lasting dynasty. Afterall, those long lasting dynasties are what he's been screwing around with his entire time in King's Landing.

Correction, Bran is the heir to Winterfell. Unless you think Bran is already Lord of Winterfell, at which point it is correct to say Rickon is his heir.

Bran can't be the lord of winterfell if he doesn't exist, which he doesn't. He's Raven Jr. and his home is in the wind and the trees. 'Lish put Jeyne Poole in place as Arya; he had the time to incorporate Poole into his plans. Her upcoming scandal serves Stannis but also can turn into a boon for LF when Stannis steps in some carefully strewn crap trap. Poole doesn't get to point out that Peter sold her into the Arya role because she won't be around to do that. Rickon also disappears in transit if all goes well. Ain't no wedding blues to worry about from here on out because that kind of repetition is tacky and that's the reason we're not in charge of writing this thing cuz we'd do another red wedding and George knows better. He'll give us something fresh. Unfortunately this means I've just invalidated myself as a prophet and will have to wait like everyone else to see what happens.

As others have mentioned, Sansa can never be the heir to the Vale of Arryn. The hereditary nobility take, well, hereditary nobility very seriously. They get to be Lords because their father or uncle or even mother were lords. They didn't get the job because they were the best suited for it. If people started thinking that way, they might be out of a job.

Furthermore, a distant Arryn might also be male, grown, knighted, and experienced in war. These are all traits preferable to Sansa who is still young, female, no experience as an administrator or leader, and her best attribute is being the child of a disposed house. The Vale Lords aren't going to have her when there are other options. If they are going to break from the traditional blood line, its going to be for somebody with a lot of clout, experience, and support.

Your later suggestion that Harold will die first because if Robert dies

Well, if he wants a child with a claim to the throne, Sansa wouldn't be a good choice. He would need a Baratheon or a Targaryen. There are two "Baratheon" princesses known to exist, Shireen and Myrcella. There is also a Targaryen, but she is kind out of his reach. Without the blood lines, Littlefinger might as well declare himself King.

On a different note, I will insist Littlefinger has no real interest in having children. He openly mocks them as a weakness in others, and his shabby treatment of adopted son Robert Arryn (there is at least a chance he is actually Littlefinger's bastard son) tells me volumes. He's 'playing the game' for himself, and has no interest in beating the other lords by creating some long lasting dynasty. Afterall, those long lasting dynasties are what he's been screwing around with his entire time in King's Landing.

Correction, Bran is the heir to Winterfell. Unless you think Bran is already Lord of Winterfell, at which point it is correct to say Rickon is his heir.

In that case, Robert is not going to die ... It would be very cool to see how Sansa loses all power again, but there are only two books left and Sansa needs to get North, preferably with an army of the Vale with her. The only way she can start playing is with a huge influence in the Vale, she cannot do that with another character we do not even know yet...

Besides, I still think if Littlefinger wants the Vale he 'll get it, besides all ancestry thingies. He has a plan that one, and Sansa is his mayor pawn to get it.

I think the OP jumps too quickly to the conclusion that gloating means he INTENDS to kill Sansa.

Personally, I am the developing the theory he is a sociopath. One feature of sociopaths is a need for admiration.

I think he tells Sansa because he wants her to ADMIRE him, and since he doesn't actually understand love, he thinks this admiration would equal love.

However, that said I do agree he kills people who know too much and who he does not trust. Sansa is safe so long as she pretends to admire him, and he believes she is loyal. But the minute that changes her life will be in serious danger and he will move on to a new plan that does not involve her.

There is this great misconception out there that to be without emotion is to be without weakness. Yet a quick survey of the psychopaths/sociopaths that fill the world's prisons would prove that this sort of person can actually be very silly. Even the very smart ones are basically without common sense.

And the thing about the praise and need for admiration is highly pertinent: Petyr may not love Catelyn or Sansa (he is after all incapable of that)* but if Sansa can give him narcissistic supply, then she could potentially put up a smoke screen that will allow her to act. Of course she first has to realise that she has reason to want Littlefinger dead.

*I think of him as a very cunning version of those dudes who throw acid on the faces of women who reject them.

Archived