Video Games: The (over-priced) Expansion

Relic

The Steam sale is upon us. Repent! Repent!

Picked up Dawnguard to finally conclude the Skyrim experience. Also, Space Hulk as it's been reduced to £7.99, which is a much more sensible price for such a limited game. And the Gods and Kings expansion for Civ V, so I can try the aforementioned Forgotten Realms mod.

Heh. This steam sale is quite relaxing compared to the GOG limited sale stress extravaganza.

Not purchasing anything yet though. Nothing I'm interested in has gone on a discount yet.

My recs: Antichamber is deliciously mindscrewyy. Think what it feels like to walk around in an esher painting. That's almost, but not quite, exactly what it feels like playing antichamber.

I bought The Witcher 2, played it for a bit but there was some tentacle monster quest that really annoyed me and I didn't get past and I've given up on the game for literally 18 Months.

Man challenges like tentacle monster are reason why this game is so great. But just wait until you beat tentacloid and meet Letho. :) But I really liked the challenge. The problem for me is, that it actually becomes easier, when you upgrade your character, probably the only game with reverse difficulty, I ever played.

Man challenges like tentacle monster are reason why this game is so great. But just wait until you beat tentacloid and meet Letho. :) But I really liked the challenge. The problem for me is, that it actually becomes easier, when you upgrade your character, probably the only game with reverse difficulty, I ever played.

The metroidvania type games have that same problem with reverse difficulty. It's one of the reasons I never really liked Castlevania Symphony of the Night despite many people thinking of it as the point where the series really started to become great. But as for The Witcher, I definitely had that problem with the first game. You start out having to be cautious every time a mob of drowners pop up, then by the end of the game they're just an annoyance that keeps you from being able to leave an area. It's a good thing igni and group style were so overpowered, otherwise all those 1 exp swarms of enemies would have been a lot more tedious to deal with.

The metroidvania type games have that same problem with reverse difficulty. It's one of the reasons I never really liked Castlevania Symphony of the Night despite many people thinking of it as the point where the series really started to become great. But as for The Witcher, I definitely had that problem with the first game. You start out having to be cautious every time a mob of drowners pop up, then by the end of the game they're just an annoyance that keeps you from being able to leave an area. It's a good thing igni and group style were so overpowered, otherwise all those 1 exp swarms of enemies would have been a lot more tedious to deal with.

That thing with drowners it's not a problem, after all it's RPG, so it's only logical that after a while such lowly creatures are easily slaughtered. The problem is even bosses are easier dealt with in 3rd act of WII than in 1st one and that should be different.

I bought The Witcher 2, played it for a bit but there was some tentacle monster quest that really annoyed me and I didn't get past and I've given up on the game for literally 18 Months.

You need to kill it in a specific manner. I couldn't do it either then I looked up a video on YouTube. Basically use the trap spell only on those arms which are glowing red, also try lowering difficulty as well as drinking potions before battle. Trust me the game is really worth it especially when you reach act 2 following iorveth.

The sale is back!! I'm just waiting for deus ex Hr to get on sale. :) Might consider Max Payne 2 and skyrims DLCs if they come.

Ok so mp2 and Skyrim dlcs are both 50% off. Should I wait or is their best deal? What do you guys think?

The Steam sale is upon us. Repent! Repent!

Picked up Dawnguard to finally conclude the Skyrim experience. Also, Space Hulk as it's been reduced to £7.99, which is a much more sensible price for such a limited game. And the Gods and Kings expansion for Civ V, so I can try the aforementioned Forgotten Realms mod.

The F.R. mod appears pretty damned solid. played about 2 hours of it the other day. Gor decimated by an Ogre Mage. I wish it was multiplayer tho.

OH

MY

GOD

Skyrim for 7.50. Thank you, Lord Gaben.

Dear Paradox, please put the Crusader Kings II DLC on sale. K, thx.

Woah, I hope you got the Leg edition for a couple of bucks more. Buying the Leg edition is cheaper than buying all the expacs if you already have the standard edition.

For Skyrim, I borrowed it from a friend and played it on PS3, and I haven't played the expansions. So would it be worth it just to get the Leg pack from Steam, and start all over again on PC (since my character is on ps3)?

I don't know how much the console game of the year versions (that come with the expacks) usually retail for, so I'm considering starting from scratch on PC. So if I do go PC,

1) What is the best site for mods? I havent explored modding for any PC game as of yet, but all the cool stuff I'm seeing is rather enticing. The games that I have that may be modded are oblivion, arma 2, half-life 2, and probably some others that I've forgotten about.

2) Are the Skyrim expansions even any good? I heard in one of them you get to ride a dragon, which sounds awesome.

For Skyrim, I borrowed it from a friend and played it on PS3, and I haven't played the expansions. So would it be worth it just to get the Leg pack from Steam, and start all over again on PC (since my character is on ps3)?

I don't know how much the console game of the year versions (that come with the expacks) usually retail for, so I'm considering starting from scratch on PC. So if I do go PC,

1) What is the best site for mods? I havent explored modding for any PC game as of yet, but all the cool stuff I'm seeing is rather enticing. The games that I have that may be modded are oblivion, arma 2, half-life 2, and probably some others that I've forgotten about.

2) Are the Skyrim expansions even any good? I heard in one of them you get to ride a dragon, which sounds awesome.

Best site by far is Skyrim Nexus. They have a far larger selection of mods than on Steam, and I do believe you can download the Skyrim ENBs from the Nexus, which makes the game look EXTREMELY realistic. Dawnguard is supposed to be alright, but not great. There are mods just like Hearthfire, so its probably not worth buying. Solstheim is where you can ride a dragon. It takes you back to an island near Morrowind, which to me will always be the best TES game. Out of all the DLC, Solstheim is easily the best.

Barbie Dreamhouse Party appears to be a journey into the heart of madness.

I was expecting a garish pink mess of dress-up minigames and saccharine terror, obviously, but Dreamhouse Party seems to take this into a whole other realm of creepy weirdness. This is a game in which a sentient closet-based AI locks four girls in a room (with giant metal barriers) because one of them smudged her make-up, and forces them to repeatedly apply lipstick and eyeliner to freakishly giant doll heads until he is satisfied. That’s not my arch interpretation of events. That’s what actually happens.

You’ll enter Barbie’s opulent mansion, built from the tears of the decades of children her organless torso has traumatised. At this point, three screeching idiot friends join her, representing all of humanity: Dangerously thin and brunette, dangerously thin and black, and dangerously thin and a bit rock but not enough to worry anyone. The four of them are pratting about in the living room, playing Barbie’s favourite videogame, when Not-Quite-Rock-Chick gets bored and decides to sabotage the evening. She approach’s Barbie’s massive bleeping, blooping 1960s space station computer that she has, and just starts hitting random buttons to make the stupid game they’re playing stop working. But uh-oh, in doing so she triggers an apparently malevolent AI that Barbie has built into her warehouse-like wardrobe. I swear I’m not making this up.

The robot, called Closet, and unquestionably inspired by GLaDOS, then brings down massive metal shutters across all the doorways, trapping the doll-things and declaring they will now be forced to complete minigames. The bathroom’s minigame involved scrubbing horses. In Chelsea’s bedroom I was forced to accessorize, matching belts and earrings to the dress Barbie’s wearing. Except it made me put clashing pinks and reds together, which was an affront. In the kitchen I had to throw cupcakes at a table. In the garage I had to drop cogs down a hole.

This seemed redundant:

It’s worth noting that the game’s absolutely fucking terrible.

Great reddit thread on all the best Skyrim mods http://ww.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/1regt3/best_of_mods_must_haves_as_of_nov_2013/

Just bought the Legendary Edition, spent all my Steam Wallet money that I was saving for The Walking Dead Season 2.

Damn you, Steam sales!

Oh my God, the Inconsequential NPCs and Populated Cities mods are awesome!

I think I've mentioned that I tried firing up The Witcher 2 again recently after putting it aside midway through Chapter 2 well over a year ago. It hasn't gone well. I just don't find it fun enough to be worthwhile when the story isn't really pulling me in; mostly because I don't remotely care about Geralt as a character.

I'm pretty sure the studio's said that #3 will be the end of Geralt's story, but not the end of series. I'm hoping that #4 then, whenever that may be, has a more interesting main character; because in theory I should love this series, and I find it frustrating that I don't. While gameplay isn't fun enough to be worth going through when I'm not interested in the story, it isn't bad by any means; and I'd be happy to play it if I cared more about what's happening.

Best site by far is Skyrim Nexus. They have a far larger selection of mods than on Steam, and I do believe you can download the Skyrim ENBs from the Nexus, which makes the game look EXTREMELY realistic. Dawnguard is supposed to be alright, but not great. There are mods just like Hearthfire, so its probably not worth buying. Solstheim is where you can ride a dragon. It takes you back to an island near Morrowind, which to me will always be the best TES game. Out of all the DLC, Solstheim is easily the best.

Holy hell this is some kind of mod-gasm! I grabbed the legendary pack last night, and was shocked at how many mods there are on the Nexus. So many to choose from! Anyway, there goes my holiday season...

Edit: Now I'm currently downloading a mod that will do this (from Steam community, not Nexus):

http://i.imgur.com/lYCSU7p.jpg

Elite: Dangerous cockpit musings.

Interesting to see if this makes it out before Star Citizen. I don't think it's going to make its April/May date but may late summer to early autumn next year.

Taking a break from Enemy Within - I think I might have ODed on the original too many times - to give Space Hulk a while. Apparently some of the launch issues have been fixed.

Archived