Why didn't Tywin marry Sansa?

The Dragon King

Because whoever married Sansa would eventually have to go North with her son to take up regent-lordship in Winterfell and Tywin meant to stay in KL as Hand. Also, whichever Lannister married her, it would be rape. Tywin never does his evil acts with his own hands, he always has someone else do his dirty work.

Because in the end, Tywin was a coward. To have sex with Sansa, he must rape her(since Sansa would never consent). Tywin does not commit any of his crimes personally, and has to get someone else to do his dirty work. He's a gigantic chickenshit. That's why he still tries to act noble despite the fact that he is just a gigantic mass murderer. This is why he had Tyrion marry her. So now Tyrion would be the rapist and Tywin's "honor" is intact.

Tywin has never married since Joanna died, and would probably never married even if he had lived. Tywin loved her and unlikely to remarry. Also, I think Tywin never gave up hope that some day Jaime would become his heir to Casterly Rock no matter how many times Jaime refused or shouldn't be allowed to since he was part of the Kingsguard, and any future children may have either helped Jaime feel more justified not taking the lordship or caused problems down the line especially since Jaime should not be able to inherit and would have to break his Kingsguard vows and leave in order to gain Casterly Rock.

Whatever one says about Tywin, he does seem to have an interest in setting up relatives with nice situtations. For example, his sister's husband, and in the long-term his nephew, at Riverrun; Lancel with the Darry feif. Setting up Tyrion with the North by placing a Stark back in Winterfell may have made political sense and actuallly set up a nice situation for Tyrion. Tywin already had a nice deal set up as Lord of Casterly Rock. So, he was kid of set.

As a side note, it hadn't previously registered with me that Tywin has no expectation that Roose Bolton will be able to hold together the North. Otherwise, it wouldn't make as much sense for Tyrion to marry Sansa. I remember him at some point remarking that the people in the North will want the Starks once Winter comes, but this seems a bit more like pacing a bet on Bolton failure. I suppose he may have just wanted to ensure that the Tyrells didn't get there hands on Sansa and have claim to Winterfell.

Archived