The Sopranos: Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in (Spoilers)

Tony Soprano

I know many people regard it as one of the seminal episodes of the series, but I have to say my reaction regarding the events with Adriana were pretty much the same as they were the first time around; I wasn't surprised at what happened, I was a little sad about but it didn't upset me as much as some of the other deaths.

Just curious, which deaths upset you the most? Adriana got to me the most by far. She knew about Chris and the lifestyle, but for the most part she was one of the more innocent characters. She tried to get Chris to leave the mob several times. The little teaser day dream of her leaving right before her death is heartbreaking. I always felt really bad for Angelo Garepe to. He just wanted to retire and enjoy his grandkids, but in the mob that just isn't an option. Seeing him go into the trunk of Phil's care always bothered me. I totally understand why Tony B reacted the way he did.

Adriana is probably the no.1 for me. It was shocking, and she was a good character.

Ralphie killing that dance girl was a real hit.

Chris, Bobby and Vito all in that final season. Tony's fight with Ralphie of course. Ralphie was Tony's best enemy in this series by far in my opinion. Such a hideous individual in every way.

Jackie Jr's death I always found memorable as well. It's Vito who does it and gets brutally murdered himself later on.

I really loathed nearly every single character on the show, so I can't really say I was that upset when any of them died. Maybe Adriana, but that's it. I was actually happy when Chris met his maker, I hated that asshole even more than Tony.

How could you stand to watch the show if you hated all the characters that much? Most of the characters were certainly not good people by any stretch, but some of them had redeeming qualities that made me care what happened to them.

Adriana is probably the no.1 for me. It was shocking, and she was a good character.

Ralphie killing that dance girl was a real hit.

Chris, Bobby and Vito all in that final season. Tony's fight with Ralphie of course. Ralphie was Tony's best enemy in this series by far in my opinion. Such a hideous individual in every way.

Jackie Jr's death I always found memorable as well. It's Vito who does it and gets brutally murdered himself later on.

Totally agree on Tracy and Bobby. Chris lost all my sympathy the episode before he died, when he killed J.T. for no reason, other than he was drunk, and J.T. hurt his feelings. Vito's death was extremely brutal, but again, I lost my sympathy for him when he killed the guy he hit was his car.

How could you stand to watch the show if you hated all the characters that much? Most of the characters were certainly not good people by any stretch, but some of them had redeeming qualities that made me care what happened to them.

I don't know. It's really a testament to the writers that I loved the show despite hating everyone on it. Out of the main characters, the only one I could actually stand was Uncle Junior. Not that he was any more moral than Tony or Chris or the other guys, but we never really saw his demonic side on screen IIRC.

I don't know. It's really a testament to the writers that I loved the show despite hating everyone on it. Out of the main characters, the only one I could actually stand was Uncle Junior. Not that he was any more moral than Tony or Chris or the other guys, but we never really saw his demonic side on screen IIRC.

Fair enough. Loved Uncle Junior. At least he was sick over ordering the hit on Tony.

Just curious, which deaths upset you the most? Adriana got to me the most by far. She knew about Chris and the lifestyle, but for the most part she was one of the more innocent characters. She tried to get Chris to leave the mob several times. The little teaser day dream of her leaving right before her death is heartbreaking. I always felt really bad for Angelo Garepe to. He just wanted to retire and enjoy his grandkids, but in the mob that just isn't an option. Seeing him go into the trunk of Phil's care always bothered me. I totally understand why Tony B reacted the way he did.

I think I may have talked about this on the older thread but Ralphie beating the Bada Bing stripper who was pregnant with his child to death one of the most disturbing scenes of the entire series to me. I know she was only a one off character and not important to the series the way Adriana was, but she was such a sad character.

The was she was treated throughout the show too (not just by Ralphie, but all the guys Tony included) was horrible. Silvio drags her out of Ralphie's house by her hair telling her that until she pays him back the $3000 she owes him for her braces, she belongs to him and has to keep turning tricks. Even after she's dead Tony's the only one who even remotely expresses any regret towards her, the rest of them are more upset that Ralphie "disrespected the Bing." If anything, that episode made Adriana's end more believable to me; you got to see how low there were capable of being.

The was she was treated throughout the show too (not just by Ralphie, but all the guys Tony included) was horrible. Silvio drags her out of Ralphie's house by her hair telling her that until she pays him back the $3000 she owes him for her braces, she belongs to him and has to keep turning tricks.

And after that, Ralphie doesn't want to kiss her with that "how many dicks you suck tonight" line. As if she has any choice in the matter.

That was a really brutal period for the Sopranos. Two episodes before was Employee of the Month with Melfi's rape. Then the skeevie episode where Artie is hitting on Adriana. Then University, where Tracy gets killed and this is contrasted with Meadow and her dbag boyfriend.

And after that, Ralphie doesn't want to kiss her with that "how many dicks you suck tonight" line. As if she has any choice in the matter.

That was a really brutal period for the Sopranos. Two episodes before was Employee of the Month with Melfi's rape. Then the skeevie episode where Artie is hitting on Adriana. Then University, where Tracy gets killed and this is contrasted with Meadow and her dbag boyfriend.

David Chase said that he wrote University because he felt that people were starting to become too amused by Tony and his crew; they were becoming too like-able and he wanted to remind people how dark they really were and what kind of brutality they were capable of.

I think my reaction to that episode versus "Long Term Parking" also has to do with where it falls in the series. It's towards the beginning of season three whereas "Long Term Parking" is at the end of season five. By that point, we've seen so many other people get taken out (or on the brink of being taken out) who were close to the family (Jackie Jr., etc.) that Adriana getting whacked just seemed inevitable to me. Sad, but inevitibable.

I think I may have talked about this on the older thread but Ralphie beating the Bada Bing stripper who was pregnant with his child to death one of the most disturbing scenes of the entire series to me. I know she was only a one off character and not important to the series the way Adriana was, but she was such a sad character.

The was she was treated throughout the show too (not just by Ralphie, but all the guys Tony included) was horrible. Silvio drags her out of Ralphie's house by her hair telling her that until she pays him back the $3000 she owes him for her braces, she belongs to him and has to keep turning tricks. Even after she's dead Tony's the only one who even remotely expresses any regret towards her, the rest of them are more upset that Ralphie "disrespected the Bing." If anything, that episode made Adriana's end more believable to me; you got to see how low there were capable of being.

Yeah, that was definitely an incredibly disturbing episode, and also one of my favorites of the whole series. It wasn't just the end where Tracy dies (although was was bad enough). The whole episode has this extremely creepy vibe, it's almost like the backroom at the Bing is one of Dante's circles of hell. A bunch of obese, obnoxious psychopaths abusing young women together like they were toys. The threesome with Ralphie, Tracy and the police is more disturbing than most horror movies. :(

Bobby's death was definitely one of the most upsetting things in the whole show for me. Despite of him being part of the thing, he was a genuinely nice guy, and I don't think we ever came across someone else like him in the show. I don't know, I guess I just always had a soft spot for Bobby.

I also agree with the others about Tracy's death, that was horribly brutal, and what made it even worse was how no one cared about it. Same goes for the Phil-lookalike in the last episode. He and his daughter were killed because of the Sicilians' itchy trigger fingers. And again, no one gave a fuck about them.

Totally agree on Tracy and Bobby. Chris lost all my sympathy the episode before he died, when he killed J.T. for no reason, other than he was drunk, and J.T. hurt his feelings.

Not that this redeems Christopher by any means, but I saw Chris killing J.T. more because, in his own emotional outburst, he let go wayyyyy too much about his business than he should have. You kind of see Chris realize this when J.T. snaps him out of it by saying "Chris, you're in the MAFIA!!". which is right when Chris shoots him. More to do with that than having his feelings hurt IMO, though I'm sure that contributed.

Bobby's death was definitely one of the most upsetting things in the whole show for me. Despite of him being part of the thing, he was a genuinely nice guy, and I don't think we ever came across someone else like him in the show. I don't know, I guess I just always had a soft spot for Bobby.

I also agree with the others about Tracy's death, that was horribly brutal, and what made it even worse was how no one cared about it. Same goes for the Phil-lookalike in the last episode. He and his daughter were killed because of the Sicilians' itchy trigger fingers. And again, no one gave a fuck about them.

Shouldn't be morbid like this, but on the flip-side, one of the most deserved (and slightly entertaining) deaths had to be Phil's real death; "Say bye-bye Pop-Pop!!!"

Archived