Notable Releases
From the Store
Game of Thrones 2014 Wall Calendar
Game of Thrones 2014 Calendar
HBO US
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

What are the religions of the Stark kids ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gneisenau

Gneisenau

Got lost trying to find Greywater Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

In particular did Robb convert when he married Jeyne or did he have an Old Gods marriage ?

#2 Fostofina

Fostofina

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

I don't think that he needs to convert at all, he's considered married to her no matter which god he swears his vows too.

#3 Dain Storm

Dain Storm

Knight of the Marches

• Members
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Well, Robb is also a Tully. No doubt he was taught about the Faith.

#4 Pod The Rod

Pod The Rod

Council Member

• Members
  • 839 posts

All of them adhere to the Old Gods.

Sansa was heavily influenced by the Seven as a child; it's the religion of the wonderful chivalrous south after all. But as time passes, and she grows disillusioned, she returns to her spiritual roots.

Arya is straying a bit, what with the MFG and all that. But she too will remember the one true faith in the end.

#5 Fat Trell

Fat Trell

Glo Gang

• Members
  • 821 posts

In particular did Robb convert when he married Jeyne or did he have an Old Gods marriage ?

No, that was a show only abomination.

As for the rest:

• Arya has always preferred her father's gods. Now she's in a death cult though, so who knows?
  • Sansa leaned toward the Seven until her father's death and her disillusionment with King's Landing in general. Now she prefers the Old Gods.
  • Robb has apparently always kept his father's gods.
  • Ironically, Bran was probably the second most likely Stark child to worship the Seven at the start of the series. Now he is hardly an unbiased party on this matter.
  • Rickon is too young to know.

Edited by Ser Marlo the Black, 09 April 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#6 David Selig

David Selig

Council Member

• Members
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

He didn't need to convert. Ned got married in a sept without converting.

Edited by David Selig, 09 April 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#7 Chalais

Chalais

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Like most people in Westeros the Starks seem perfectly comfortable blurring the worship of the Old Gods with the New.

Even in the south people would say/think 'by the Old Gods and the New' or things along that line.

It's only with the Ironmen invading in the name of the Drowned God, the Faith growing more Militant, and arrival of the Fire God that religious identity in Westeros has begun to harden.

#8 Bright Blue Eyes

Bright Blue Eyes

Scaring Crows

• Members
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

They kept both pantheons. Three or more in Arya's case. Just like most people in the good old days before singular, all-mighty gods excluding all competition.

#9 Lord Thornhart

Lord Thornhart

Council Member

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

They worship the Old Gods and the New because they are from the North and the South. Jon just worships the Old because that is all he knows about his ancestry.

#10 Tree in the North

Tree in the North

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

• Rickon is too young to know

Rickon is growing up on Skagos with a Direwolf that he wargs and a wildling as a foster mother. I'm pretty sure he's going Old Gods.

#11 Pod The Impaler

Pod The Impaler

In The Mouth Of Starkness

• Members
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

Sansa primarily worships her mother's gods, the Seven. You see it in her thoughts - I'd put her at about 90% The Seven.

As someone said, Bran was probably most likely going to follow his mother to some degree, but now it's all about the Old Gods. 

Robb had some respect for the faith of the Seven, clearly, but I think the Old Gods were more his style.

Rickon is ???? as long as we actually see him, but I think having Osha as an adoptive parent will put him squarely in the Old Gods camp.

Jon is firmly with the Old Gods, though clearly a certain red priestess views him as a potential R'Hillor convert.

Arya is definitely in the camp of the Old Gods, a decidedly "pagan" she-wolf. Yet, her faith in anything has been sorely pressed, and who knows whether she's really a follower of the Many Faced God, or just going through some sort of agnostic period in her life.

#12 Waylin Stark

Waylin Stark

The Frost King

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:31 AM

I'm sure all of them worshiped the Old Gods by AGoT.

Robb - Most likely kept to his father's gods. You can marry in a sept without converting, like Ned did.

Sansa - Seemed drawn to the Seven, but by ASoS she's all for the Old Gods again.

Bran - Old Gods. No reason for him to worship the Seven.

Arya - Formerly Old Gods, now Death.

Rickon - Probably doesn't know/care yet, later on the Old Gods.

Jon - Old Gods.

#13 Waylin Stark

Waylin Stark

The Frost King

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Sansa primarily worships her mother's gods, the Seven. You see it in her thoughts - I'd put her at about 90% The Seven.

Yeah, but as of ASoS, hasn't she converted to the Old Gods?

#14 HouseHarrison

HouseHarrison

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

Old Gods. Cat officially converted when she married Ned

#15 RumHam

RumHam

Commoner

• Members
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Old Gods. Cat officially converted when she married Ned

Uh, no she didn't.  That's why Ned built her a sept, and why she goes to pray in a Sept while visiting Renly's camp.

#16 Queen Sansa Stark

Queen Sansa Stark

The Mother Wolf

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yeah, but as of ASoS, hasn't she converted to the Old Gods?

She favored in AGOT the Seven Gods in ACOK and ASOS she prayed to both of them, but by AFFC she is leaning more to the Old Gods. 

#17 RumHam

RumHam

Commoner

• Members
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

She favored in AGOT the Seven Gods in ACOK and ASOS she prayed to both of them, but by AFFC she is leaning more to the Old Gods. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember this.  Could you provide a quote or two?  I don't really see how she could pray to the Old Gods in a place that doesn't even have a Godswood. 

#18 Queen Sansa Stark

Queen Sansa Stark

The Mother Wolf

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember this.  Could you provide a quote or two?  I don't really see how she could pray to the Old Gods in a place that doesn't even have a Godswood. 

Well there is a sept in the Eyrie, but she never visits it so I assume that she favors the old gods. 

#19 RumHam

RumHam

Commoner

• Members
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Well there is a sept in the Eyrie, but she never visits it so I assume that she favors the old gods. 

Ah ok.  Though it's still possible she's just become somewhat agnostic after all that has happened to her.  I'd have to check her chapters and see if she thinks about gods or prayer. I know she "prays"
that little Robert Arryn will behave and that the Vale Lords won't recognize her and stuff like that, but that doesn't really count as religious prayer.

#20 Waylin Stark

Waylin Stark

The Frost King

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, that's what I though.

I also thought that her abandonment of her identity as Sansa Stark made her incline more towards the gods of her House.