Prince Rhaegar better dead?

Parizad

I for one am really glad that Prince Rhaegar is not alive when the events of the books are happening. I hate fiction (book, movie, whatever) with an omnipotent, god-like perfect hero. Rhaegar seems to be just the kind; infinitely intelligent, valiant, artistic, melancholy in a good way, beautiful, good with women and seemingly somewhat with men and a prince on top of it all... He does make a great legend though and I am sooo glad that GRRM wrote him just like the legend he is, after his death. The chances are, he is just like other legends in "our universe", exagerated into being a legend. I mean although he was distinguishable in all that aspects he was not legendary but the interesting circumstances of his life and death set the stage for him to become bigger than what he really was after his death. Does anyone else agree with me?

Homeboy was far from perfect. At worst kidnapped another woman, at best absconded away with her and abandoned his wife and children. Wasn't a perfect warrior/strategist either, was defeated in battle and single combat by Robert Baratheon. He was just canonized after death as a sort melancholic martyr type figure for a lost cause. Happens all the time.

I for one am really glad that Prince Rhaegar is not alive when the events of the books are happening. I hate fiction (book, movie, whatever) with an omnipotent, god-like perfect hero. Rhaegar seems to be just the kind; infinitely intelligent, valiant, artistic, melancholy in a good way, beautiful, good with women and seemingly somewhat with men and a prince on top of it all... He does make a great legend though and I am sooo glad that GRRM wrote him just like the legend he is, after his death. The chances are, he is just like other legends in "our universe", exagerated into being a legend. I mean although he was distinguishable in all that aspects he was not legendary but the interesting circumstances of his life and death set the stage for him to become bigger than what he really was after his death. Does anyone else agree with me?

To the most extent, yes. I think that the fact there used to be people like Rhaegar and Arthur Dayne and they are now dead is consistent with the universe Martin is painting to us. For example, the wall used to be an honorable order, well manned, and not a prison for rapists and bastards, but those times are gone.

And I warn you, this will turn into a Rhaegar bashing and defending thread, unfortunatelly, no matter that it's not intended that way.

Well Rhaegar's a rapist so yeah. He's not so perfect.

And before you say "but nay rhaegar's cool'n'shit he'd never do that."

This is ASOIAF.

We have no information to claim that he was rapist. He has other flaws, though

But, more interestingly, why is OP copy/pasted?

I have no doubt if GRRM kept him alive, he'd quickly be written into a "shade of grey" character like everyone else in the series.

Or turn into Prince Herbert from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

After all, all he wants to do is to express himself in song.

Now who really is better off dead so everyone remembers him as perfect, is Arthur Dayne. I'm hoping on some nasty reveals on this so called perfect knight in the upcomming books, so everyone sees him as the questionable figure he probably was. The man helped Rhaegar in his despicable actions, held Lyanna captive and away from her own brother and furthermore murdered some of the North's best Lords. All instead of protecting his rightful kings Aerys and Viserys.

Well Rhaegar's a rapist so yeah. He's not so perfect.

And before you say "but nay rhaegar's cool'n'shit he'd never do that."

This is ASOIAF.

LOL I was not going to say that... but the rape story may not be true, as Lyanna being a lot like Arya is prone to go of her own will

I think I must clarify:

I know that Rhaegar was not perfect, that is EXACTLY my point!

He was a bad family man, he put his lover in danger (if he was not raping her), the very action started a war that wrecked Westeros and finished the reign and line of his house. He then could not defeat Robert.

BUT people recall him like a god anyway. Even his faults seem legendary. He was a great swordsman even though he died in Trident, he was a valiant man despite shaming his wife, he was a good prince even though he sat out by playing tourneys and his harp while his father was doing the most horrible deeds... The thing is everyone knows these stories but still he is worshiped like a god as a perfect prince

Now who really is better off dead so everyone remembers him as perfect, is Arthur Dayne. I'm hoping on some nasty reveals on this so called perfect knight in the upcomming books, so everyone sees him as the questionable figure he probably was. The man helped Rhaegar in his despicable actions, held Lyanna captive and away from her own brother and furthermore murdered some of the North's best Lords. All instead of protecting his rightful kings Aerys and Viserys.

Well, this is the same Dayne who stood by while Aerys killed people like Brandon and Rickard, and raped his wife. All the KG did nothing in the face of Aerys' insanity and brutality.

Isn't the duty of the King's guard to protect the Royal Family, isn't part of their vows to obey?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but if the Royal Prince whom had the say so of the King as they were with him when he took Lyanna, the only thing that Dayne was doing was his duty!

His duty to go and do what the royal family wants, no matter his own feelings about the matter. The same applies to Selmy whom was only doing his duty when Aerys was burning people, raping his wife and other nasty things was doing his duty by not slitting the mans throat for Jamie.

As to Rheagar and being the perfect Prince well after reading this story there is no such thing as a perfect anything. Perfect is for small children and fools, perfect sets a lot of people up for disappointment. Perfect gets people killed, (Ned Stark anyone)

We have no information to claim that he was rapist. He has other flaws, though

But, more interestingly, why is OP copy/pasted?

Rape in the classic sense means to carry off a woman; the rest is just presumed and is a more relevant term in that regard in today's age.

So yeah, he's still a rapist.

Lyanna was under age and betrothed to someone else.

Rape in the classic sense means to carry off a woman; the rest is just presumed and is a more relevant term in that regard in today's age.

So yeah, he's still a rapist.

Lyanna was under age and betrothed to someone else.

I don't know the medieval English, thus am restricted to it, but I do know that in modern English rape=/= kidnapping. And we even have a lot to dispute that Lyanna wasn't kidnapped.

So, no, he is not rapist.

Well, this is the same Dayne who stood by while Aerys killed people like Brandon and Rickard, and raped his wife. All the KG did nothing in the face of Aerys' insanity and brutality.

Dayne got magically teleported to KL while Aerys was having Rickard and Brandon murdered?

Archived