Why do people keep putting up with the Greyjoys?

Catastrophe

Apparently Dalton actually served as Master of Ships, according to the Wiki

That's not accurate. Aegon II offered him the position, but he did not reply. He then attacked the Lannisters on behalf of Rhaenyra, but so far we have no indication she made him master of anything.

The Red Kraken, Lord Dalton Greyjoy, fell upon the Westerlands when Jason had marched, causing great damage.

http://www.historyofwesteros.com/concarolinas-westerlands-reading/

@martellotorres I agree with you sorta but look at dragonstone with stannis, a strong military commander with the backing of the throne and other lord paramounts stannis held Dragonstone, the targ base of power where the families were vassels to the crown prince, and years later those houses follow stannis in the wo5k. so for aguements sake let's say after balon rebelled the first time I think king bob could of ousted greyjoys and put umm I dunno blackfiah or kevin lamnister in charge based on their family being lord paramounts and the backkng of throne plus starks those two might of been able to do it

The young Dragon tried that with Dorne. Didn't work. And that was with a Tyrell trying to keep order, the reach having at least twice as many men as Dorne.

No family has twice as many ships as the Ironborn, not even close. They would simply drown the pretender and elect a new king through Kingsmoot, and there's absolutely nothing anyone could do about it, short of the king of the IT gathering his armies yet again.

In the grand scheme of things, the ironborn really don't do much except harangue coastal hamlets. They're a nuisance, but nothing to really go in and exterminate them for. The only times they've really caused a major problem are when other factors (other wars, etc.) cause them to seize an opportunity. Take the rebellions Balon Greyjoy started up. No doubt the second one would've amounted to nothing, but then the sack of Winterfell happened and caused a snowball effect.

As for why they keep the Greyjoys in power, remember that the Greyjoys are among the oldest and most well-regarded families on the islands; if you remove them, you're basically having to install someone else there, and it's a "better the devil you know" scenario. Ned Stark intended to foster Theon as a man of honor so that when he did eventually take over as heir, he could put some modicum of discipline into the ironborn, or at least those loyal to the Greyjoys.

Ned Stark intended to foster Theon as a man of honor so that when he did eventually take over as heir, he could put some modicum of discipline into the ironborn, or at least those loyal to the Greyjoys.

Pure speculation. There isn't a hint of such intent from Ned in any of his POV chapters.

And even if that was his plan, it wouldn't have worked. If the Ironborn didn't drown him shortly after taking his father's place, his uncle Euron would sort it out and take the throne himself.

For the same reason that everybody puts up with the Kardashians, they're amusing.

I realize this was meant as a joke, but come on. One is a group of murderous pirates, the other is far far worse.

Obviosly the Targs let the Greyjoys and Ironmen continue their practice so we can discuss it more and more....How many times has this topic come up now?

At any rate, many small scale wars appear to happen amongst the lords of Westeros. It just appears that the Wardens and Great Houses are supposed to curb them when this happens (something Tytos refused to do).

For the same reason that everybody puts up with the Kardashians, they're amusing.

Are they? I can't say I'm even interested in self-centred, attention-seeking..... Amusing? I hope you're joking.

On the other hand, if you're referring to Cardassians (Deep Space Nine).... There I do see a similarity. Siding with The Dominion carries a comparison with Greyjoys and Targaryens. They're doomed, always to be the losers, and scapegoats.

Archived