Who is Tommen's rightful heir?

Archmaester Drew

There is more than one way to skin a cat...

Who is Tommen Baratheon's rightful heir? If you follow Andal Law it would seem to be Myrcella, but if you follow the Targaryen/Valyrian traditions it could be Stannis!

See this thread for an interesting account of succession laws:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115834-contemplating-targaryen-succession/

So, who is the rightful heir?

(Note: No cats were harmed in the making of this thread, particularly not Ser Pounce!)

;)

Why would you follow Targaryen law? The Baratheons are andals.

Myrcella is the heir for what its worth, which is not much.

Because the Realm was united by Targaryens and rule by their law for nearly 300 years; and Robert claimed the kingship by right of conquest, but was also legitimized through his Targaryen grandmother, Rhaelle Baratheon (nee Targaryen).

The Baratheons are NOT Andals. Orys Baratheon was Aegon's General, and possibly his bastard brother. He conquered the Storm King and married his daughter to secure the Stormlands.

That's why!

:)

Because the Realm was united by Targaryens and rule by their law for nearly 300 years; and Robert claimed the kingship by right of conquest, but was also legitimized through his Targaryen grandmother, Rhaelle Baratheon (nee Targaryen).

That's why!

The Targayren ancestry was just a pretext. It was straight up right of conquest.

Ordinarily it would be Stannis, if they were still following Targaryen custom (the books never specify but for what it's worth, the show on two occasions explains succession as following the Targ custom). However, Stannis has almost certainly been attainted by the government in King's Landing and removed from succession. As such, Myrcella would be recognized as Tommen's heir.

Ordinarily it would be Stannis, if they were still following Targaryen custom (the books never specify but for what it's worth, the show on two occasions explains succession as following the Targ custom). However, Stannis has almost certainly been attainted by the government in King's Landing and removed from succession. As such, Myrcella would be recognized as Stannis's heir.

Ah, yes! Of course. (I'm still new here.)

Well, I'm just trying to get some kind of friendly debate going on this forum, but somebody's always got the answer!

Oh well, back to vacuous 'what's your favorite fill-in-the-blank' posts...

;)

Ah, yes! Of course. (I'm still new here.)

Well, I'm just trying to get some kind of friendly debate going on this forum, but somebody's always got the answer!

Oh well, back to vacuous 'what's your favorite fill-in-the-blank' posts...

;)

Don't worry about that.

Let's consider that Tommen lives enough to sire sons and he actually wins and keeps the throne, then his sons go first and later, Myrcella. She is also the current lady of Storm's End, I suppose, while Cersei goes for CR.

The Baratheons are NOT Andals. Orys Baratheon was Aegon's General, and possibly his bastard brother. He conquered the Storm King and married his daughter to secure the Stormlands.

That's why!

Robert didn't style himself a Targaryen. It's a completely new dynasty. The Targaryen blood was just a way of giving the Targaryen supporters a bone. He was, by far, the worst of the choices to be king, if we assume the pool is Hoster, Jon, Ned, and Robert (maybe Tywin).

And the Baratheons are definitely Andals. Orys might not have been an Andal, but the Durrandons were. The Baratheons had also been intermarrying with other Andal houses for 300 years since AL.

Ordinarily it would be Stannis, if they were still following Targaryen custom (the books never specify but for what it's worth, the show on two occasions explains succession as following the Targ custom). However, Stannis has almost certainly been attainted by the government in King's Landing and removed from succession. As such, Myrcella would be recognized as Tommen's heir.

Apparently not. The High Septon was relieved when Cersei denied the accusations of incest because that would mean Stannis is the rightful King.

Myrcella is Tommen "Baratheon's" heir as a daughter comes before a brother.

Apparently not. The High Septon was relieved when Cersei denied the accusations of incest because that would mean Stannis is the rightful King.

Myrcella is Tommen "Baratheon's" heir as a daughter comes before a brother.

Fair enough. I do have to wonder where D&D got their notion otherwise, since both of the instances in which the explanation occurs can only be called an info dump, especially where Sansa and her septa are concerned.

I'm also not sure the septon's worry says what you think it does. Cersei's incest would invalidate BOTH Tommen and Myrcella and make Stannis the rightful king. That's independent of whether Stannis or Myrcella would be Tommen's heir. And if the incest is a lie, then Stannis is still attainted and out of the succession regardless.

Fair enough. I do have to wonder where D&D got their notion otherwise, since both of the instances in which the explanation occurs can only be called an info dump, especially where Sansa and her septa are concerned.

I'm also not sure the septon's worry says what you think it does. Cersei's incest would invalidate BOTH Tommen and Myrcella and make Stannis the rightful king. That's independent of whether Stannis or Myrcella would be Tommen's heir. And if the incest is a lie, then Stannis is still attainted and out of the succession regardless.

I'm not sure you get what I'm saying.

If Tommen is taken as a Baratheon, Myrcella would be his heir and Stannis would be her heir. But the High Septon being relieved that Cersei denied commiting incest, is probably because Stannis would be the rightful King and he's taken up the Fire God.

Oh, certainly if it was accepted they were bastards & not the king's it is game over for them in every way.

In fact, even if they were bastards but Robert was really their father, they would still officially fall behind any trueborn claimants (unless legitimized by Robert before he died).

However, power has a way of bending the public truth to be what it wants, so that's why there is even a Baratheon versus some "Baratheons" in the first place.

I'm not sure you get what I'm saying.

If Tommen is taken as a Baratheon, Myrcella would be his heir and Stannis would be her heir. But the High Septon being relieved that Cersei denied commiting incest, is probably because Stannis would be the rightful King and he's taken up the Fire God.

Yes, this is true.

The Faith may have their own reasons why they prefer Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella's assertion be considered true, even contrary to the facts.

Archived