Sophie Turner: Sansa's story going in different direction from books (book spoilers likely in thread)

Robb_Warged

The characters on the show are beginning to differ substantially from their book counterparts, so it seems only natural that the storyline for theTV series will eventually change as well. The show and books may hit some of the same story outcomes, but the characters and the journey they took to reach these points may be vastly different.

We know Jaime is going to Dorne, the Tysha incident is no longer of any import, Arienne has been cut and so it seems have the Greyjoys and possibly even Young Griff. The producers have shown little interest in faithfully adapting Sansa's storyline and character from S1 onwards, so this really is not unexpected.

It's not a surprise that Santa's storyline has gone off the books, since we've already seen it happen in season 4. Whether or not Sansa's storyline in season 5 is going off the books or following The Winds of Winter storyline Is something that few people would know, probably only Benioff, Weiss and Martin. Sophie does not, and I don't think she's talking about whether the the show is sticking to TWOW, but about season 4 not sticking to AFFC.

In any case, did anyone really think they would be adapting that one remaining AFFC chapter and stretching it throughout season 5? Due to how season 4 went, season 5 was always going to be either TWOW material for Sansa, or some invented material. But none of us, including Sophie, would know the difference, before TWOW is published.

The characters on the show are beginning to differ substantially from their book counterparts, so it seems only natural that the storyline for theTV series will eventually change as well. The show and books may hit some of the same story outcomes, but the characters and the journey they took to reach these points may be vastly different.

We know Jaime is going to Dorne, the Tysha incident is no longer of any import, Arienne has been cut and so it seems have the Greyjoys and possibly even Young Griff. The producers have shown little interest in faithfully adapting Sansa's storyline and character from S1 onwards, so this really is not unexpected.

Indeed, storyline differences including character development and exploring sexuality in terms of her own desires. Catelyn was very different, too.

Several actors have said that Martin has told them little bits of information about their character that has yet to be revealed in the books, but I don't think he lays out EVERYTHING that happens to them.

They hear this sort of thing from the showrunners (directly or indirectly), whether they let on about it or not.

(Put all the articles together on the next page...)

Indeed, storyline differences including character development and exploring sexuality in terms of her own desires. Catelyn was very different, too.

They hear this sort of thing from the showrunners (directly or indirectly), whether they let on about it or not:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/game-of-thrones-director-alex-graves-on-filming-joffreys-wedding

http://www.hitfix.com/news/x-men-star-peter-dinklage-knows-the-ending-to-game-of-thrones

To Game of Thrones, not to A Song of Ice and Fire. They certainly are not telling the actors "Look, this is what happens to your character in the books, George has told us; we are telling you just because, but now we want you to forget all about it because we're going to do something completely different". I don't think that they are going to diverge from the overall story, but if they did, the actors wouldn't know about it.

Therefore, as I have already pointed out, the premise of this thread is a conclusion that makes no sense. Sophie clearly meant that the show has gone off AFFC, which we already knew since it happened in season 4. She couldn't have meant that season 5 is going off TWOW since she wouldn't know if it did, any more than we would.

I meant to answer you, too. It's a valid concern, I don't find it encouraging, we are all just guessing, but my guess is they told her they are writing something different for her this season.

Why would they do that?

Is there any reason in the world why they would say: "Oh, we know what happens to Sansa in the future books... George has told us... but never mind, we're going to be doing something completely different!"

How about the much more likely conclusion that Sophie was referring to the changes that have already happened in season 4 (Sansa revealing herself to the Lords, Sansa having more power in her relationship with LF, the Lords being on good terms with LF after the trial) which means that the show has gone off AFFC... rather than that she was saying that season 5 is going off The Winds of Winter, which nobody has read yet and she has no idea what happens in TWOW?

Neither of those things seems at all likely based on what we know.

I think Cersei could send Loras and the Tyrell army to besiege the Vale (rather than against Dragonstone and the Ironborn invasion of the Reach). Maybe Cersei learns that Sansa is in the Vale or maybe Cersei realizes that Littlefinger is no longer an ally. A siege doesn't have much action, but it puts Sansa in a little danger, gives Littlefinger an excuse to muster an army, gets the Tyrell army and Loras out of Kings Landing, puts Loras in a situation where he could get hurt, and gives Jaime a reason to go somewhere besides Kings Landing after leaving Dorne.

I think Cersei could send Loras and the Tyrell army to besiege the Vale (rather than against Dragonstone and the Ironborn invasion of the Reach). Maybe Cersei learns that Sansa is in the Vale or maybe Cersei realizes that Littlefinger is no longer an ally. A siege doesn't have much action, but it puts Sansa in a little danger, gives Littlefinger an excuse to muster an army, gets the Tyrell army and Loras out of Kings Landing, puts Loras in a situation where he could get hurt, and gives Jaime a reason to go somewhere besides Kings Landing after leaving Dorne.

That wouldn't be incredibly OOC for show!Littlefinger who's a moron, but what exactly does Sansa do in that scenario? She's no military genius or warrior woman. What political skills is she going to use while sitting in the Vale which is under attack/siege? Where's the great storyline Sophie Turner is talking about?

Besides, if they were going to be under attack, shouldn't they return to the impregnable Eyrie, instead of touring the much more pregnable Vale? Which we know for sure they aren't doing, since the Eyrie set was dismantled after they had finished the season 4 shooting.

Why would they do that?

Is there any reason in the world why they would say: "Oh, we know what happens to Sansa in the future books... George has told us... but never mind, we're going to be doing something completely different!"

And why couldn't they?

It's not hard for me to imagine telling an actor, look your book character is on xyz track, but we've decided to do abc track because it works better for the visual medium, gives you some meatier material (in their eyes) to play, and we think the viewing audience will like it better than the book track.

I see this scenario as a highly likely conversation. They do know what happens to Sansa in future books. The actor knows that the showrunners have spoken to GRRM about the fate of the characters in detail. The showrunners telling the actor they are going to do something different in S05 is, as I said, highly likely. To me it's a given.

Well...sure, they could do that. But we've seen nothing that indicates they will.

And why couldn't they?

It's not hard for me to imagine telling an actor, look your book character is on xyz track, but we've decided to do abc track because it works better for the visual medium, gives you some meatier material (in their eyes) to play, and we think the viewing audience will like it better than the book track.

I see this scenario as a highly likely conversation. They do know what happens to Sansa in future books. The actor knows that the showrunners have spoken to GRRM about the fate of the characters in detail. The showrunners telling the actor they are going to do something different in S05 is, as I said, highly likely. To me it's a given.

Er, again, they could, but there's no reason to do so, and no indication that they have done so (they don't need to explain things she doesn't know are divergences to her; heck, they don't need to explain things she knows are divergences to her; do you think they sat down and walked her through all the changes the made to Books 1-3 for the first four seasons?). Sophie obviously has not seen any of the unpublished material, and her interviews make it quite clear she hasn't been told anything about what happens (see, most recently, one of her interviews at nymag.com).

And why couldn't they?

I agree with Annara. D&D got that information on a need to know basis, and Sophie only needs to know what's in the script. If they told Sophie about TWoW, she could tell Maisie, her parents, her friends, et al. If this shit gets out--don't kid yourself; it would--it could destroy their relationship with GRRM. They still need him for now. If they divulge his confidential information, authors would think twice before working with them in the future. So no, it's not likely at all. If they told her that they were going off book, then that book is AFfC/ADwD.

"When Vulture asked about Sansa's evil and manipulative nature, Turner said, "Actually, that's the real Sansa, to be honest. That's how I look at her. The Sansa who's been lurking in the shadows. She's like Gollum and Sméagol."

Did Turner just compare the beautiful Sana to the ugly creature Gollum in "Lord of the Rings?" Turner clarified, "The Sansa you saw up until season four... I mean, in season one, that's who she was. But in seasons two, three, and four, she was kind of using the facade of her season one self, to deceive. So I think what we've done, you missed seeing the progression into the dark Sansa, and we're just seeing it suddenly emerge, because she's been deceiving people with this mask. Or at least that's how I see it!"

This evil side of Sansa is something that is rumored to be written as a chapter in George R.R. Martin's book "Winds of Winter." However, the big question is, how evil will Sansa get?

"I would love for her to go on a massive killing spree! But not like with a sword. Poison, or something. Like a huge, huge killing spree. A mass murder. I think that would be kind of fun to play. I think I'm starting to have a dark side as well!" said Turner."

Would really love to see this - Sansa becoming evil.

Well, perhaps I did not say that they way I was thinking it - just that they could say they were diverging, not that they told her what they were diverging from.

But, I shall not split hairs. I personally take everything Sophie Turner says with a gigantic boulder of salt. :)

If Sansa is Smeagol then who is Deagol?

Well, Deagol kept Smeagol from getting something that Smeagol wanted, and so Deagol died for it. That would make Deagol ... Ned?!

Somehow I don't think this analogy is going to get very far. But if the series ends with Sansa falling into a fiery pit and thereby ending the White Walker invasion, I'll take my words back.

"When Vulture asked about Sansa's evil and manipulative nature, Turner said, "Actually, that's the real Sansa, to be honest. That's how I look at her. The Sansa who's been lurking in the shadows. She's like Gollum and Sméagol."

Did Turner just compare the beautiful Sana to the ugly creature Gollum in "Lord of the Rings?" Turner clarified, "The Sansa you saw up until season four... I mean, in season one, that's who she was. But in seasons two, three, and four, she was kind of using the facade of her season one self, to deceive. So I think what we've done, you missed seeing the progression into the dark Sansa, and we're just seeing it suddenly emerge, because she's been deceiving people with this mask. Or at least that's how I see it!"

This evil side of Sansa is something that is rumored to be written as a chapter in George R.R. Martin's book "Winds of Winter." However, the big question is, how evil will Sansa get?

"I would love for her to go on a massive killing spree! But not like with a sword. Poison, or something. Like a huge, huge killing spree. A mass murder. I think that would be kind of fun to play. I think I'm starting to have a dark side as well!" said Turner."

Would really love to see this - Sansa becoming evil.

LOL Plenty of actors who play goodies say they would love to see their characters do bad stuff because it would be fun to play*, but in any case, I have no idea what you think that proves. Not to mention, you know, the fact that she's obviously joking: "I think I'm starting to have a dark side as well". (Not the first nor the last time she'd given tongue and cheek answers but people took it 100% seriously.) And what's the deal with the journalist writing that "This evil side of Sansa is something that is rumored to be written as a chapter in George R.R. Martin's book "Winds of Winter." Another take on the "controversial chapter meme"?

*Isaac Hempstead-Wright in a March 2014 interview:

(ZapZit obviously doesn't know what wights are...)

"I really want to be a villain," Hempstead-Wright admits to Zap2it. "I want to be evil sorcerer king of the White Walker and sort of storm down on Hodor's back with a sword and charging with an army of Whites behind me."

Bran's storyline is leading him north of the Wall as he searches for the truth the Three-Eyed Raven can give him. Hempstead-Wright is intrigued to see the effect those discoveries have on his character.

"There are plenty of past events and previous greenseers and other such mystical figures who are not only a great influence on Bran but are probably also somehow related to him and are key to him understanding what this power could be used for," he says. "I've got no idea what this power is going to be used for or what it can do or whether it will be for good or evil -- and I hope Bran and I get to have some fun with it."

As if it couldn't be guessed..... Perhaps this development of Sansa's story is more about keeping things going with characters we've all seen growing up through the series. If that's so, could there be a move to bring more Rickon & Osha into s05?

There is something else I've been wondering. Could be this hints at it. Are D&D co-writing the final books with George? Is it possible they have taken a few characters' plots? I can see some sense in this taking place, considering all the ballyhoo with the next books release dates.

On the other hand, George has mentioned, especially in more recent interviews & Q&A, that he has information regarding each character. Obviously, he can talk with each actor/actress to discuss aspects of their character. So, it could even be a bit of both that's happening.

I'm puzzling over another issue. Has George developed a case of writer's block? It happens to the best of people and at the most embarrassing moments too. We've heard how he's given D&D the rough guideline story through the books. I wonder if he's had to go back and pick his own pieces up, because of it, which could explain a few things.

Ah, well... I guess we've just got to wait and see.

LOL Plenty of actors who play goodies say they would love to see their characters do bad stuff because it would be fun to play*, but in any case, I have no idea what you think that proves. Not to mention, you know, the fact that she's obviously joking: "I think I'm starting to have a dark side as well". (Not the first nor the last time she'd given tongue and cheek answers but people took it 100% seriously.) And what's the deal with the journalist writing that "This evil side of Sansa is something that is rumored to be written as a chapter in George R.R. Martin's book "Winds of Winter." Another take on the "controversial chapter meme"?

*Isaac Hempstead-Wright in a March 2014 interview:

(ZapZit obviously doesn't know what wights are...)

LOL Lighten up!

I didn't think it proved anything! Had just been reading it earlier in the day and thought it was apt to include it in this thread.

And of course she's joking.

Would still enjoy seeing her become evil. Oh? Is that bad of me to say that? Sorry!

I'm not sure I understand how it's a given that the words from Sophie support that the showrunners are going to do something different from the future books. It really appears to be similar to the reports that Arya is about to film the Mercy scene in the next few days/weeks. Had we not been given that chapter from Martin, we would not have ANY IDEA if the show was filming material they created on their own or from TWoW. With no new chapters from Sansa, all Sophie can say is that it will be different from the characterization shown so far, which we can clearly see, and supports the teaser we learned earlier in the year that there will be a chapter that some will most likely consider controversial for Sansa.

"The Sansa you saw up until season four... I mean, in season one, that's who she was. But in seasons two, three, and four, she was kind of using the facade of her season one self, to deceive. So I think what we've done, you missed seeing the progression into the dark Sansa, and we're just seeing it suddenly emerge, because she's been deceiving people with this mask. Or at least that's how I see it!"

Exactly. Fault the showrunners for being extremely abrupt and heavy handed in their progression of Sansa's character but saying they're making things up is impossible to substantiate at this time.

Archived