Theatre Bizarre - Any ideas?

Tears of Lys

So this is the year I'm finally going to Theatre Bizarre.

If you don't know what this is, here's a link to an old newspaper article about it:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20091101/OPINION03/911010302

and here's the site itself:

http://theatrebizarre.com/

Here's my problem: I have to come up with a costume. It can't be a character - more something along the lines of a sideshow/circus act. Of course, the obvious and easy choices are bearded lady, Illustrated Woman (head to toe fake tattoos) fortune teller with crystal ball (which I could pull off quite well, I might add, being somewhat clairvoyant) or the obligatory trapeze artist.

Oh, Board Hive Mind, what fantasmagorical designs can you come up with for three people - two sisters and a brother-in-law (who's pretty overweight and up for ANYTHING. He once appeared as Baby New Year in a diaper and nothing else for a New Year's Eve party. He's a hoot! But he'd freeze as that here.)

What about me and one other sister (close to me in height) going as conjoined twins? (This is all so politically incorrect, but I'm floundering here.)

If "American Horror Story: Freakshow" were on right now, I'm sure there'd be lots of ideas!

ETA: So far, I'm leaning toward this look ---> http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/0b/bd/af/0bbdaf0a5423e1f274df720287bd76ed.jpg

Bizarre enough?

I like your planned look - naturally you'll be super hot no matter what you choose though. :leer:

I kinda like the fortune teller idea. If you want to get macabre, you and your sis could be sibling trapeze artists who fell to their deaths but now live on as undead. That might be less unwieldy than conjoined twins?

Why not an old-timey muscley-man/woman costumes - those leotard thing with stripes and what not, but made up as if starving with make up with sunken cheeks and protruding ribs and what not?

Or like one of them wild-west shows, dress like Annie Oakley but a zombie or something, dunno. The brother-in-law could be the dude who performs with her. One of the acts was to shoot a playing card in some fancy manner, right? I don't recall exactly, but you could tape the playing card over the heart, put a puncture in it, and add some fake blood. That'd be pretty sweet.

OMG. I have never heard of this before!!! WOW!!! This looks like SO MUCH FUN and completely my cup of tea :o

Damn it - I'll probably never be in detroit but this looks spectacular - have fun!

You could check out the website Human Marvels (can't hyperlink as am on phone)

http://www.thehumanmarvels.com/

It's a biographical site for all the old and famous sideshow members, it's really interesting and respectful of each person which can be seen in the title of the website "human *marvels*"

thought this site might give you ideas and even if it doesn't it's really great reading and very interesting.

Whatever the costume, make sure it has sparkles. Everything should sparkle.

Oh, of course! I'll have to wear sparkly underwear. :P

Why not an old-timey muscley-man/woman costumes - those leotard thing with stripes and what not, but made up as if starving with make up with sunken cheeks and protruding ribs and what not?

Or like one of them wild-west shows, dress like Annie Oakley but a zombie or something, dunno. The brother-in-law could be the dude who performs with her. One of the acts was to shoot a playing card in some fancy manner, right? I don't recall exactly, but you could tape the playing card over the heart, put a puncture in it, and add some fake blood. That'd be pretty sweet.

Magician's assistant with a (cardboard) saw stuck halfway though the torso?

While these ideas are awesome, they don't quite hit the right note with regard to macabre.

If I could somehow swing it, I'd love to go as a "thing" in a bottle of liquid. That might be taxing my limited fabrication abilities a mite, though.

OMG. I have never heard of this before!!! WOW!!! This looks like SO MUCH FUN and completely my cup of tea :o

Damn it - I'll probably never be in detroit but this looks spectacular - have fun!

You could check out the website Human Marvels (can't hyperlink as am on phone)

http://www.thehumanmarvels.com/

It's a biographical site for all the old and famous sideshow members, it's really interesting and respectful of each person which can be seen in the title of the website "human *marvels*"

thought this site might give you ideas and even if it doesn't it's really great reading and very interesting.

Thanks! I'll examine that sight in detail tonight. I like the "human marvels" term a lot better too!

1. i'm excited for you, although i've never actually been to a Theatre Bizarre show (aside from the one at DIYfest in Ferndale this year)
2. my best friend is dating the guy who lives on the old property down in Detroit and i got a kickass tour of the old grounds and all of the remaining sets and props, it's pretty badass.
3. i concur with previous ideas for your costume. i think anything vaudeville-like should serve well.

eta: a few of my friends are participants in the show as well.

Archived