Family Duty Honor

Poppa Chase

I feel like all the great houses can be labeled in order of which they follow out of these phrases.

Tully. Family then duty then honor. Catelyn was fine with dishonoring her honor and duty for saving her family.

Stark. Honor then duty then family. Ned refused to kill children, at the behest of his duty as the hand and the father of his children. (had it been a different king, he and his family could have payed dearly)

Lannister. Family then honor then duty. Tywin began a war due to his least favorite family member being accused of murder. He forsook his duty as a warden over the honor of his family.

Baratheon. Duty then family then honor. Robert felt a duty to avenge his betrothed. Stannis is the face of duty, the death of honor, but he cares for his daughter. Renly felt that Stannis would be a poor king and it was his duty to save the realm from this war, but he dishonored his brother by jumping him in succession.

Martell. Family then duty then honor. Oberyn used poison to avenge his family, a dishonorable way to fulfill the duty owed to his sister and her children.

Tyrell. Honor then family then duty. A flower must need pretty buds on its exterior, Marg is a beautiful sweet queen. Loras is one of the finest knights in the kingdoms and was so quick to jump at the honorable chance of defending his family home, but that really served no purpose for his duty as KG.

Arryn. Honor then duty then family. Jon refused to kill his wards because they were under his protection and it would dishonor him. He then started a rebellion and afterward performed his duty as hand of the king. All the while having no heirs, until less than a decade before his death.

Greyjoy. Honor then family then duty. They pay the iron price for everything which is a form of honor in its own. Balon refused to start another rebellion because of his son being a hostage. He honorably never started another rebellion during Robert and Ned's reign because he knew when he'd been beat. Victarion is all about honor and respect. He also is loyal to his brothers even though he hates one of them.

Obviously this doesn't work with every single character because people are different. This is just an all around general accounting of the families and their priorities.

Stark. Honor then duty then family. Ned refused to kill children, at the behest of his duty as the hand and the father of his children. (had it been a different king, he and his family could have payed dearly)

Ned also forsakes his honor in order to protect his daughter.

I don't think so. I believe; Family-Honor-Duty.

Tyrell. Honor then family then duty. A flower must need pretty buds on its exterior, Marg is a beautiful sweet queen. Loras is one of the finest knights in the kingdoms and was so quick to jump at the honorable chance of defending his family home, but that really served no purpose for his duty as KG.

I don't think so. I believe; Family-Duty-Honor.

Greyjoy. Honor then family then duty. They pay the iron price for everything which is a form of honor in its own. Balon refused to start another rebellion because of his son being a hostage. He honorably never started another rebellion during Robert and Ned's reign because he knew when he'd been beat. Victarion is all about honor and respect. He also is loyal to his brothers even though he hates one of them.

I don't think so. I believe; Honor-Duty-Family.

Stark: Family then honor then duty. Ned chooses to abandon honour to save Sansa's and (perhaps) Jon's lives. Arya puts the safety of her family or "pack" above everything else, even willing to risk her life multiple times to help them. Jon, while willing to leave Ygritte to save the Wall, which was his duty, was also willing to leave the wall to save "Arya" and Winterfell from Ramsay, choosing family over duty. I'd put honor over duty because with the exception of Ned, Jon and perhaps Bran, none of them are very dutiful.

I think Lannisters have Family> Duty> Honor.

It was Tywin's duty as the Hand to take dishonorable measures and plan red wedding, to bring stability to the realm the way he wanted it. Cersei has no honor, but does act like a dutiful daughter, mother and queen in at least in the first three books.

Jaime chose his duty as a knight than his honor as a KG when he killed Aerys.

Tyrion's most honorable thing was not killing Joffrey when he should have. Not touching Sansa is another, but he married her in the first place, out of duty.

Archived