Ranking the seasons

Dragon in the North

It is so frustrating that Season 4 isn't at the top of the list. It contained so many of my favorite book moments, the vast majority of which they brought to life wonderfully. However the season was plagued by horrible pacing, weird character choices, and stranger plot choices.

This is pretty close to my opinion; I expected it to be my favourite season based upon what was in the book material. And it has its moments - there are a few individual scenes that I have rewatched many times, such as Oberyn's speech to Tyrion where he ultimately declares himself his champion in trial by combat, this bit is awesome - but too much of it I found to be underwhelming, including missing too many great moments from the book, and adding in material not from the book that was inferior (most notably beetles).

1) Season 1- coupled with being the most faithful to the book, everyone seemed fresh and eager to prove themselves and go that extra mile.

2) Season 4- While some questionable plot choices were added, they captured some other moments from the book beautifully. I never thought they could do justice to the Red Viper/Mountain fight but they did. The battle at the wall was also great and the tension throughout the season was strong.

3) Season 2- For the most part faithful to the book, and the intrigue in King's Landing was great and the climax at the Blackwater was quite fulfilling. Though the rest, especially the Dany/Wall and Renly tangents they just seemed to be phoning in.

4) Season 3- The whole Talia subplot just... ruined so much for me. The Red Wedding was creepily epic though and they captured that mostly well. The Hound and Arya had some great scenes as well, but the rest was just... seemed to be Dany, Stannis and the rest treading water.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Season 1- coupled with being the most faithful to the book, everyone seemed fresh and eager to prove themselves and go that extra mile.

2) Season 4- While some questionable plot choices were added, they captured some other moments from the book beautifully. I never thought they could do justice to the Red Viper/Mountain fight but they did. The battle at the wall was also great and the tension throughout the season was strong.

3) Season 2- For the most part faithful to the book, and the intrigue in King's Landing was great and the climax at the Blackwater was quite fulfilling. Though the rest, especially the Dany/Wall and Renly tangents they just seemed to be phoning in.

4) Season 3- The whole Talia subplot just... ruined so much for me. The Red Wedding was creepily epic though and they captured that mostly well. The Hound and Arya had some great scenes as well, but the rest was just... seemed to be Dany, Stannis and the rest treading water.

I'd have to agree with the order here though I might bump season 3 up for the red wedding alone. The Schaudenfruede from watching reaction videos of unsullied feeling our pain does a great deal to sweeten 3 for me.

Enjoyed 1 the most, Sean Bean, Starks together and faithful to books

I enjoyed the Brienne Jaimie journey of season 3 and how the actors portrayed that, plus the RW

I don't dislike 2 all that much, liked seeing the Ironborn introduced a bit more and Theons capture of Winterfell. I don't get the hate for season 2, Jagen H'Gar was brilliantly done and the Tywin/Arya interaction was great

Issue with 4 is that they are starting to become a bit disjointed, they are veering from the books then having to kind of force the plotline to be in tune with overall events of the book but it doesen't quite make sense at times and there's some things added like JS and Bran at Crasters which felt out of step although I could see what they were trying to do and why

Oberyn was fantastically done, though they had too much beetle talk and the fight needed to be a bit longer and tactical

Yeah, the Mountain and the Viper goes down as the most disappointing "fight" scene for me in the entire show so far. Just so poorly done as to be laughable.

And Orson Lannister's Beetle smashing.... what the fuck, just, what the fuck?

1) S4. I'm personally shocked a lot of people have problems with this season. Specifically the Orson beetle smashing. I liked that dialogue a lot. *Shrug*
2) S1. It is most well rounded, and I love shows that start off slow and turn into an epic. Plus, Ned/Bobby B is amazing. Especially together.

3) S3. Was dull in some episodes, like Season 2. Not as much, and Red Wedding was awesome of course. However, Robb's storyline leading up to is was painfully boring, and I actually disliked seeing Catelyn near the end there.
4) S2. Wasn't bad, was just boring, long-winded and seemed to be a lot of obnoxious and unnecessary sex scenes. The first time I watched Blackwater, I was stoned. That episode while stoned remains my favorite of the entire series.

So yeah, pretty much everyone elses opinion.

2, 3, and 4 are all about the same in my mind, with 1 being slightly better. Like, the other three were all generally meh but had one or two fantastic episodes. Season 1 set the bar, and I felt like if they'd fixed some key things in S4 (Oberyn/Gregor fight, Brienne/Hound fight, No Stoneheart, Tysha, etc.) it could have been a contender, but ultimately came up short for me, alas.

2, 3, and 4 are all about the same in my mind, with 1 being slightly better. Like, the other three were all generally meh but had one or two fantastic episodes. Season 1 set the bar, and I felt like if they'd fixed some key things in S4 (Oberyn/Gregor fight, Brienne/Hound fight, No Stoneheart, Tysha, etc.) it could have been a contender, but ultimately came up short for me, alas.

I'm still thinking LSH will make an appearance at some point.

:cheers:

1. Season Three - My Favorite Season overall because every single character had a great storyline and The Rains of Castamere was awesome and by far one of the best episodes of the show.

2. Season One - The season most faithful to the books, but also was perfect for setting up the story itself. The second half of Season 1 is bloody good.

3. Season Four - While Season 4 had a lot of great moments, there was also a ton of filler and I think it's because 2/3 of ASOS was already covered in Season Three. So D&D for some reason decided to extend everything out and add scenes in order to have the shock value and major deaths in last few episodes instead of moving into AFFS and ADWD for Kings Landing and The Wall. Although they did move into AFFC and ADWD with Daenerys, Sansa, Bran, Brienne, and Theon, so I'm not really complaining. And yet Jon's character still has some material left from ASOS for Season Five, so I wonder how that will go.

4. Season Two - Besides Blackwater and the Finale, Season 2 wasn't all that exciting, but it wasn't horrible either.

Archived