Ranking the seasons

Dragon in the North

I know but in the show Roose SENT him there, if Ramsay burns down Winterfell that implicates Roose on the show as well, whereas in the books Ramsay is sort of seen at that time as someone acting of his own accord independently and hence in the books Roose could always claim that he cannot control Ramsay or that he can't catch him without killing him, which goes against kinslaying. In the show he sends Ramsay to Winterfell to capture the castle and so if the castle has been burned down every viewer would be suspicious of Roose immediately and that's not something you want them to think going into season 3.

And in the show they couldn't make it appear that he acted on his own accord?

Given that the Boltons weren't the focus with no other POV character with Ramsay on the show that would have been really strange because the context would have been absent because we'd have been dropped into his camp without any reason and it at least kept people guessing what happened at Winterfell for a season. Otherwise it would have slowed down other things in season 2 and it would have added just another character 'arc' that non-readers would have had to catch up with. You'd have to get into the whole Reek switcheroo thing, which is unnecessarily complex and weird. I liked that the focus in season 2 was only on Theon because he's the POV character.

With only 10 episodes a season there really wasn't time to introduce Ramsay and do the whole Reek switch-a-roo and building Ramsay up off screen prior to that. Theon would not have been given enough time on screen and this was the Theon/Bran plot line. The hints were all there in the finale who did it. The Ironborn said let's go home after knocking Theon out. We know that Robb planned to let them go if they gave over Theon. The Ironborn would not have likely burned down Winterfell and gotten away from the Northern army outside the walls. Luwin said they might come back. Seems rather strange that the Ironborn would come back if they are trying to leave. I guess you could think that he means come back with a larger army, but we know Yara chastised Theon for attacking a place so far from the sea. Building up Ramsay would have also built up Roose and brought too much attention to him. If Ramsay's betrayal was known, then when Roose let Jaime go it would be obvious that he is not just playing both sides but has switched sides.

This is a great compilation of the hints as to who was behind the burning of Winterfell (and the Red Wedding).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Ibnoj5bAA

Sure, what happened wasn't explicitly spelled-out by the end of the season, but a lot of info was provided and the inference pretty clear. You'd have to be paying pretty close attention especially as a non-reader, but it is explained.

Jaime and Tyrion sure are. Even Tywin gets some love. I'm not sure about Cercei, though.

Of course you got Tyrion (one of the most popular characters on the show) in there.

I didn't start liking Jaime until around Season 3

Yeah I strangely loved Tywin. Charles Dance is an amazing actor.

but if someone tells me they like Cersei or Joffrey they worry me greatly.....

4,1,3,2. All solid seasons but the qarth and some of the Wall parts Dif not do it for me. Season 4 was both dramatic and fun. I got chills from the start when tywin melts down ice and throw a wolfpelt over it. And good onliners that makes u smile, u need that when there is so mutch death to deal with.

For me it is:

1. Season 3

2. Season 1

3. Season 4

4. Season 2

It's really hard to rank season 1 though, because in terms of storytelling and general flow it's the best one (due to the limited amount of storylines and its more or less linear plot), but it was also the worst in terms of technology, cinematography and such. It felt the most real and "dirty" one though (which is good).

Season 4 on the other hand felt extremely clean and polished to me (wihich is... not so good). It actually had the potential to be the best season, but almost every episode had some moment that didn't really work for me. Like 80-90% of each episode were great, but the rest often felt a bit sloppy and sometimes not really thought through.

Season 4: Overall, this season was the most entertaining to watch, in my opinion. Episode 9 was incredible. Probably my favorite episode of the entire series, so far.

Season 3: Really liked Dany's arc this season. Dracarys, motherfuckers. :D

Season 1: I didn't start reading the books until I'd watched Season 1. If the show didn't hook me in Season 1, I probably never would have picked up the books. I think this season did a great job of introducing all the characters to the audience and, as others have mentioned, faithfully adapting the book material.

Season 2: Blackwater was awesome and I also loved the Tywin/Arya scenes at Harrenhal. Other than that, this season felt a bit dull to me.

Archived