Video Game Culture 8: everyone is a winnar

Kalbear

Well, what I wrote is that they needed the swimsuit at least. Or they needed to otherwise really show off her breasts, which would also incense feminists, because of the limitations of the media.

As for "leaving the unambiguous ending for only a small slice of the population", human beings do talk with each other.

Sure, but you leave the reveal for only a small slice of the population, it loses impact when you have to hear about it second hand. I don't think content creators think that way for their big reveal.

And to trot out your line, remember this was the 80s, information didn't get around anywhere as easily as it does now. Do you think the creators wanted the fact that Samus was a woman to be spread by word of mouth?

Funny thing about Samus, it only got worse with time, culminating in the metroid: other m 'form fitting armor & daddy issues' Samus. Nintendo, transcending the technical limitations of the 90s to tell the story they really want to tell, with the feelings they really want to show.

I'm reminded of another female character assassination and backstabbing, Parasite Eve. Eh, japan.

'what's a paladin'

So I was looking through some interviews about Blizzard's new game Overwatch. And in an interview Chris Metzen (lead creative designer) is talking about diversity in the new title. And he's talking about women and ethnic minorities, which we already know will be represented in game. And then bam! he mentions gay players wanting to feel represented. No confirmation of gay characters but could it be? Why would he mention it if it weren't the case? This one line has gotten me so excited and I figured that it was more appropriate to gush here then in the general video game thread. This would be huge. Interview here, 31:50 ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKyPX_wni3E&feature=youtu.be&t=28m9s

So I was looking through some interviews about Blizzard's new game Overwatch. And in an interview Chris Metzen (lead creative designer) is talking about diversity in the new title. And he's talking about women and ethnic minorities, which we already know will be represented in game. And then bam! he mentions gay players wanting to feel represented. No confirmation of gay characters but could it be? Why would he mention it if it weren't the case? This one line has gotten me so excited and I figured that it was more appropriate to gush here then in the general video game thread. This would be huge. Interview here, 31:50 ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKyPX_wni3E&feature=youtu.be&t=28m9s

This would be a really big step for Blizzard, if it is in fact true. And of course, it's like you say; why bring it up otherwise? It's nice to see some progress, at least, especially given the subject of discourse from the previous 7 iterations of this thread.

Ahaha. @freebsdgirl made a Perl script a while ago to automatically block Gamergaters algorithmically. Some of GG's dumber members have been crying about it, apparently believing that people being harassed have an obligation to listen to their harassers, but that's neither here nor there. I mention it because I saw a snippet of her code today:

# first, get a list of the IDs of all the problem children.foreach my $idiot ( @idiots ) {
:lol:

Ahaha. @freebsdgirl made a Perl script a while ago to automatically block Gamergaters algorithmically. Some of GG's dumber members have been crying about it, apparently believing that people being harassed have an obligation to listen to their harassers, but that's neither here nor there. I mention it because I saw a snippet of her code today:

# first, get a list of the IDs of all the problem children.foreach my $idiot ( @idiots ) {
:lol:

:bowdown:

I wonder what the rest of the code looks like. :rofl:

https://github.com/freebsdgirl/ggautoblocker Enjoy!

@sheeple_ids = keys %problem;print "> $#follower_ids users following idiots.\n";print "> $#sheeple_ids users following multiple accounts.\n";

Haha, awesome.

# get a list of idiots open B, '<', $sourcelist_file or die "Can't open $sourcelist_file: $!\n"; foreach ( <B> ) { chomp; push @idiots, $_;

Pretty interesting argument on how #Arglebargle arose from a fundamental clash of cultures between "channers" and, well, the rest of the world:

https://storify.com/a_man_in_black/how-chan-style-anonymous-culture-shapes-gamergate

Also contains a lot of supplementary links to other writing on related topics. A lot to think about and digest, but it sure as shit explains a lot about the behavior of #Arglebarglers, some of the incomprehensibility of the posters who support the movement, and the particularly perplexing "professional victim" accusations and other weird characterizations of Sarkeesian, Wu, Quinn, et al.

Pretty interesting argument on how #Arglebargle arose from a fundamental clash of cultures between "channers" and, well, the rest of the world:

https://storify.com/a_man_in_black/how-chan-style-anonymous-culture-shapes-gamergate

Also contains a lot of supplementary links to other writing on related topics. A lot to think about and digest, but it sure as shit explains a lot about the behavior of #Arglebarglers, some of the incomprehensibility of the posters who support the movement, and the particularly perplexing "professional victim" accusations and other weird characterizations of Sarkeesian, Wu, Quinn, et al.

WTF is this horrible website?

Thanks for the link, it was quite helpful. We actually had a rather similar discussion in a graduate seminar of mine earlier this week, wherein we discussed the difficulty of establishing a common-ground on which to debate and deliberate with Gamergaters based on the wildly different frames of reference taken by gamergaters compared to...reasonable people, in general I suppose, but my graduate seminar in particular.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that article really composed of a series of tweets?

It's not an article, storify is a site that compiles a series of tweets into a larger body of text. It can be from the one user or as many as you like. It just grabs all the relevant ones to make for easy linking.

Archived