Dragon Age: Whatever we were before, we are now... The Inquisition!

Jace, Extat

Also, anyone else at Adamant? SWEET BABY JAYSUS, that level was awesome. Watching my troops march forward underneath the banners, chanting and whatnot. Brings a tear to me eye it does. Makes me want some sort of Dragon Age/Total War mash-up, it does.

Its the most recent main story mission I've done; and, yeah, its hella fun. Both parts, for different reasons. The initial attack was awesome, as you say. It really conveyed a sense that I'm a big fucking deal in this world, and the Inquisition will destroy its enemies. And then, I even got to somewhat experience that in the gameplay, with various NPC Inquisition soldiers running around fighting enemies as well. At one point, thanks to killing a demon very quickly on the battlements, I had something like 10 allies with me (that includes my regular party members), and it felt like I had an actual squad with me. The second part of that mission is obviously very different, but it was also very cool.

Now, some of the companion missions/arcs are also very good, but not so cool. For instance, the long-running Cullen arc is really messing with me; no matter what I tell I him I either feel like a hypocrite or am making him more and more depressed. And whenever I think its over, like when I get a 'Quest Complete' notification, I'll talk to him next time I'm at Skyhold, and, nope, this is still going on.

Now, some of the companion missions/arcs are also very good, but not so cool. For instance, the long-running Cullen arc is really messing with me; no matter what I tell I him I either feel like a hypocrite or am making him more and more depressed. And whenever I think its over, like when I get a 'Quest Complete' notification, I'll talk to him next time I'm at Skyhold, and, nope, this is still going on.

You never stop being an addict. Even if you never touch the stuff again for the rest of your life, it's only because you didn't live long enough.

I feel like this is the first DA (maybe even Bioware one since mass effect 1) game where I actually change up my party a lot cause I want to interact with all the characters. Apart from Sera I can't stand her

Sera has soured on me as well. She needs to grow the fuck up. I accidentally engaged in a cinematic with her and had to listen to her complain about politics because 'none of them care about the little people!' I want to sell her to Tevinter.

So tried to start up Inquisition this morning. Origin says "UPDATE ERROR: you need to download the latest version of Origin from this link."

I do that. It then says "UPDATE ERROR: you need to download the latest version of Origin from this link."

Fuck yourself and die, EA. Why can't I just use something that works to play your games, like Steam.

You never stop being an addict. Even if you never touch the stuff again for the rest of your life, it's only because you didn't live long enough.

Agreed. Thing is though, I'm a warrior and going for the Templar specialization myself. And even though gameplay/story segregation and all that, it still seemed super-hypocritical for me to demand that he keep going through withdrawal. So I told him to start taking Lyrium again, and thought that would be the end of it. But then, next time I come back to Skyhold and talk to him, he says he's feeling better physically but sounds super depressed, and then I get the option to either tell him to keep taking Lyrium, keep taking it for now, or to say that I was wrong before and that he should stop.

I have no idea what to say to that, and I'm glad I had just saved my game because I turned it off after that to think about it. Of course, thanks to Thanksgiving travels I'm not going to get a chance to play again until Sunday, so my last memory of the game for now is that depressing encounter and what I want to say to him. Not that I'm complaining, this is the kind of stuff I want more of in games.

Agreed. Thing is though, I'm a warrior and going for the Templar specialization myself. And even though gameplay/story segregation and all that, it still seemed super-hypocritical for me to demand that he keep going through withdrawal. So I told him to start taking Lyrium again, and thought that would be the end of it. But then, next time I come back to Skyhold and talk to him, he says he's feeling better physically but sounds super depressed, and then I get the option to either tell him to keep taking Lyrium, keep taking it for now, or to say that I was wrong before and that he should stop.

I have no idea what to say to that, and I'm glad I had just saved my game because I turned it off after that to think about it. Of course, thanks to Thanksgiving travels I'm not going to get a chance to play again until Sunday, so my last memory of the game for now is that depressing encounter and what I want to say to him. Not that I'm complaining, this is the kind of stuff I want more of in games.

As a dragon-blood supping Reaver, I suffered no such qualms in encouraging Cullen to not use lyrium. He seems to feel much better afterwards, though I think he nearly dies at one point. I recommend doing that. Also, drink dragon blood. Far better than being a poncy lyrium addict...even though I'm convinced Templar spec is literally the most useful thing in the entire game...

Sera has soured on me as well. She needs to grow the fuck up. I accidentally engaged in a cinematic with her and had to listen to her complain about politics because 'none of them care about the little people!' I want to sell her to Tevinter.

:devil: :devil: Tevinter Imperivm :devil: :devil:

I hope you get the chance.

DA2 let you do it. I will hold out hope for DA:I. This series certainly hasn't shied away from letting you take the Extreme Dickhead path.

I'm heavily leaning towards getting this game the more I hear about it, I'm just not sure when.

Is anyone else really unimpressed by the Necromancer skill tree? Most of it just seems lackluster and the focus ability just doesn't seem to fit at all. Maybe it's better in practice (I assume all the CC is great for insanity playthroughs) than it sounds on paper but I dunno.

Shame. I wanted to be a Necromancer mage on my second playthrough, now I'm thinking Rift Mage instead.

Necromancer is awesome so far. Try out Dorian, since he is a the necro you get in game. I've found Horror is one of the most helpful abilities for CC purposes, and the ability that raises a dead enemy as a spirit can help you in many-a-clutch moment. Knight Enchanter seems the most helpful Mage spec, to be honest, due to its tankiness, its damage (spirit blade 4eva) and RESURGENCE. Seriously, Resurgence.

:devil: :devil: Tevinter Imperivm :devil: :devil:

I hope you get the chance.

DA2 let you do it. I will hold out hope for DA:I. This series certainly hasn't shied away from letting you take the Extreme Dickhead path.

I'm heavily leaning towards getting this game the more I hear about it, I'm just not sure when.

Even as an Elf, I'm very fond of the Imperium. A culture where being a mage gives you power, being cloistered in a Circle, or the Qun? Gee, such a tough decision.

Is anyone else really unimpressed by the Necromancer skill tree? Most of it just seems lackluster and the focus ability just doesn't seem to fit at all. Maybe it's better in practice (I assume all the CC is great for insanity playthroughs) than it sounds on paper but I dunno.

Shame. I wanted to be a Necromancer mage on my second playthrough, now I'm thinking Rift Mage instead.

I deeply regret that I'm locked in to Necromancy, and I actually reset my points so I'm not even using it anymore. What a waste.

Yeah I really wish you could change specs. Make it expensive or difficult but not impossible.

In other news, Tempest is completely broken. There's currently a bug that makes Thousand Cuts consume no focus if you use it while you have Flask of Fire active. Found that out by accident and Reddit confirms that it is a known glitch. As if 11,400% weapon damage wasn't enough I can now use it every 32 seconds. I won't though, no fun in that.

Seriously though, Haste for a Necromancer as the ultimate ability? Why?

RESURGENCE. Seriously, Resurgence.

Resurgence is awesome, as is the whole KE tree. Luckily I love Vivi so she's always in my party.

Yeah I really wish you could change specs. Make it expensive or difficult but not impossible.

You can - go to you blacksmith and interact with a flagpole looking thingy there's 2 amulets in there. one costs gold and lets you respec once the other is 300ish and lets you do it a bunch

See, I hate Vivienne and she hates me, so she stays home mostly. Dorian and Solas are my friends though. Rift Mage seems kind of boring though. Seems like very class has one naff spec, and two awesome ones: Tempest and Assassin kick ass, Artificer is boring and lame; Reaver and Templar kick ultimate ass; Guardian is boring and lame (I stand still really well is the lamest of all things to design a spec around); Knight Enchanter and Necromancer rock, Rift Mage is...I throw rocks?

EDIT: Tally, once you specialize your character through a quest, you cannot change that specialization. Makes sense from a story perspective, and I chose a good spec, but it does screw people over a bit.

I think Warrior has the best selection of specs. All three are cool to me. Rift Mage and KE are the cool mage specs to me with Necro sounding boring, different strokes though :) I agree completely on Artificer being pants.

Bummed me out that Varric was the Artificier. Shouldn't be saddled with that, he's got enough bad shit happening to him.

:lol:

Varric was the first person I replaced in my party anyway, since I'm a ranged rogue myself.

Can someone tell me what the deal with Cole is? I get that he's a spirit, and feels people's emotions. I also think he was in a Dragon Age book or something (obviously haven't read it), but I find him to be some sort of insufferable tweaker. Spouting random gibberish and the constant "Yay! We did a good thing." is driving me up the wall, so I rarely use him. Am I missing out on much of anything besides more "Yay! We're good people"?

Also, he reminds me of this guy a whole bunch.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/101621

Can someone tell me what the deal with Cole is? I get that he's a spirit, and feels people's emotions. I also think he was in a Dragon Age book or something (obviously haven't read it), but I find him to be some sort of insufferable tweaker. Spouting random gibberish and the constant "Yay! We did a good thing." is driving me up the wall, so I rarely use him. Am I missing out on much of anything besides more "Yay! We're good people"?

Also, he reminds me of this guy a whole bunch.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/101621

Supposedly his banter with Iron Bull is pretty amusing but I've never used him in my party either. His silly hat never fails to make me laugh though.

I told him to stop leaving peeled fruit on the windowsill and I think he's cross with me.

Archived