Poll Results - Ranking the Books of ASOIAF

Bustard

Original Thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/120058-ranking-the-books-of-asoiaf-poll/

The voting plateaued so I decided to cut it off at 77 instead of 100. The results are summarized below.

~ Format: total points (average rank out of 5) / first place votes / last place votes ~

1. Storm of Swords - 336.5 (1.63) / 45 / 0
  2. Game of Thrones - 247.5 (2.89) / 12 / 6.5
  3. Clash of Kings - 212 (3.25) / 7 / 14
  4. Dance with Dragons - 199 (3.42) / 6 / 18
  5. Feast for Crows - 161 (3.91) / 7 / 38.5

Can I posthumously rank them all as tied for last? A 0 for SoS is silly.

How is it silly that nobody thinks ASOS is the weakest book in the series?

If there were someone who thought ASOS was the weakest book, now that would be silly. (Though apparently there's one person on this forum who thinks so: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/58024-a-storm-of-swords-weakest-book-in-the-series/ And the reasoning is... it's slow and not a lot happens? :blink: :lol:)

Makes me sad that so many people don't realise how great AFFC is. My favourite by far.

I actually think it's some of the best writing of the series. It's personally my least favorite only because some of my favorite characters don't have chapters (Dany, Tyrion, Jon).

The results are not unexpected. Dance and Feast belong at the bottom because these two are undoubtedly the weakest books in the series thus far. Feast was bloated, Dance even more so. Both books have significant issues with the way they are structured.

Completely disagree. I think Clash is worse than both of those. And for rereads, I much prefer Feast and Dance to the first three books - so much more reading between the lines to be done.

I love all the books, and they're all pretty close, except for Storm, which is far ahead of the others. I think that Feast and Dance have a lot of the best writing in the series, though I put Feast lower just because of the relative lack of climactic events and the fact that I'm not a big fan of the Ironborn nuncles.

I always found Clash to be better than Game, though, and I put it as second after Storm. So, in the end, I had to pick Game as my least favorite. I did love it, but I didn't find that many new and interesting things on re-read, which I enjoyed less than my re-read of Clash and Storm (which I'm re-reading now). Don't get me wrong, Game does everything well that it sets out to do, and it's a great novel, but compared to the others, it's too simple, a lot of it is introduction to the story, and many of the characters still feel close to stereotypes, which the story has just started to subvert. When I first read the series, I loved Game, of course (or else why would I continue reading), and I still do, but with Clash I though "OMG, this is even better than the first book, much stronger" with the character development and the harrowing portrayal of the effects on war on the smallfolk in the Riverlands (Storm and Feast do that as well, but with Clash it was all new).

Archived