If you could legitimize one bastard in the series, which would you pick?

TimJames

In the series, some noblemen knock up women they aren't married to. The end result is usually bastards.

Bastards, unlike true born children, can't inherit after their father dies. Not unless they have been legitimized.

If you could legitimize one bastard in the series, which would you pick? Also, why?

I want Jon Snow to be legitimized of course but how that plays out will all depend on R+L=J. I know if he's already legitimate it won't be necessary, whatever happens with his true parentage, I hope he finds out Robb legitimized him and named him as his KitN heir. Jon needs to know that Robb saw him as a true Stark and brother. If Jon would have known he had Robb's blessing, he would've probably accepted Stannis. I hated that Jon felt even wanting to become a Stark and be Lord of Winterfell was a betrayal to his siblings.

I would also want to legitimize Gendry. With Shireen's greyscale, Stannis needs a Baratheon heir to inherit Storm's End, and while Edric Storm is probably more eqipped to be a lord, I think Gendry has potential to play an important role in the coming war. Since only a king/queen can legitimize him and since it is very likely the winner of the coming War for the Dawn will be king/queen in the end, Gendry could cross paths with the future ruler during the war and play such an important role in the fighting/victory that he is legitimized as reward. Although for that to work someone would need to tell him he's Roberts since he doesn't know yet. Whatever happens, I would rather one of Robert's bastards be legitimized than have the Baratheons die out. They're one of my favorite houses.

Edric Storm. He's the obvious choice as a "back-up" Baratheon: He has the features (silly, but it matters), the education (which is not something easily remedied if absent), he's acknowledged so his parentage is not the slightest in doubt, and his mother is noble, too, which is yet another advantage.

Also, he seems to be a good kid, all things considered.

I would also want to legitimize Gendry. With Shireen's greyscale, Stannis needs a Baratheon heir to inherit Storm's End, and while Edric Storm is probably more eqipped to be a lord, I think Gendry has potential to play an important role in the coming war. Since only a king/queen can legitimize him and since it is very likely the winner of the coming War for the Dawn will be king/queen in the end, Gendry could cross paths with the future ruler during the war and play such an important role in the fighting/victory that he is legitimized as reward. Although for that to work someone would need to tell him he's Roberts since he doesn't know yet. Whatever happens, I would rather one of Robert's bastards be legitimized than have the Baratheons die out. They're one of my favorite houses.

Yeah, the main problem there is that Gendry doesn't know himself, nor is there afaik anyone that can prove whose son he is (except for the dead). Well, apart from Stannis, but much as I like the guy, his odds of sitting the throne in the end, or even making it to the end, are not that good.

Gendry, Storm King. Brienne of Tarth on his Kingsguard. His wife Arya, the commander of it. You know it has to be!

I want Stannis to just pull a total Aegon the Unworthy. Upon his death ravens are sent legitimising ALL Robert's bastard children. He could name a lot of them with his investigations with Jon Arryn. There was a reason Stannis is there to see them in the story. Let the Barastards cause some mischief!

Mya Stone, so she could marry her sweetheart.

Mychel married the Royce girl. More fool him.

Edric Storm. Since he couldn't hold the crown and Storms End he could then legitimize Gendry, and BOOM there you go Robert's two sons holding the Baratheon seats. Or he could just give SE to Stannis, since Edric would instantly be the legitimate heir not Stannis.

Archived