Who inherits the IT after Dany?

Kelsey094

I was just wondering, let's just say that Daenerys reclaims the IT. She believes she will never have children and that she is the last Targ. The Targ dynasty will die with her as far as she knows.

If this happens, what would happen when she dies? Who would inherit the IT?

It seems rather pointless to claim the right on Westeros if you already know your family can never hold it because you cannot produce an heir.

I don't believe Dany is infertile myself, but she does. I remember her thinking about how her family dynasty will die with her, but she didn't really seem to care what would happen after her death.
I guess rightfully Stannis would inherit the IT after Dany, like The Onion Sleight says, he is her second-cousin. I think it would end in another war just like the war of the five kings.

I believe the current legitimate line of succession (from Dany's perspective, and assuming Aegon is not a legitimate Targ) would have Stannis and Shireen as the primary pretenders, considering Stannis's relative closeness to the main Targ branch through both his paternal grandmother and the Baratheon line itself.

Depends on who is still alive. I'm also completely disregarding the political aspect of the inheritance. Too much grey area on the usurpers and what not.

If Dany is queen, then Targaryens are obviously going to preference on the inheritance.

In that case, either fAegon or Jon are options, assuming they are accepted and recognized. They will likely be dead though in this case.

Past that we get to living close relatives. The closest is Stannis, followed by Shireen and Edric (if legitimized). The other Baratheon bastards are likely irrelevant since they were never recognized.

Further past that, you're getting into Martells, Plumms, and Penroses. All those claims are at least 100 years old. At that point, the IT either ceases to exist or it is seized by whomever can hold it.

Danny would no doubt name an heir knowing she could not produce, i have to think it would be someone from House Velaryon depending on what happens with her and Aegon. She hates the Baratheon's can't see her naming one of them heir at all i am inclined to think she would choose a bastard and legitimize him a Targaryen maybe Aurane Waters if he decided to help her or a child of Rennifer Longwaters if he has any.

If Dany gets the IT the least she would want is for it to to back to the Baratheons, the House of the usurper she so much say to hate blindly. If she can't have children, the most common thing would be for Aegon to be the next in line, and with him, the Targaryen blood will continue.

ADWD

"Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before,

and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank,

the more she shat,"

I think the real question is would anyone still want the chair after she is done with it? Maybe just throw it away and get a new one. But if they do keep the Iron Throne, I will be happy if either Jon or Stannis is sitting on it. (Which probably means it will end up being Aegon.) :lol:

I don't think Dany can't bear children because it seems she was pregnant at the end of ADWD. It's also very likely that with the Others invasion etc the political landscape will be completely different by the time she has staked her claim on the IT, so it could easily be someone who was her chief supporter/ally in the war (Jon? The fact he is a secret Targ is a good bonus there), or she could adopt a child of her husband or something. But I can see her appointing Shireen as her heir if there are no better alternatives because she would recognise that Shireen had nothing to do with the rebellion and seems nice and capable. I can't see Dany hating her because of the actions of her uncle/father.

First, I don't think there will be an IT by the end of the series. Second, I don't think Dany is infertile and can have children if she wants to.

But in a hypothetical situation in which Dany survives and there is an IT at the end, I think she'll name someone before she dies, probably someone who supported her through the war or perhaps his/her child. I doubt that she'll ever name Shireen. She hates the Baratheons and if Shireen's still alive after Dany takes the throne, I think it's more likely that she's either killed or married to one of Dany's staunchest supporters so that she doesn't become a threat to Dany because of her claim.

Stannis if he's still alive but I can't imagine Daenerys going for that choice.

There must be some other descendents of the Targaryens through the female line amongst the nobility, perhaps she'd pick one of them and come up with an excuse for passing over the Baratheons.

Could lead to another civil war though.

I think Dany WILL sit the throne for a while--she will unseat fAegon, but I don't think she will stay on it until her death necessarily. I think it will go to Jon whose claim supercedes hers (maybe they will marry).

But how is this for a rogue prediction--the iron throne is destroyed and Westeros goes back to 7 separate kingdoms...

Archived