Popular Romantic fan pairings that you just can't take seriously.

Crow's eye in the sky

If you read this thread, http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/122307-romantic-fan-pairings-that-you-just-cant-take-seriously/, it kind of went off the rails, (which is partly my fault.)

Consider this thread the sequel, except that the subject is popular romantic pairings (let's not get started on Stanerys or Thramsay people).

By popular, it must...

A. Have a popular following

B. There must be a serious argument to counter your disbelief of it happening

Bring your thoughts and be ready to argue.

As usual, I'll start off with my own input ( my best threads start usually with a personal example).

For me, the one that stands out is Arya and Gendry.

Maybe its because I never truly saw them as more than an ironic reversal of the Robert and Ned dynamic, maybe its because Arya doesn't even think of Gendry anymore, or maybe it has a little to do with their ages.

I do believe that GRRM may have considered it at a point, but after the midpoint of aSoS, the chances of it actually happening are diminishing with every Arya POV.

Many GendArya supporters have referenced this quote as foreshadowing of the impending romance, in which Arya will finally want to marry.

“Is that why you killed all the Starks?”

“Not all,” said Jaime. “Lord Eddard’s daughters live. One has just been wed. The other …” Brienne, where are you? Have you found her? “… if the gods are good, she’ll forget she was a Stark. She’ll wed some burly blacksmith or fat-faced innkeep , fill his house with children, and never need to fear that some knight might come along to smash their heads against a wall.”

Some of you may consider me a heretic, but looking back on this passage after reading Arya's progressively distant and darker storyline, it's hard for me look at this passage as anything but an instance of GRRM trolling part of the fandom by suggesting that their fuzzy fan-fiction dream actually happened, when the reader knows that it didn't (and is a longshot at best from happening in the furure).

Ah, But what can I say, hope is stronger than likely truth.

Jon Snow and Ygritte. I would cringe when they were together. I know lots of people had no problem with it, but it was weird for me. :dunno:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118312-was-jon-snow-raped-by-ygritte/?hl=ygritte

Here you go buddy :laugh:

Seriously though, you don't take my meaning, this isn't a which ships creep you out the most thread (although admittedly there is some pretty disturbing shit out there that many call romantic.) It is about which romantic fan pairings are utter bullshit. Obviously I can't deny Jon/Ygritte because of overwhelming evidence that it happened.

On the other hand, I could deny Rhaegar/Lyanna as romantic because despite being past tense, much information is not known and thus open to interpretation. Was Lyanna kidnapped, was Rhaegar a rapist, did Lyanna even love Rhaegar? One could argue that it was a true love story , but it can also be argued that Rhaegar abandoned his family and had his way with a girl eight years his junior.

Jon Snow and Ygritte. I would cringe when they were together. I know lots of people had no problem with it, but it was weird for me. :dunno:

I think you missed this part:

B. There must be a serious argument to counter your disbelief of it happening

Unless you think GRRM was lying or really writing something else , Jon and Ygritte happened. For a short while she was his and he was hers (I think that might be a show-only vow thing).

Jon/Dany has a pretty decent following, and it is utterly absurd when you look at their respective tastes in romantic partners.

Dany falls for men who hunger for battle, men whose position is dictated by how many people they are willing to kill. Jon is certainly a capable warrior but he feels way more empathy than either Drogo or Daario do, and while some women may find that to be an attractive quality Dany is not (at present) one of them.

Jon, for what little we've seen of his taste in women, likes self-sufficient and independent souls, particularly those who are capable and willing to confront him. Dany is an active and involved leader, but she is nothing like Ygritte or Val. While I don't think Jon would hate her, she is not going to stir romantic feelings in him.

SanSan is also a bit silly when you consider how incapable Sandor is of any kind of relationship. His emotional damage is too extreme for anything like that to really develop.

Jon/Dany has a pretty decent following, and it is utterly absurd when you look at their respective tastes in romantic partners.

Dany falls for men who hunger for battle, men whose position is dictated by how many people they are willing to kill. Jon is certainly a capable warrior but he feels way more empathy than either Drogo or Daario do, and while some women may find that to be an attractive quality Dany is not (at present) one of them.

Jon, for what little we've seen of his taste in women, likes self-sufficient and independent souls, particularly those who are capable and willing to confront him. Dany is an active and involved leader, but she is nothing like Ygritte or Val. While I don't think Jon would hate her, she is not going to stir romantic feelings in him.

SanSan is also a bit silly when you consider how incapable Sandor is of any kind of relationship. His emotional damage is too extreme for anything like that to really develop.

Pretty much this. Dany likes violent men. Jon is a decent warrior but hes to gentle hearted for Daenerys' tastes.

SanSan makes no sense to me either. As if Sandor will become a romantic? Hes a tortured soul.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118312-was-jon-snow-raped-by-ygritte/?hl=ygritte

Here you go buddy :laugh:

Seriously though, you don't take my meaning, this isn't a which ships creep you out the most thread (although admittedly there is some pretty disturbing shit out there that many call romantic.) It is about which romantic fan pairings are utter bullshit. Obviously I can't deny Jon/Ygritte because of overwhelming evidence that it happened.

On the other hand, I could deny Rhaegar/Lyanna as romantic because despite being past tense, much information is not known and thus open to interpretation. Was Lyanna kidnapped, was Rhaegar a rapist, did Lyanna even love Rhaegar? One could argue that it was a true love story , but it can also be argued that Rhaegar abandoned his family and had his way with a girl eight years his junior.

Lol in that case I think every fan pairing is ridiculous because it's based on "these two actors would totally make the cutest couple ever omgzorz"

Archived