NHL 2015 Playoffs - The Quest Begins...

Jabronius Maximus

Whoah, they traded Despres for Lovejoy. From what I've seen, Despres had a pretty high ceiling. I don't like this deal for Pitt either. Lovejoy has improved quite a bit in Anaheim, but still Despres is a steep price for that.

Edit: and Despres was undergoing concussion tests yesterday. Wonder if this has anything to do with it?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ducksallday/status/572490047322079232

Whoah, they traded Despres for Lovejoy. From what I've seen, Despres had a pretty high ceiling. I don't like this deal for Pitt either. Lovejoy has improved quite a bit in Anaheim, but still Despres is a steep price for that.

Edit: and Despres was undergoing concussion tests yesterday. Wonder if this has anything to do with it?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ducksallday/status/572490047322079232

I wasn't aware of the concussion. That could be a factor since Ehrhoff just got back from the same ordeal.

The Pens are playing the Sharks tonight so it's the first time this season I'm really hearing anything about SJ. Didn't realize they took the C away from Thornton. Ha! Didn't they always play this charade with Marleau?

ETA: Fun fact going into the third period down 1-0: Pens haven't won in San Jose since October of 1997.

Marleau was on the team then... Interesting.

I think the Jets are falling out of the playoff picture, considering how well Los Angeles have been playing lately. Winnipeg, and especially players like Hutchinson, have been playing really well, but will they falter?

Considering how fantastic the Wild have been playing with Dubnyk, I'm sure they'll make the playoffs.

Then we have the Canucks, Flames, Jets and Kings fighting for two playoff spots (with two Pacific Division spots up for grabs). I think the Kings and Canucks will make it, but who will then grab that final wild card spot?

I don't see Calgary lasting much longer, because Giordano's injury was a massive blow which should cost them at some point (plus there's the whole Corsi/Fenwick% statistical argument which shows Calgary is much worse than their record suggests).

So I think the Jets will get that spot and cross over to the pacific, only to get stomped by the Ducks in round 1.

Pred fans,

What's going on over there? Haven't seen much about them, but noticed they've been on a skid lately.

Yea we have been poor of late, basically since the deadline. Cody Franson still hasnt learned to properly use his 6"4 frame, he is so soft. Rinne has been in a semi slump and Seth Jones showing his inexperience with tons of mistakes. We will be fine though I think, better to get a bad run of games in now than in April

Yea we have been poor of late, basically since the deadline. Cody Franson still hasnt learned to properly use his 6"4 frame, he is so soft. Rinne has been in a semi slump and Seth Jones showing his inexperience with tons of mistakes. We will be fine though I think, better to get a bad run of games in now than in April

I agree completely with that. The Penguins, as of late, have been great in the latter part of the season and fall apart during the playoffs so I would gladly welcome the bad streak to begin and end in Feb/March as opposed to April/May.

The Jets are indeed in a slide, and were it not for the aforementioned injury to Giordano, Calgary likely would pass them. But a few things concerning the Jets' fate. One, their possible exit from the race presumes that Minnesota keeps pace above them, which I would be reluctant to count on. They've been playing better of late, and they are a better team than they have shown, but we'll see. Second, the majority of the Jets' remaining games are against teams they are in a tight race with or just simply are some solid opponents. TB, the Habs, NYR and the Caps are each formidable foes, and they will have to step up their games if they have a shot at beating any of those teams. But if history is any indication with this team, the games they really should worry about are those gimme games against supposedly inferior opponents, as they have a history of shitting the bed against teams they should have dominated against. Don't get me wrong, they have a tough road to the playoffs, but I am actually less worried of the many games against worthy opponents as I am with those two against Edmonton and Colorado. Bullshit fluky goal aside, last night had comeback overtime victory written all over it.

If the Jets do make it and are sent to the Pacific division, I actually think the Ducks are ripe for an upset. The Jets are the most penalized team in the league, but most of those it could be argued were just hard hockey plays. In the playoffs when the refs put the whistles away and let the players play, it could mean that the Jets are allowed to play their game, and not always be on the penalty kill. Plus by then we'll have Perrault, Little and Byfuglien back, which alone will help our chances.

It seems reasonable (to me) to assume that the final wild card spot will be between Winnipeg and Calgary. If players like Monahan and Gaudreau keep scoring, the Flames might actually overcome losing Giordano for the season.

I love to see Swedish players succeed in the NHL, so I hope Bäckström, Johansson and Burakowsky will play well in the playoffs. Also, Ovechkin and Holtby are having fantastic seasons.

I love to see Swedish players succeed in the NHL, so I hope Bäckström, Johansson and Burakowsky will play well in the playoffs. Also, Ovechkin and Holtby are having fantastic seasons.

Totally agree. Holtby's been a great backbone for the team he deserves more attention. Burakovsky's been a great addition as well a bit on and off but overall very solid.

Filip Forsberg :wub:

Seriously Ovechkin is my favorite player of all time (only Federov comes close) guy just seems to always be having a blast

Pens are skidding hard.

1 goal in the last 3 games.

Malkin and Hornqvist out for 1-2 weeks.

I bet we don't get past the second round of the playoffs.

It's so frustrating to watch this team play hockey. I think the team needs stronger leadership out of their top players. Looking back I really feel it's something we've been sorely lacking since Guerin and Gonch left. Someone needs to be able to ride Crosby and Malkin when they're in a funk, but no one in that locker room has the authority, or gravitas to challenge those two.

Archived