NHL 2015 Playoffs - The Quest Begins...

Jabronius Maximus

Of all people to score a goal against his former team it's gotta be Robert Bortuzzo? Ugh.

ETA: This just became odd. Marcel Goc just scored the second goal for the Blues. Both Bortuzzo and Goc previously played for the Penguins when we traded them for Ian Cole and Max Lapierre, respectively.

Bortuzzo and Goc don't score goals...

My pre-playoff prediction is that the Pens go out in the first round.

We can't score, the PP is asscheeks, Crosby gets a woody when he sees an opportunity for a cross-ice pass, and we continue reward the good ole vets (Kunitz and Scuderi) ice time for the work they've done in previous seasons.

I don't see us beating the Rangers, Islanders, Canadiens, or Bruins in the playoffs. We could probably beat the Caps, and Lightning, but there's no guarantee like there should be.

Fleury is one of the few players killing it this season, and he's really made some of our losses look more OK than they should be. I can't remember the last time we've scored four goals in a game.

The Islanders have lost 7 straight at home. It'll be an ugly first round, but I think the Pens will win that series. I'm not sure they'll have a shot against NYR in round 2, but hey anything is possible. The way Mtl and the Rags are playing, it appears we'll get a rematch of last year's ECF.

I have no idea about the West though. The Kings have come to life, but the Hawks will be without Kane for the playoffs. The first 2 rounds here should be wild (I seriously hope the Jets make it; that crowd is phenomenal).

I fucking hate (okay love) the central division

It's actually ridiculous, I mean the Blues, Preds and Wild are all fantastic teams, and the Jets have really held their own this year. Even sans Kane, the Hawks are a formidable opponent. Should be a fun playoffs.

Also regarding the Pens, Letang is out indefinitely with a concussion after taking a late hit from Doan yesterday. There will be no supplemental discipline from the league. Man, this injury jinx for the Penguins just doesn't stop...

Well it looks like the Jets' chances of making the playoffs are dwindling by the day. Despite still holding on to the final playoff spot in the West, they aren't finishing games with great enough urgency to make it through. They lost the last two games, tight games against quality opponents which they could have at least gleaned a point from, had they not let in an unfortunate goal in the final moments of the third period. They need to get their shit together, perhaps put Hutchinson back in, and possibly get some outside help, if they have any chance of making it through at this point. But as the Oilers are the Kings' next opponents and the Jets need to stay ahead of them, I'm not pinning my hopes on that one.

Well, it took longer than expected, but the Isles are finally getting exposed for the below average team they are. I knew not to buy into being top team in the league. Even when we win, it always an ugly win or a win in OT. Our goaltending is average and we only have three legit nhl defensemen. The worst is the coach, who loves to play inferior players, overextend shifts, let the team sit back when they have a league, doesn't believe in line matching, and can't adjust to any situation. The rest of the coaching staff is just as bad. Sadly, he'll be with us for quite some time because he is cheap and management loves him. This franchise.

Did I read that right? Is that 8 straight home losses for the Isles now? That's alarming, to say the least. The impression I had of them was that they're a young team with its first strong season in a long time, so I assumed this was just growing pains or something. They still have really strong possession numbers, so I wouldn't expect them to continue sliding. But this is pretty concerning. (Columbus is the hottest team in the league anyway, so a shootout loss to them isn't the end of the world).

Also it's strange seeing Dubnyk have so much success in Minny, but I'm happy for the guy. That is a frightening team, and looks poised to make a big splash in the playoffs. Their goal differential since Jan 15 is +47, good for 1st in the west. Calgary is 2nd with +12.

This is about what I expected from the Oilers though. 8-1 Kings, and counting.

The Pens poor play has them fighting for a WC spot tonight against the Sens.

Crosby and Hornqvist have come up big so far tonight. Up 3-1 but just allowed a SH goal. Even Beau Bennett scored tonight. Hopefully this'll lead to them waking the fuck up. They should be embarrassed it's come to this.

Annnnnnd the Pens choke. Up 3-0 and now it's tied at 3.

That Hoffman cat for Ottawa is damn good.

ETA: And we lose in OT. I really hope we don't make it at this point. Wouldn't do anything in the playoffs anyway. At least we can look forward to the draft. Maybe get a nice first round pi -- Oh, wait... traded that one away.

Knowing how the Oilers draft, the Pens should've sent us a bag of pucks instead of that pick. At least those pucks would've seen some ice time.

Honestly I think Boston will be knocked out. They face a pretty tough schedule, going on the road at the Caps, Panthers and Lightning. I can see the Pens, Sens, Wings, and of course the Isles making it.

Impressive couple of road wins by the Jets, shutting out the Wild and then the Blues. They are looking playoff-bound, these Jets. Can't wait to see the MTS centre if (when) they make it.

If the Oilers can hold on, I think WPG needs 1 point to clinch.

Edit: and there it is. A Vancouver-Calgary first rounder looms large. And the Jets are oh so close!

I think the Jets need one more victory and an LA loss in order to get in the playoffs. They would lose the first tiebreaker, what with the least amount of regulation/overtime wins amongst the wildcard contenders.

Eta: scratch that, they just need to win one more game, or have LA lose one more. At this point, LA has a better chance of getting third than the final wildcard spot. Which I still think is going to happen. I think Calgary is going to be the team not making it *finds some wood to knock*.

I think the Jets need one more victory and an LA loss in order to get in the playoffs. They would lose the first tiebreaker, what with the least amount of regulation/overtime wins amongst the wildcard contenders.

You're right about the tiebreakers, but I think 2 points will do it for the Jets regardless of what LA does. That would give them 98, while LA can only get to 97.

But yeah, they're likely to land the Ducks in the first round, which is a great alternative to either Nashville, St Louis or Chicago.

The Pens poor play has them fighting for a WC spot tonight against the Sens.

Crosby and Hornqvist have come up big so far tonight. Up 3-1 but just allowed a SH goal. Even Beau Bennett scored tonight. Hopefully this'll lead to them waking the fuck up. They should be embarrassed it's come to this.

Bennett is a good player who is both young (so yes, does make mistakes) and stuck on an abysmal line most of the time. But not only did he score, he had a few solid solo attempts with some nice footwork. Semi-relatedly, guess how many games its been since Adams scored a goal. I really want to see more of Bennett. And really, I do not understand why the Pens play their 4th line so much compared to other teams when our 4th line is fucking terrible.

Archived