NHL 2015 Playoffs - The Quest Begins...

Jabronius Maximus

:lol: I'll let that slide. But mostly out of pity because the Pens might miss the playoffs :P.

(All in jest; I really hope they make it)

Ottawa is now in, making it 5 Canadian teams in the playoffs. It looks like they'll play Tampa or Montreal, depending on how the games finish tonight.

So far so good! Up 2-0 in the third.

So far so good! Up 2-0 in the third.

And they pulled it off, grats to the Pens, even though there is a monumental task ahead (vs the Rags, and no Letang to boot).

It should be even more exciting this time around, with 6 teams in the playoffs who weren't there last year. Habs-Sens and Nucks-Flames should have plenty of fireworks. The Jets better hope the Ducks win tonight, otherwise they're looking at a tough series against the Blues. I like their chances much better against the Ducks.

The Caps have home ice, thanks to some garbage coaching decisions in the Jackets-Isles game. Bad way to end the final home game at the coliseum.

At least Tavares might win the scoring race this year.

This is why they need to do away with the loser point. Or at the very least go by wins as the first tie breaker.

This is why they need to do away with the loser point. Or at the very least go by wins as the first tie breaker.

The first tiebreaker is regulation/overtime wins. Both teams have 40 ROWs, so that moves to the next tiebreaker, which is points in head-to-head matchups. They emphasize ROWs so that shootout wins don't contribute to deciding a tiebreaker. I agree though, overall wins should factor in at some point.

The first tiebreaker is regulation/overtime wins. Both teams have 40 ROWs, so that moves to the next tiebreaker, which is points in head-to-head matchups. They emphasize ROWs so that shootout wins don't contribute to deciding a tiebreaker. I agree though, overall wins should factor in at some point.

Thanks for the clarification. It's funny that their afraid to let shootout wins contribute to deciding a tiebreaker, but have no problem with possible shootout losses contributing.

Thanks for the clarification. It's funny that their afraid to let shootout wins contribute to deciding a tiebreaker, but have no problem with possible shootout losses contributing.

The competition committee will likely be changing overtime to reduce the likelihood of shootouts happening. Things like 4-on-4 followed by 3-on-3, or an extended overtime have been pushed as ideas. I believe the AHL has a 3-on-3 OT after 3 minutes has passed, and hat has really reduced the number of shootouts. Of course, like every rule change I'm sure coaches will catch up eventually and we'll see shootouts occur with regular frequency again. But then no shootouts mean possibly bringing back the tie, so it's a tough spot for the NHL. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 on 3 though.

Anyway, my picks for round 1:

Wild over Blues in 6

Hawks over Predators in 6

Ducks over Jets in 7

Canucks over Flames in 6

Habs over Sens in 7

Lightning over the Wings in 5

Rangers over Pens in 5

Capitals over Isles in 6

Stanley Cup Playoffs really is the best shit ever, so happy to be back in, not confident going up against Chicago but I wouldn't be confident against anyone

Well...Pat Kane is rumored to be cleared for full practice tomorrow, and is probable for game 1. May god have mercy on the preds.

Ducks over Jets in five

Canucks over Flames in seven

Blues over Wild in seven

Hawks over Preds in six

Rangers over Pens in five

Caps over Isles in six

Habs over Sens in six

Lightning over Wings in six

Well...Pat Kane is rumored to be cleared for full practice tomorrow, and is probable for game 1. May god have mercy on the preds.

Damn that was a speedy recovery. I thought he wasn't supposed to be back till mid May. He'll light a flame under Chicago's ass.

No one is giving the Islanders any chance in this series it seems and probably rightly so, they have been real soft on defense lately.

To make it worse, Hamonic being out put our chances from bad to worse. However, if they can stay out of the box and not let Ovechkin beat them, I think they have a good chance. Unfortunately, both those things are very tall orders...

Anyone know if there is a playoff package on NHL.com to watch the games? I don't have cable or anything and am far, far out of market.

West:

Blues in 7

Blackhawks in 6

Ducks in 6

Flames in 6

East:

Sens in 7

Lightning in 6

Rangers in 6

Caps in 7

Pretty damn excited for all the games tonight.

ETA: I'm going with the Sens as my darkhorse to make it to the ECF.

If Bishop weren't the Lightning goaltender I wouldn't hesitate picking them for the SCF. After his monster season last year, he's been shaky at times, and seems like he's the product of a very strong team playing in front of him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Vasilevsky take over at some point; he's shown flashes of brilliance this season.

Archived