Your opinions on Catelyn

TrueOrFalse

Wasn't the fact he was more like ned than any of her children a main reason towards the dislike?

That and the fact that Jon was not her child, so he therefore must suck; Theon too sadly. Cat's chapters are interesting and move the story along, but as a person I feel she really doesn't care about kids if they're not her own. Kind of like Cercie, only she's not insane and evil, lol

She's among my favourite characters. Smart, witty, loyal, proactive. Is often the "only sane women" in the room and has the misfortune that her good advice is mostly ignored. Meanwhile, she has flaws and is generally a well-nuanced character.

OTOH, one of biggest reasons I dislike Lady Stoneheart is the fact that Catelyn is turned into this...grotesque caricature of a (un)person.

I thought she was an excellent character. I was saddened when she died. Catelyn was a good negotiator imo, but the Starks just had a strings of bad luck. For example, can we blame Catelyn for not knowing that her sister was crazy? I think not.

Theon too sadly.

Theon isn't Cat's responsibility, Ned's at fault if he felt mistreated same goes for Jon

I Her attitude towards Jon is shameful, the boy is more like Ned than anyone else in the book.

There's nothing shameful about wanting nothing to do with your husband's bastard that he dumps right in front of you. Cat was a breath of fresh air because of how she reacted to Jon, she didn't become this saintly mother figure nor did she turn into the wicked stepmother trope; she tolerated Jon and did her best to aboid him in order to keep the peace. That is by far the most realistic reaction a medieval woman would have to her husband's bastard.

Theon isn't Cat's responsibility, Ned's at fault if he felt mistreated same goes for Jon

You're only proving me right by saying stuff like this. Yea Cat was great though, lol

I'm rather happy she's now as ugly on the outside as she is on the inside. That's karma for yea.

That and the fact that Jon was not her child, so he therefore must suck; Theon too sadly. Cat's chapters are interesting and move the story along, but as a person I feel she really doesn't care about kids if they're not her own. Kind of like Cercie, only she's not insane and evil, lol

Ah, the world hasn't turned upside down. The hatred still exists.

By the way, she cares about Mya Stone, just as an example.

Every decision she made was the wrong one, I can't stand her and all the whining she did.

Really? Because last I checked 99% of House Stark's mistakes would have been prevented if they listened to her

You're only proving me right by saying stuff like this. Yea Cat was great though, lol

How exactly?

Theon and Jon are as much of her responsibility as Jeyne Poole is

Jon is Ned's SON and Theon is Ned's WARD; they're his responsibility and he clearly did a bad job considering how emotionally stunted and depressed both are

I don't like her at all. She's a cold character she's snobbish, she's selfish and arrogant. I have never liked Catelyn she is not a character/person I would want to sit down with or talk with.

But she's GRRM's most unique character and I feel more sympathy towards her than any character besides Visery in the series. She's smart, loyally, a great mother and wife. I appreciate her character.

She's with Mya for one chapter. When exactly is it stated that she cares for Mya in that chapter too? She wasn't openly cruel to her, but I didn't see any notion of Cat caring for her either.

Really? Because last I checked 99% of House Stark's mistakes would have been prevented if they listened to her

How exactly?

Let's see...abducting Tyrion led directly to Ned's death, war, and the further deaths of thousands. How's that for being wrong?

I think the whole Stoneheart aspect just ruined her. Before that I liked her a lot, despite her flaws, even her coldness towards Jon, but afterwards the whole "Freeeeeeeeys" zombie arc just pretty much undermined her whole character and everything she stood for,. I wish GRRM had just left well enough alone.

But she's GRRM's most unique character

:agree:

Don't like what you said but this I most definitely agree with. Cat a long with Brienne, Sansa, Tyrion and Stannis is definitely one of George's most unique characters; you won't find someone like her in other fantasy series.

• She's motherly without conforming to the "I love all children including my husband's bastard because I'm a virtuous mother" trope

She's savvy but has morals

She isn't sidelined is instead used as a negotiator by Robb

The war is told from her perspective rather than a man's

She's someone her daughters want to be

Despite her conform to society norms she still has strong bonds with those who don't e.g. Brienne and the Mormont women

She is a strong woman in a genre that favors strong men. Add to that she's much smarter than the average asoiaf character. Having said that I have to fault her for blaming a child for the sins of its supposed father. I mean am I the only one who thinks that the Stark kids would have benefited from Jon being embraced rather than rejected? It seems to me that the kids would be conflicted between their love for Jon and their love for mom.

All I can say is that Cat isn't the best mom in the series. Now if you compare that fault to other characters in the series it makes her damn near a saint.

How exactly?

Theon and Jon are as much of her responsibility as Jeyne Poole is

Jon is Ned's SON and Theon is Ned's WARD; they're his responsibility and he clearly did a bad job considering how emotionally stunted and depressed both are

Theon and Jon both have nothing but bad things to say about Cat. One of the few things both characters have in common. She made them always feel like outsiders

But hey Cat totally is just for doing these things, because these two boys who don't have a family of their own should mean next to dirt to her because they're not her children. I'll remember this logic in the future.

That being said, I can understand why she doesn't like these boys from a story prospective................but that sure as hell doesn't make it right. If anything blame Ned, but the boys are innocent.

She's with Mya for one chapter. When exactly is it stated that she cares for Mya in that chapter too? She wasn't openly cruel to her, but I didn't see any notion of Cat caring for her either.

Catelyn smiled, but the smile was tinged with sadness. - Game, p. 370, after Mya told her of being in love with Mychel Redfort.

You're not sad for somebody you don't care about.

Let's see...abducting Tyrion led directly to Ned's death, war, and the further deaths of thousands. How's that for being wrong?

it wasn't Jaime and Cersei fucking and trying to murder Bran, Tyrion hiding that, Cersei murdering her husband or anything of that? It was Cat's fault? Way to blame the victim.

Theon and Jon both have nothing but bad things to say about Cat. One of the few things both characters have in common. She made them always feel like outsiders

But hey Cat totally is just for doing these things, because these two boys who don't have a family of their own should mean next to dirt to her because they're not her children. I'll remember this logic in the future.

That being said, I can understand why she doesn't like these boys from a story prospective................but that sure as hell doesn't make it right. If anything blame Ned, but the boys are innocent.

That's damn far away from comparing her to Cersei.

Cat is no saint, but she gets far more hate and criticism than she deserves.

Catelyn smiled, but the smile was tinged with sadness. - Game, p. 370, after Mya told her of being in love with Mychel Redfort.

You're not sad for somebody you don't care about.

it wasn't Jaime and Cersei fucking and trying to murder Bran, Tyrion hiding that, Cersei murdering her husband or anything of that? It was Cat's fault? Way to blame the victim.

So instead of going about it the right way, she kidnaps him. Directly leading to Ned's death and war, which ended with Robb's death.

Oh, and don't forget the absolute stupidity of letting Jaime Lannister go free. How'd that work out for Jon?

She's sorry that Mya can't marry her love because she is a bastard. Or she sees how badly spoiled Robert Arryn is and wants to forster him at WInterfell.

Of all complaints against Cat, the one "she doesn't care about people who are not her family" is the one I find most ridiculous. Catelyn is one of most compassionate characters in the entire series.

Archived