Eddard+ Lyanna= Jon

Mythrel

OK. I know it's bonkers. But the whole R+L=j has GOT to be a red herring. This theory didn't really come to mind based on evidence, more trying to think like Martin and how he could surprise us all again. Some aspects make sense...maybe....The stark look, His closeness with lyanna. Especially how he broke Thousands of years of tradition to put her in the crypts. He Always seemed trepidatious about Robert being with Lyanna too. Ned's sympathy and lack of action towards Cersei would make more sense. I feel like more than any other POV in the book, Ned's is the least transparent and least literal.

Would just love to see what People think about this, and maybe if some more links could be mad that I haven't bothered to research.

Sorry for lack of detail. I'm a broad thinker!

Even ignoring factual inaccuracies (e.g. the one Mladen mentioned), the fact is that this theory doesn't work on character level as well. Is there anything that made you think that Ned loved Lyanna as a lover, and not as a sister. Is there anything in Ned's actions towards Lyanna that seemed out of the ordinary, something that can't be explained by common sense (e.g. Ned also put his brother Brandon in WF crypts and he wasn't Brandon's lover. Ned simply loved his siblings) ? No.

Jaime and Cersei were the exception, not the rule. Barring Targs, Westeros is not full of brother-sister couples secretly or openly engaged in incestuous relationships.

Even ignoring factual inaccuracies (e.g. the one Mladen mentioned), the fact is that this theory doesn't work on character level as well. Is there anything that made you think that Ned loved Lyanna as a lover, and not as a sister. Is there anything in Ned's actions towards Lyanna that seemed out of the ordinary, something that can't be explained by common sense (e.g. Ned also put his brother Brandon in WF crypts and he wasn't Brandon's lover. Ned simply loved his siblings) ? No.

Jaime and Cersei were the exception, not the rule. Barring Targs, Westeros is not full of brother-sister couples secretly or openly engaged in incestuous relationships.

I pretty much agree. This is less of a theory and more me saying, "wouldn't it be nuts," and opening it up for conversation to see people thoughts.

I can't think of anything specific about Ned And Lyanna that would make me think this. But that's what I was saying about Neds POV's. Considering other Characters always go more in depths about other people in their pasts. We hear more from Brienne about here father, or catelyn smooching with little finger. It's Like Ned isn't completely active as a narrator. As if things were meant to be very vague and open ended for a big shocker type answer to his notorious shame.

Agreed. If you didn't look over the net and you weren't one of the few who concocted the theory by yourself then the theory isn't all that obvious.

I was actually. I felt the reader was clearly meant to see it. Ive read through 15+ times though

Eddard saw Lyanna last time during Tourney of Harrenhal. So, she would have to be pregnant for over 2 years.

We actually don't know this to be true. Ned is in the Vale when when Aerys calls for his head. Lyanna is in the Riverlands when she was abducted, so it is not out of the question that the two of them would see each other in the time between Harrenhal and the kidnapping as both would be part of the preparation for Brandon and Cat's wedding. Still, one has to say they are extremely unlikely to have seen each other after Rhaeger and Lyanna run off together. You know being on opposite sides of the war and all. Which also rules out this crackpot theory for timeline reasons. Jon is born 8 to 9 months before Daenerys, who is born nine moons after the flight from King's Landing. Meaning Jon is born around the time of Rhaella's and Viserys's leaving the city and a month later. The time between the kidnapping and the flight is right around a year, not eight or nine months. Does not work.

So, for this to work one has to figure out how a meeting of Ned and Lyanna could take place during the war AND manufacture a type of relationship we have absolutely no evidence for between the two. Kind of defines crackpot.

Archived