Star Wars Novels/Graphic Novels

Magnar of Skagos

Well there's some prequel era stuff I haven't read yet. But I've read all the post Jedi stuff. Which is why I was kind of Happy they threw it all out.

I was mostly NJO-and-after, which is why I might have more patience for it, despite the hate that work gets.

I might actually go back and reread some of the older Bantam stuff now that there's no main plot keeping me occupied.

The prequel stuff was always a bit meh to me. Not quite sure why.

I don't really find the post-RotJ era very interesting, to be honest.

Yeah, it's a mess.

But pre-Prequels ( Old Republic ) were generally good works ( Bane's trilogy, KoToR , Darth Revan ). I don't understand why they made this uncanonical...

Yeah, it's a mess.

But pre-Prequels ( Old Republic ) were generally good works ( Bane's trilogy, KoToR , Darth Revan ). I don't understand why they made this uncanonical...

It might be Disney planning on treating the EU in the same way Marvel treats the comics. They don't want to be chained to what's come before but that doesn't mean they won't mine them for their own interpretations of characters and stories. I think you'll see some form of these characters/stories in film further down the line - just not at first so as not to give folk the wrong impression.

Who knows it may turn out there are elements of the EU even in episode VII. I'm sure fans will spot them if there are.

It might be Disney planning on treating the EU in the same way Marvel treats the comics. They don't want to be chained to what's come before but that doesn't mean they won't mine them for their own interpretations of characters and stories. I think you'll see some form of these characters/stories in film further down the line - just not at first so as not to give folk the wrong impression.

Who knows it may turn out there are elements of the EU even in episode VII. I'm sure fans will spot them if there are.

If some of the rumors of episode VII turn out to be true, then you hit the nail on the head. Elements of the Legacy of the Force storyline seemingly have made their way into the movie and possibly this trilogy.

Which Legacy though? The novels or the comics?

I'm guessing neither/blend. The idea is Disney use what works for them/a movie. I'd also be shocked if the new Marvel Comics are things that Disney intend to film. If they ever do then the comics would probably have some cynical cross-over time-travel event to make their printed stories fit the film

If some of the rumors of episode VII turn out to be true, then you hit the nail on the head. Elements of the Legacy of the Force storyline seemingly have made their way into the movie and possibly this trilogy.

Which is another good reason to say they aren't beholden to the EU. If they were, then EU fans could very quickly start spoiling the plot of the film with educated guesses. That trick will only work once if it turns out to be very similar though. Going forward I'm sure this won't be as much of a problem - especially with the non-core films. It's not like people refuse to make films about Jesus, Henry VIII or Caesar on the grounds it won't have any surprises. The secrecy thing is probably magnified by JJ Abrams too.

• 2 months later...

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/pablo-hidalgo-lucasfilm-star-wars

So all the novels that have come out over the years about, for instance, what happened to Han and Luke and Leia after Return of the Jedi, those are all “inoperative” now?

We’ve now branded that as Star Wars Legends, because, you know, there are great stories told there, but in all honesty they were written in an era where there was no expectation that we were going to add new movies or cinematic content onto that. So they blazed new trails there without the benefit of that knowledge, and they told really cool and compelling stories, but it’s not necessarily the stories that we want to tell on-screen.

But I always thought George Lucas had ideas in his back pocket for a third trilogy. He spoke about it from time to time, though sometimes he denied it, too. Whatever those ideas were, did they necessarily guide the different novels and comics and whatnot?

It was sort of guidance by absence, in a weird way, like he told us what not to do but not necessarily what to do. It was like, “Don’t do this with that character, don’t do that.”

Once they wiped the entire EU and started over, I somewhat became interested again. The EU had really turned into a big fat mess, and I really resented how every person with a few seconds of screen time instantly had some big tie-in with the Star Wars meta-plot. That wacky droid waddling down the street? Oh, he's a spy for Jabba The Hutt. That random alien in the Cantina? Oh, he's a famous bounty hunter. Uh huh. They would also reference and name-drop the familiar things from Star Wars until it felt like they were slapping you in the face with a copy of the movie. Thus, I burnt out quickly on the EU even though there were a few gems to be found here and there.

I first read the Rebels novel "A New Dawn" and found it a pretty fun read. Kanan and Hera are much more deeply rendered in the book, but they're also clearly the same characters as the cartoon. I was overall pleasantly surprised with it. It had a good balance of humor, action, and character. I also give the author props for not resorting to easy name-drops. In fact except for a bit about Kanan's past as a padawan, there is very little references to events of the movies.

Next one I read was the post Star Wars adventure starring Luke called Heir to the Jedi. This one was a bit more of a mess. There was a conscious attempt to capture immature Luke here, but I think the author took it a little bit too far. It even somewhat reminded me of the tone of Splinter of the Mind's Eye. He's still got the hots for Leia. He really wants to prove himself. One part of the characterization that I *did* respond to, however, was the fact that he relied heavily on lessons learned from Obi Wan, but also those from Han Solo. It made Luke a bit more savvy and willing to play dirty than your typical prequel-style Jedi. It was an okay read, but nothing really spectacular. 80% of the purpose of the book seems to be to explain how Luke can grab his lightsaber with the force in Empire.

The last one I read was James Luceno's Tarkin. Of the three "new canon" novels that I read, this one had by far the most references and name-drops of the bunch. There were dozens of references to events in the Clone Wars cartoon. Not only the episodes that specifically featured Tarkin, but many other plotlines from that cartoon. I knew going in that they consider at this point the only canon items to be the six movies plus the Clone Wars cartoon and the Rebels cartoon, (I think there are also some comics now as well?) however I still thought it was laid on a little too thick in this case. I think I also ended up knowing far too much about Tarkin's childhood, and there was very little that corresponded to the character we saw on screen in Star Wars. One thing I did appreciate about Tarkin was that Darth Vader's characterization is *much* more like the Vader of Star Wars than almost any other iteration of him. He was fallible, not all-knowing, not able to do anything he wanted, and he took direction from Tarkin when need be. He really felt right here. It almost made me want to go ahead and read the last Star Wars novel "Lords of the Sith" but after reading the first couple chapters I didn't really think I could finish the thing.

All in all, I would heartily recommend A New Dawn, and to a lesser extent Tarkin and Heir to the Jedi, but I really didn't care for Lords of the Sith.

I really didn't care for Lords of the Sith.

I have been looking forward to this, because it is written by Paul S. Kemp, one of the most talented tie-in authors in the world. His Forgotten Realms novels starring Erevis Cale are the best that I have read in the franchise.

• 3 months later...

Archived