Can Dany be elected Triarch of Volantis?

Kaibaman

I’ve been wondering since Dany may come to Volantis at some point and if she is able to stir up another successful slave rebellion and gain control of the city like she did with Meereen. If Dany wanted to give her conquest some legitimacy this time rather than outright usurping power from the establishment, could she possibly get herself elected as a Triarch?

As a precondition of these elections, only those of the “Old Blood” who can trace their linage back to Old Valyria are eligible to run for Triarch. As a descendant of house Targaryen, one of the few prominent houses which survived the Doom. Dany can trace her bloodline back to Old Valyria so as a technicality she does meet the requirements for candidacy.

But question is whether or not she could actually be elected. Since slaves can’t vote and the Volanteen nobility will most likely be hostile towards her, it will not be an easy win. Unless of course after she gets the slaves of Volantis to rebel and seize the noble families. Then instead of slaughtering them like she did in Meereen and Astapor, she forces them to elect her unanimously at sword point.

I suppose some will argue that winning an election by putting the constituency under duress won’t be a good start to her administration and she’ll make enemies very quickly like she did in Meereen. But on the flip side if her ascension to power in Volantis is done through the legal channels then at least her rule would be seen as legitimate this time in the eyes of some of the nobility and other citizens of this city state.

Of course this may all be moot since the elections have already taken place so unless Dany gets to Volantis immediately and announces her candidacy, or if Volantis’s constitution has an early election clause, she’ll have to wait at least a year for the next elections. And then there’s the question of who will be her co-Triarchs.

I don't think Dany's storyline could suffer another big break from Westeros in the form of Volantis. After spending 4 books in Qarth and Slaver's Bay, I can't see her spending another one in Volantis.

And even if she does conquer it, why would she hold to established ruling system and proclaim herself a triarch? She didn't name herself Harpy after taking SB cities, after all (and neither should she, she should build her PR around her being fighter against old oppressive system, not its inheritor).

I don't think Dany's storyline could suffer another big break from Westeros in the form of Volantis. After spending 4 books in Qarth and Slaver's Bay, I can't see her spending another one in Volantis.

And even if she does conquer it, why would she hold to established ruling system and proclaim herself a triarch? She didn't name herself Harpy after taking SB cities, after all (and neither should she, she should build her PR around her being fighter against old oppressive system, not its inheritor).

So that she will be more easily accepted among the Volanteen. I'm quite certain that if she takes Volantis, she will want to put in place measures to not only abolish slavery but make sure it does not return. And perhaps use her authority as Triarch to enfranchise the slaves such as giving them citizenship and voting rights. To make such legislation work she'll need to cooperate with the ruling class of Volantis, something which she failed to do in Meereen.

........ But on the flip side if her ascension to power in Volantis is done through the legal channels then at least her rule would be seen as legitimate this time in the eyes of some of the nobility and other citizens of this city state. ..........

How can a "vote me or die" election be done "through the legal channels" ?

And to get to the point where she or the slaves hold the volantis noble families captive.. a lot of blood would be spiled.

Daenerys is a conqueror, not a democratic president. She can conquer and abolish slavery, but she would not enter an election, because she is the Mother of Dragons...

How can a "vote me or die" election be done "through the legal channels" ?

And to get to the point where she or the slaves hold the volantis noble families captive.. a lot of blood would be spiled.

Daenerys is a conqueror, not a democratic president. She can conquer and abolish slavery, but she would not enter an election, because she is the Mother of Dragons...

Ok fine 'through the proper channels'. Either way its all just semantics because I don't think there's any bylaw regarding the use of force to get elected, even though it might still be frowned upon.

One scenario in which this might occur is a slave revolt in Volantis. After the revolt, the slaves either hold another election (as I doubt Dany will reach Volantis in time before the most recent election in ADwD is decided) or declare her their queen. Dany need not necessarily stay and rule as she did in Meereen. She may utilize Volanteen troops to help her take over Westeros.

This popped into my head:

Dany is "wasting" time in Slaver's Bay with trying to rule a city.

Then she goes to Asshai to wander there coz of Quaithe.

Then goes to the runes of Valyria coz wanna show how badass she is.

Then goes to Volantis and waste time with electing her to the Triarch.

Then sails to Westeros to sit on the Iron Throne and all of the people will be like:

"-Hey, what is that sigil? A dragon?

-Aye.

-Never seen that.

-Me neither, but great grandpa told me once the last dragon is a beatifull lady!

-Go check it!"

They go to the seashore and see a 100 years old wrinkled Dany who overlived her dragons.

So, I think she shouldn't go so many places if she ever wants to land at Westeros.

So that she will be more easily accepted among the Volanteen.

Which Volanteen exactly? Old blood will hate her because she abolished slavery and ended their rule - an no amount of "triarching" is gonna change that. Freedmen will like her for the reason she empowered them while slaves will naturally adore her. In short, these last two groups will support Dany exactly because she doesn't follow tradition; because she brings winds of changes with her. How would naming herself Triarch (i.e. upholding the tradition) really help here?

Well Volantis has decided to March on Meereen, but I think the climate in Volantis is actually intresting. The Red Priests are openly speaking out against the slavers, and the slaes are gathering. Not all the Triarchs wanted to march on Meereen but it appears the Tigers have taken over.

The population of Volantis is something like 4 or 5 to 1 slaves. It's mentioned the slave owners of Volantis are very worried about the Red priests and the slaves uprising. By sending away the bulk of their military Strength to Meereen, Volantis has exposed itself to an uprising. I am not sure Dany has to do much with Volantis as Martin seems to have laid the ground work for an uprising. Stopping the Volantis military at Meereen would seem the main part she will play their.

Smart move for Volantis will be for the Elephants rise up after the defeat of the military, remove the Tigers from power and abolish slavery and make reparations before the slaves kill all of them.

As of now Martin still has to address the Dothraki, Qarth, Yunkai, the Sons of the Harpy, Meereen, New Ghis, Marwyn, Moqooro, Vic, the Iron Fleet, Dragon Binder, Tyrion, the Army of Volantis, etc... I mean it is a lot, and he says Dany and Tyrion are coming home, so you know some of this stuff has to sort itself out on it's own. Oh and Pentos and Illyrio, that is something that Needs to be addressed and Hiz and the plauge, and Darrio. Unless winds is going to cover 2 or 3 years some of this stuff has to sort itself out. Word of a Victory at Meereen will be devistating to the slavers, and you may get multiple rebellions in places we will never see. Shit she still has to get back to Meereen. Oh and her new stalker Euron and the Warlocks are still around.

Why the hell would she do that? Meereen was already a pretty shitty idea, why add on to that pile? Either she wants to restore her dynasty or she wants to be the champion of slaves everywhere.

Westeros doesn't have slavery, her freeing people isn't going to do anything for her there. She needed to make a choice, and I think she did: be a Targaryen wanting to bring back her family's power or whatever she was trying to do in Meereen. It makes no sense to have her go to a foreign country, try to wrestle power away from the ruling class and then skip off into the sunset afterwards. Best case scenario, abolishing all slaving practices in all of Essos would take 5-10 years. Either she gets herself to Westeros or she tries that but she can't do both.

She can't just turn up 10 years later in Westeros and say "get off my throne" to whomever will be sitting on the IT, especially if it's an acknowledged Aegon -regardless of the truth- she will look like a power hungry usurper trying to steal her nephew's birthright. She can call herself Queen of Westeros all she wants but if no one agrees with her, than she's not the Queen. And lingering in Essos fighting battles that the Westerosi don't give two fucks about is not going to convince them of anything other than she does not belong there.

Not all the Triarchs wanted to march on Meereen ...

Incorrect. Nyessos (an elephant) was bought by Illyrio and all of Nyessos' wealth is based on slave trade. Malaquo (tiger) was re elected and a new tiger (Belicho) was chosen. So, all the triarchs vouched for marching on Meereen.

Incorrect. Nyessos (an elephant) was bought by Illyrio and all of Nyessos' wealth is based on slave trade. Malaquo (tiger) was re elected and a new tiger (Belicho) was chosen. So, all the triarchs vouched for marching on Meereen.

Nyessos was bought by Yunkai, Malaquo favored marching and Doniphos did not favor marching. Elections are being held, where do you have Belicho being elected in Dance. Does not change the fact that Doniphos was a Triarch that did not want to march. Are you denying Doniphos did not want to march?

Is this a winds spoilers? Because I do not recall the election having been concluded yet. I don't doubt Doniphos will lose because he did not want to march but that does not change the fact he did not want to march. Not all the Triarchs wanted to March and Nyessos needed to be bought.

Nyessos was bought by Yunkai, Malaquo favored marching and Doniphos did not favor marching. Elections are being held, where do you have Belicho being elected in Dance. Does not change the fact that Doniphos was a Triarch that did not want to march. Are you denying Doniphos did not want to march?

Is this a winds spoilers? Because I do not recall the election having been concluded yet. I don't doubt Doniphos will lose because he did not want to march but that does not change the fact he did not want to march. Not all the Triarchs wanted to March and Nyessos needed to be bought.

I am talking about the afterwards of the election. Vogarro's whore clearly said that Doniphos will not be returned. The election was not concluded in Tyrion chapters but we know that the Fleet has sailed from Victarion chapters. So, the elections were done and a tiger was elected in Doniphos' place.

“Elephants with stripes?” Griff muttered. “What is that about? Nyessos and Malaquo? Illyrio has paid Triarch Nyessos enough to own him eight times over.”

“Just so,” said Haldon. “And the present triarchs?”

Malaquo is a tiger, Nyessos and Doniphos are elephants.”

“What word from old Volantis?” Yandry called.

“War,” the word came back.

“Where?” Griff shouted. “When?”

“When the year turns,” came the answer, “Nyessos and Malaquo go hand in hand, and the elephants show stripes.” The voice faded as the other boat moved away from them. They watched its light dwindle and disappear.

“What news from downriver? Will it be war?”

Qavo shrugged. “The Yunkai’i would have it so. They style themselves the Wise Masters. Of their wisdom I cannot speak, but they do not lack for cunning. Their envoy came to us with chests of gold and gems and two hundred slaves, nubile girls and smooth-skinned boys trained in the way of the seven sighs. I am told his feasts are memorable and his bribes lavish.”

“The Yunkishmen have bought your triarchs?”

“Only Nyessos.” Qavo removed the screen and studied the placement of Tyrion’s army. “Malaquo may be old and toothless, but he is a tiger still, and Doniphos will not be returned as triarch. The city thirsts for war.”

“Tigers love to bare their claws, and even elephants will kill if threatened. Malaquo hungers for a taste of glory, and Nyessos owes much of his wealth to the slave trade. Let Alios or Parquello or Belicho gain the triarchy, and the fleets will sail.

Ser Jorah scowled. “If Doniphos is returned …”

“Vogarro will be returned first, and my sweet lord has been dead these thirty years.”

So many things do not make sense here.

1. To what end did Illyrio buy Nyessos? To fight Dany or not to fight Dany?

2. Since Nyessos made his fortune from slave trade, why did he need to be bought? He should be willing to end Dany's campaign too.

3. For whatever reason JonCon thinks Illyrio bought Nyessos, it is mentioned that Illyrio paid him 8 times over for the thing he required from Nyessos as far as JonCon knows. The only reasonable explanation is of course JonCon does not know what Nyessos is supposed to do with so much excessive gold.

4. On top of all these, Grazdan also buought Nyessos to join the march against Dany. And he only bought Nyessos because Malaquo was already willing. However, every intelligent man knows that Doniphos will not return and the tigers will take over. So, even if Nyessos wants to avoid sending the Fleet, he would still be outvoted. So, why did Grazdan buy him? Or did he really buy him?

Everywhere she goes now the slaves will rise up in revolt -- Volantis, Lys, Tyrosh, Myr.... So if she plans to move herself, her army, her dragons and the whole shebang by any conventional means, by the time she gets to Westeros she will be seen as a maniacal tyrant who leaves nothing but death and destruction in her wake.

She has to make a clean break from Meereen and bring herself to Westeros without tearing half the world apart.

Archived