Ukraine 18 - The Rites of Spring

Horza

PBS- Newshour reports fighting renewed in Ukraine and Russian troops massing on the border. During an interview the person interviewed reported OSCE observers have reported seeing Russian troops in Uniform in the Donbass:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/news-wrap-pro-russian-rebels-government-forces-renew-fighting-eastern-ukraine/

This may not be the full story. I'll link to it when it becomes available if not.

Has anyone else read this article about the Internet troll farms in Russia? Fascinating.

Every day at the Internet Research Agency was essentially the same, Savchuk told me. The first thing employees did upon arriving at their desks was to switch on an Internet proxy service, which hid their I.P. addresses from the places they posted; those digital addresses can sometimes be used to reveal the real identity of the poster. Savchuk would be given a list of the opinions she was responsible for promulgating that day. Workers received a constant stream of “technical tasks” — point-by-point exegeses of the themes they were to address, all pegged to the latest news. Ukraine was always a major topic, because of the civil war there between Russian-backed separatists and the Ukrainian Army; Savchuk and her co-workers would post comments that disparaged the Ukrainian president, Petro Poroshenko, and highlighted Ukrainian Army atrocities. Russian domestic affairs were also a major topic. Last year, after a financial crisis hit Russia and the ruble collapsed, the professional trolls left optimistic posts about the pace of recovery. Savchuk also says that in March, after the opposition leader Boris Nemtsov was murdered, she and her entire team were moved to the department that left comments on the websites of Russian news outlets and ordered to suggest that the opposition itself had set up the murder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html?_r=0

Has anyone else read this article about the Internet troll farms in Russia? Fascinating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html?_r=0

Yeah, I read it yesterday and it was fascinating. It didn't seem directly relevant to the Ukraine though and more a general Russia thing. There was also an interesting report from Maddow recently in the same vein basically going over all the opponents of the Russian regime that have died under unexplained circumstances over the last many years.

• 3 weeks later...

The US is sending prepositioned equipement to the Baltics and Eastern Europe:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/23/politics/us-armor-tanks-europe-russia-ash-carter/index.html

From the article:

The equipment, enough to arm one combat brigade, will be positioned in Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Bulgaria, Romania and Poland, Carter announced at a press conference with U.S. allies in Estonia.

Carter said the equipment will be moved around Europe for training and exercises.

I love vague writing. Are we sending enough equipment for a combat brigade in each of the nations or are we sending enought for one combat brigade total?

Apparently Vladimir and Barrack are chatting with each other again. First time in 4 months.

I think we are on the road to relative "normalization" until the end of the year. As I have predicted some months ago.

Apparently Vladimir and Barrack are chatting with each other again. First time in 4 months.

I think we are on the road to relative "normalization" until the end of the year. As I have predicted some months ago.

/looks at news out of Ukraine

Yeah, "normalization".

looking at the wikipedia article on the conflict, it seems the separatist movement has fallen apart, i hadn't seen that on any of the news sources i follow. What does that mean for the separatist militias?

They haven't fallen apart in the sense of no longer being able to co-ordinate (insofar as they ever managed to) or call on their foot soldiers but since their big project got shelved last August they've been in limbo, awaiting either renewal or a political deal that will see them attempt to settle down as some kind of legitimate government (good luck, fellas).

The US is sending prepositioned equipement to the Baltics and Eastern Europe:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/23/politics/us-armor-tanks-europe-russia-ash-carter/index.html

From the article:

I love vague writing. Are we sending enough equipment for a combat brigade in each of the nations or are we sending enought for one combat brigade total?

Bulgarian here. Our government hasn't made ANY agreement with the US concerning the stationing of military equipment here. The CNN can go to hell with its assumption that if the US has planned something, then it has already occurred.

Since US, Russia, EU, and Ukrainian politicians succeeded in destroying Ukraine, I wish the people of Ukraine all the luck in the world. I really do.

Amen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UN has been a complete joke since it was established. No one should have the power of veto.

That's the only way you get the major powers to sign on.

And the UN does a ton of good things despite this. It's not even close to a joke.

Even in this situation it's not a joke. By forcing Russia to publicly veto the investigation they are forcing Russia admit they had something to do with this.

Archived