College Football 2007

Bronn Stone

Fair enough. They did Purdue. That still shouldn't be the signature game for a #1 team. USF or BC deserve it more right now.

After OSU blew Purdue out, everyone was wondering if OSU was that good or Purdue that bad. After Michigan blew them out (14 of Purdues 21 points were garbage time TD's) too, well there goes that debate.

I think BC loses that game too though I don't know about being smoked. The rest of the season for them will be tough. VT, FSU, Clemson, Maryland, Miami. BC's going through that with a giant target painted on their back.

Word.

First of all, Sergio, can you tell me where you got that photo and where i can get some more?

There's one other team that has a realistic shot of being undefeated and that's Hawaii. They haven't been playing as well this year as last so I predict they will lose a game, but if they could stay unbeaten and there was no team without a loss, I wonder if they'd have any chance to sneak into the title game.

Ughh...USF is a joke at #2, much less #1. Yeah, I know they're undefeated, but c'mon. LSU, USC-west, USC-east, Cal, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma would beat them by double digits, no question in my mind. I think BC and VT beat them too. Don't get me wrong, I give them props for doing so well in their 11th season playing football (ever) - but they are not the 2nd best team, and barely deserving of the top 10, IMO. I still think they have multiple losses by seasons end.

Pfft. Theres that establishment bias. Admittedly, I'm skeptical of USF myself.. I think that WV was more than capable of putting them down and choked. And I'll also admit that in both of USF's signature wins they won real ugly, but I think it's unfair to say that all of those teams you listed would beat them by double digits. I thought Auburn and West Virginia would beat them by double digits and it didn't happen. Until they blow it, they deserve the credit.

I agree with you on BC/VT though, I think they're top 5 run ends this week.

Hey, the way things are shaping up WV and VT might have themselves a little date in January. If that goes down I'll see you fuckers there :) . Seriously, first round on me.

The ducks could be in trouble. Sounds like Jeremiah Johnson is out for the year.

The USF bulls in the championship game. that just boggles the mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn beats LSU this weekend. LSU may have blown their against Va Tech.

The SEC east is going to be one hell of a battle. Pretty much only Vandy and Georgia are out. South Carolina and Tennesse are in the best position. Uk will lose again as will my Gators. I'll be happy if anybody but the Vols win.

It will be interesting to see how South Florida deals with the #2 target painted on their collective foreheads. This WILL be an issue. For every team henceforth, from here to the end of the season, beating S. Florida will be the 'game of the year'. Perennial leaders are familiar with this phenomenon. The Bulls are not. Their players will have a hard time keeping this from going to their heads.

And one loss and they are done. Such it is with non-traditional powers. Especially those whose 'big wins' include a victory over a team that lost to Mississippi State.

I'm not confident LSU can beat Florida on a neutral field for a second time.

Florida has two SEC losses already and a good shot at a third one this week at Kentucky. Jeez... I never thought I'd see the day the Cats would go into the Florida game ranked higher than the Gators... in football!!!!!!!! They're pretty much out of the SEC Championship picture.

If Kentucky can get past Florida this week, they've got a real shot at running the table from here out. At Georgia and home against Tennessee will be the big tests left on the schedule. South Carolina has at Tennessee and home against Florida. It will be very interesting to see which of the traditionally mediocre SEC teams plays in the championship. The west will shake out to be pretty interesting as well, I agree that I think the Auburn/LSU game settles that one, but Bama is not to be ignored.

Yesterday, I was driving south on I-65 from Elizabethtown to Bowling Green (Kentucky) and I passed three or four RV's with big LSU stickers on the back... I gotta think that's one long drive back to the Bayou.

The national championship picture won't sort itself out for weeks. At this time its entirely too early to make any real predicitons. It'd be something if Ohio State lost all those players from that monster team of 06-07 and then won the title the next year with a clearly inferior team. Similar to when Tee Martin led UT to the title the year after Peyton graduated.

I'm not confident LSU can beat Florida on a neutral field for a second time.

I have heard this numerous times since the LSU game. Chances are LSU will not have to beat them twice b/c Florida is not going to make it. South Carolina, Kentucky, and UT all have just one loss and are looking very good. We will know more after Florida vs UK. Personally, I think UT comes out of the East. LSU may not make it either. Auburn is really starting to play well.

As for predictions for the NC game. I have no idea. This season just makes no sense.

OSU may not deserve the ranking at the moment, but if they finish out they will. I'm a homer, but I am realistic. The remaining schedule is a tough one. Penn State will be ranked in the top 25 when we play them at home. They have 95 points in the AP this week, making them 26th. Then we play 7-2 (probably) Wisconsin, who will be ranked as long as they continue to win. Following that, will be 8-3 Illinois, who will be ranked if they can play Michigan close next week. Then you finish the season at the big house, with a top 15 Michigan (9-2) team that doesn't even resemble the 0-2 team they started out as. I'm not guaranteeing an undefeated season here, as I think the final four games of the season are quite nasty. Penn State and Michigan away will be one hell of a test. If we get it done- we deserve it. If not, nothing would surprise we in the NC picture.

In response to rhombencephalon's post about this being an inferior team from last year- that's the big difference. Last year we had a bunch of really talented players, this year we have a talented team. I think it is very beneficial that no one is getting the individual attention that last years team recieved. No SI covers, no Heisman talk, no distractions, no hype- they just go out and get it done, playing good defense (1st) and sound offense (41st).

It will be interesting to see how South Florida deals with the #2 target painted on their collective foreheads. This WILL be an issue. For every team henceforth, from here to the end of the season, beating S. Florida will be the 'game of the year'. Perennial leaders are familiar with this phenomenon. The Bulls are not. Their players will have a hard time keeping this from going to their heads.

This is an excellent point. VT has been a major player in college football for 10 or 11 years now - and we still don't know how to deal with expetations when we're ranked highly, or thought of as the favorite in a big matchup. If we're #12, playing #3 Miami, we'll win every time. Flip those rankings around and we tend to become the Chokies.

So, yeah, this will be interesting to see how USF handles it.

I have heard this numerous times since the LSU game. Chances are LSU will not have to beat them twice b/c Florida is not going to make it. South Carolina, Kentucky, and UT all have just one loss and are looking very good. We will know more after Florida vs UK. Personally, I think UT comes out of the East. LSU may not make it either. Auburn is really starting to play well.

I think it's SC this year. Spurrier has a history of making Fulmer look stupid, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again. Florida is going to beat Kentucky, and then I think the Ol Ball Coach is going to get his former team this time around. SC makes it to the Championship game to play whoever wins this weekend between Auburn and LSU.

And Buffalo does it again! We just beat Toledo 43-33 in a game that seemed to take forever to improve to 3-4 on the season (possibly our best record ever since moving up to Division 1A), 3-1 in the MAC (our best conference record ever) and having back-to-back victories for the first time in 8 years. It's been a good day.

Yeah, Fez, about that. Thanks for giving Gill a place to live for a couple of years but we are going to be needing our coach back now. I'm sure you understand. :P

Word on the streets of Nebraska is that the Athletic Director (Steve Pedersen) is stepping down and Tom Osborn will be taking over. I'm not sure if this is just a collective wet dream or not. The hope is that with Osborn as AD that it will be possible to lure Pelini back. Quite possibly another wet dream.

*sigh*

Especially those whose 'big wins' include a victory over a team that lost to Mississippi State.

Now that may have been an unnecessary jab. USF's victory over us (Auburn) got them into the top 25. Their victory over WVU got them in the top ten. And we'll see how the Auburn win looks at the end of the year. If we can find a way to beat LSU it's going to be hard to keep us out of the championship game.

Word on the streets of Nebraska is that the Athletic Director (Steve Pedersen) is stepping down and Tom Osborn will be taking over. I'm not sure if this is just a collective wet dream or not. The hope is that with Osborn as AD that it will be possible to lure Pelini back. Quite possibly another wet dream.

Bo Pelini will literally have his picks of open coaching jobs this season or the next. UCLA, ATM, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Michigan, LSU, and Arkansas are all teams that could potentially be looking for a HC in the next couple of years.

Bo Pelini will literally have his picks of open coaching jobs this season or the next. UCLA, ATM, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Michigan, LSU, and Arkansas are all teams that could potentially be looking for a HC in the next couple of years.
(emphasis mine)

Why would Pelini even consider coaching an Automated Teller Machine??? Wouldn't he do better with an actual bank? :P

He's already coached at Nebraska and has said that he liked it here a lot. While his preference ( I imagine) would be to get the HC job at LSU, I'm sure that NE would be his second pick. He's already had success here, the fans love him, and it would be a pretty cush job following the season that Callahan has had so far. You could do worse but it would be very difficult.

Ken, I guess it will come down to his preference in recruiting. Can he get decent kids to sign. Fortunately, most NE fans seem to realize this disadvantage, and don't seem to rabidly scream for National Titles yearly.

(emphasis mine)

Why would Pelini even consider coaching an Automated Teller Machine??? Wouldn't he do better with an actual bank? :P

Can you blame him? Shove a piece of plastic into a wall and green shoots out at you. Life is good.

The Ducks did lose Jermiah Johnson for the year as well as Cameron Colvin at WR. They had already lost Brian Paysinger for the year who was their leading WR early on. They do have a lot of depth there, but that hurts. At RB, Johnson is a great #2 but they still have Steward so as long as he can stay healthy (he's had nagging injuries the last two years) they should be fine. Dixon is still playing at a very high level. 40-0 against WSU at half!

Archived