Jack Vance

thiazyl

Vance wrote,

It would be so simple if I could bring myself to say science fiction, which I can't because I detest the field. I don't like the people in it. Not the writers, but the fans. The young fans and some of their adolescent attitudes of going to conventions in funny clothes and being Star Trek-ians and getting all these strange societies up. I think I don't want to be associated with those people. There are a lot of people, well, up in Seattle [at NorwesCon] I met a number of them, extremely nice people who are bright, intelligent.

Hahaha

this man is brilliant - great great interview

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally finished The Face and The Book of Dreams over the holidays. Classic Vance style. Enjoyed both of them. If I had to rank the five stories it would look like:

1. The Killing Machine

2. The Face

3. The Book of Dreams

4. The Star King

5. The Palace of Love

Currently I'm going to take a break from Vance but look forward to reading the Lyonesse trilogy next. My only wish is that my to read list wasn't so big so that I could go back and reread these stories. Now that I know the stories, I could pay special attention to Vance's word and style. I know that nothing is stopping me from rereading them but there is this unstoppable force that drives me to read new stuff. Perhaps in the near future.

Looking forward to getting my Jack Vance Treasury. More books for the pile.

thiazyl

His Moon Moth novella is one of the greatest ever written. A totally alien culture, music, slaves, betrayal and murder...

It's out pf print and absurdly expensive for a secondhand copy though. However it will be republished in the Jack Vance treasury.

Seriously? I picked it up a few years ago for a just one or two dollars in a roadside secondhand bookshop in Nova Scotia, where they had dozens of old Vance paperbacks. Pretty much every single secondhand bookshop I visited in Canada & the US had loads of cheap Vance books in. Someone living over there could make a mint, or possibly just flood the market and bring the price down a bit for us poor Europeans...

I doubt it, tbh, though I don't know for certain - most of his stuff is pulp SF, and a lot of them were even published in that back-to-back format that never gets used these days, so I really doubt his publishers at the time would have splashed out on producing hardbacks. The only Vance hardbacks I have are Lurulu and the one he wrote as Ellery Queen (A Room To Die In).

I was expecting this to be a massively, high-priced limited edition, and was pleasently surprised to see how affordable it is. I may plump for this if it appears on Amazon.co.uk (it's listed, but no price as yet).

• 4 months later...

A long 1976 interview with Jack Vance has been posted on Youtube in twelve parts:

The man remains witty and intelligent in my opinion. I've only seen the first one sofar but already I agree wholeheartedly with his idea that for the sake of the reader's suspension of disbelief, the author should stay out of publicity or keep a low profile, since by coming into publicity the author basically puts his face between that and the secondary world . I think this has merit.

• 1 year later...

Announcing SONGS OF THE DYING EARTH — the Jack Vance Tribute Anthology! (link)

Today, in order to honor the magnificent career of Jack Vance, one unparalleled in achievement and impact, George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, with the full cooperation of Jack Vance, his family, and his agents, suggest a Jack Vance tribute anthology called Songs of the Dying Earth, to encourage the best of today’s fantasy writers to return to the unique and evocative milieu of The Dying Earth, from which they and so many others have drawn so much inspiration, to create their own brand-new adventures in the world of Jack Vance’s greatest novel.

Authors — stories in hand:

* Robert Silverberg

* Terry Dowling

* Glen Cook

* Tanith Lee

* Liz Williams

* Kage Baker

* Elizabeth Moon

Authors — slated to contribute:

* Neil Gaiman

* Dan Simmons

* Elizabeth Hand

* Matt Hughes

* Mike Resnick

* Phyllis Eisenstein

* Paula Volsky

* Howard Waldrop

* Tad Williams

* Walter Jon Williams

* John C. Wright

* Lucius Shepard

I actually have sent them a mail asking about whether GRRM is contributing a story or not. He originally said that he was doing so. Plans may have changed, but I hope not.

Archived