January 2011 Reading Thread

palin99999

Almost managed 21 last year. Still have a stockpile and worryingly there's an ectensive list of 2011 books that I simply have to buy and read before the year is out.

I'm currently finishing off "the scarab path" by Adrian Tchaikovsky and then I'm most likely going to give "the Twelve" a shot by Jasper Kent, which should tide me over until Joe Abercrombie's "The heroes" arrives at the end of the month.

I honestly don't count how many I read year to year...I re-read a lot of books when I don't have anything new in the stable, as I just can't bring myself to borrow from the library...

Right now I'm working my way through my Christmas gifts...

Warriors, Canticle - Ken Scholes, one of the most recent Trek books, The Osiris Ritual - George Mann, the first two volumes of Terry Moore's Echo (his follow up to Strangers In Paradise, which all comic book fans should read) which I hadn't gotten into yet because he started releasing them about the time I went cold turkey on comics, a Get Fuzzy collection...

It's an eccelectic bunch of books...

I managed to read 79 books which is staggering to me. I don't think I'll read that many this year.

Currently I'm reading The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan. I love it so far! At this rate I'll be finished this by tomorrow at the latest. Avempartha by the same author is next.

I got through 134 last year, which is significantly more than I have before.

I just finished Preludes & Nocturnes and was totally blown away by it. 24 Hours and The Sound of Her Wings were both brilliant. I keep hearing that this is the weakest Sandman. Is that even possible?

No idea how many I finished last year, but on my list are currently:

The Night Angel Trilogy By Brent Weeks (already heard the first few chapters)

The last two Neuromancer novels.

Dune

Probably re-reading the Tales of the continuing Time series by Daniel Keys Moran (good stuff, if a bit odd at times)

The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix

and some other things.

I read over 150 books, but I'm retired and a fast reader with no car and I do not like television.

Recently finished Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel which was wonderful and I loved it. Now reading House Name by Michelle West. I have to say, after Wolf Hall every other writer pales.

Reached the one fifth point in Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's Towers of Midnight yesterday. I'm sure most who want to have already read it so it hardly matters, but I suppose I may as well add some general impressions of the first bit [i don't want to go into the actual TofM thread yet, as I've managed to keep myself unspoiled]:

Really sorry, I'm not sure why my spoiler's not working, or if it's my incompetence or what it is. Um, here there be mild spoilers.

[spoiler=]-- I like the way Lan's ride toward the Blight is being used thus far

-- Perrin is alternating in what feels like a somewhat wobbly manner between being pragmatic [i like] and Mr. Angstiepants over issues he really should have worked out books ago; he's also taking up rather a lot of space, with segments in [i think] five out of ten chapters so far [though one of those, while it's Perrin's plot arc, is a welcome Morgase pov]

-- Whitecloaks are tools; This is not news, but now they're being tools and obstructing the plot thereby, which is unforgivable. Even Galad the Perfect-and-Shiny-Whose-Shit-Don't-Stink is becoming more of a tool by spending time amongst them.

-- Apparently having life-changing experiences on mountaintops automatically turns you into a zen master. Who knew.

-- As things enter the beginning-to-come-together-but-not-quite-there-yet stage, the timeline starts having fun with the structure of the book. I actually quite like this, but it can throw one for a bit of a loop when chapter 2 unquestionably takes place chronologically some significant time before chapter 1, as is the case here.

-- Mat's better ... I guess, I didn't particularly object to him in TGS, at least not too much. He's developed an annoying habit of eyeing women up "to recommend them to his friends", which is A: somehow creepier than Mat's former player-but-honest-about-it-and-never-genuinely-aggressive-or-harmful persona and B: entirely too repetitive and frequent.

-- At the one-fifth mark and Elayne's literally just now shown up, being peremptory and cranky. Oh, Elayne, never change.

-- Writing's pretty dodgy in this one. It's still a huge achievement, but I can definitely see the editorial and rewriting strain involved in getting both this book and WoK out in one year reflected in both texts.

I'm not sure how many books I read last year, my guess would between 40-50.

I just finished Dog Blood by David Moody (good stuff), currently reading Dark Haven, book 3 of the Chronicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z Martin, it's not great or anything special/new, readable though.

Next read, Matterhorn or perhaps something Zombie or Steampunk.

Finished Hunter's Run a few days ago. What a fantastic book. I haven't read anything by Daniel Abraham, but I may just have to check out his Long Price Quartet now.

I just started Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance. What a different type of book! Much more difficult of a read, in regards to the prose and diction but equally enjoyable and interesting. Excited to explore more of this strange world.

Reading The Windup Girl and Empire in Black and Gold. I'm liking both, and they seem to have pushed aside Sanderson's Way of Kings, at least for now. Way of Kings seems to be trying to have its cake and eat it too - its a massive, detailed slow moving epic, but its also twitchy, multi stranded, crammed with action scenes, poorly explained worldbuilding and all the plot lines are in media res. Say what you will about WOT, or other staple fantasy worlds with prophetic farmboys, they were actually incredibly immersive thanks to the way the story slowly builds out from the familiar, both to the reader and the characters. In WoK, theres a big messy world and a big messy plot, but not the chance to get to know it in an organic way. 

Archived