The War on Morning Coffee

MercenaryChef

Oh coffee, how I miss thee... :(

I'm still allowed one cup a day but it just doesn't taste the same anymore. It's such a shame, really. Having my 2-3 cups of strong coffee early in the morning was the best way to start my day, now I'm up early anyway and I just don't know what to do with myself.

I love my coffee. You can pry it from my cold, dead hands.

That jackass commercial makes me angry. In fact,it's on as I type and I'm hard-pressed not to throw things at my tv.

I love my coffee so much I have 3 different ways to make coffee in my kitchen: Regular drip machine with grinder, french press and espresso machine. Divine! Hell, we even have a french press that is for camping! Being in the middle of nowhere in the Rocky Mountains is no excuse for instant coffee!

Don't take cream or sugar in my regular coffee, but I do like a nice cappuccino. So, go figure that.

Coffee forever!!!!

It is difficult to properly grasp the significance of good coffee in my life.

My morning ritual consists of putting a liter of water on to boil in our electric kettle, scooping half a cup of Dean's Beans Ring of Fire beans into my burr grinder (setting 23) and savoring the smell of the beans as I clean the my Bodum thermal French Press caraffe. When the coffee is finished being ground, I wait for the kettle to give its satisfying ding indicating the water has reached the point of boiling.

I then pour the coffee grounds into the caraffe and add the water, slowly at first in order to extract the flavor, then filling it up. Stirring with a spoon, I place the lid and filter on top and set my kitchen timer for five minutes.

When that timer begins its beeping, I plunge the French press down, inhaling the sweet aromas of the coffee. In order to be able to appreciate the fresh taste of the coffee (and because it's in a thermal caraffe that keeps the coffee quite hot), I will generally place a couple of ice cubes in my mug along with that most wonderful first cup of coffee. This allows me to immediately savor large sips of the coffee without risk of burning my tongue.

I generally fill up my thermos mug with about half of the remaining coffee, leaving enough for a second mug after I have drunk the first. With this thermos mug in hand, I can set off for work safe in the knowledge that I will be sipping hot coffee for hours to come.

I do not, of course, adulterate the pure pleasure of this coffee with any form of impurities such as milk, cream, half and half, or sugar. While I understand that such things are sometimes useful in diluting the bitter flavor of lesser coffees (such as one might find at a gas station in the middle of the night), I do not allow any such materials near my sweet, sweet, morning cup.

I tend to make any subsequent pots of coffee using either half and half decaf or only decaf (Swiss water method, of course). This allows me to continue my enjoyment of the flavors of coffee without having to worry about losing sleep or getting overly jittery from consuming too much caffeine.

Sadly, my espresso machine has been out of commission for quite some time, but I find that using my Aeropress works quite well as an alternative, although it does not produce a proper crema, of course. That aside, it performs quite admirably. In particular, it makes for a deliciously refreshing beverage when brewed over ice.

I never understood why people find the need to destroy the pure taste of coffee by polluting it with sugar and something that came out of a cow.

Hear, hear!

Coffee has exactly two ingredients: coffee beans and water. As soon as other stuff goes in it stops being coffee and starts being coffee-based (or even just coffee-flavoured) beverages.

But to each their own, drink whatever sissy coffee-flavoured drinks you want. What I can't get over though is how their sissy drinks have ruined the simple act of ordering coffee. I'm not an old person, but I still remember a time when the only follow-up question when ordering a coffee was to ask what size cup you wanted. :tantrum:

It is difficult to properly grasp the significance of good coffee in my life.

My morning ritual consists of putting a liter of water on to boil in our electric kettle, scooping half a cup of Dean's Beans Ring of Fire beans into my burr grinder (setting 23) and savoring the smell of the beans as I clean the my Bodum thermal French Press caraffe. When the coffee is finished being ground, I wait for the kettle to give its satisfying ding indicating the water has reached the point of boiling.

I then pour the coffee grounds into the caraffe and add the water, slowly at first in order to extract the flavor, then filling it up. Stirring with a spoon, I place the lid and filter on top and set my kitchen timer for five minutes.

When that timer begins its beeping, I plunge the French press down, inhaling the sweet aromas of the coffee. In order to be able to appreciate the fresh taste of the coffee (and because it's in a thermal caraffe that keeps the coffee quite hot), I will generally place a couple of ice cubes in my mug along with that most wonderful first cup of coffee. This allows me to immediately savor large sips of the coffee without risk of burning my tongue.

I generally fill up my thermos mug with about half of the remaining coffee, leaving enough for a second mug after I have drunk the first. With this thermos mug in hand, I can set off for work safe in the knowledge that I will be sipping hot coffee for hours to come.

I do not, of course, adulterate the pure pleasure of this coffee with any form of impurities such as milk, cream, half and half, or sugar. While I understand that such things are sometimes useful in diluting the bitter flavor of lesser coffees (such as one might find at a gas station in the middle of the night), I do not allow any such materials near my sweet, sweet, morning cup.

:tantrum:

I tend to make any subsequent pots of coffee using either half and half decaf or only decaf (Swiss water method, of course). This allows me to continue my enjoyment of the flavors of coffee without having to worry about losing sleep or getting overly jittery from consuming too much caffeine.

Sadly, my espresso machine has been out of commission for quite some time, but I find that using my Aeropress works quite well as an alternative, although it does not produce a proper crema, of course. That aside, it performs quite admirably. In particular, it makes for a deliciously refreshing beverage when brewed over ice.

:thumbsup:

The passion and dedication in this post just about brings tears to my eyes.

Of course I enjoy a cup of instant coffee with milk and sugar, or when I'm at work, with creamer and honey.

What, why are you looking at me like a crazy old uncle who crashed the family reunion sporting the jean shorts and mullett?

I know that in the other thread I'm heralding the dawn of the fl00b underclass against the interests of the high post count overclass, but on the coffee haters I think all can agree.

They will be first against the wall when the Revolution comes if they don't end up on Balls Pyramid first. :commie:

coffee mmm

I brew mine at 180 (my kettle goes to an exact temp, but generally goes over by about 5-10 degrees, so closer to 185, 190) which, after five minutes in a french press generally brings the coffee down to perfect drinkable temperature without any ice milk or waiting. just sip and bliss.

My favorite coffee place in santa monica brews with a syphon. oh soo good, imo. They also have cold drip coffee that takes them hours to make (you can watch the coffee dripping through ice and then a four foot tall spiral of glass like something out of Sword and the Stone) and when they serve it, they do not just serve it as an iced coffee. oh no. the ice cubes are frozen coffee as well, because who would want to dilute coffee with frozen water?

I never understood why people find the need to destroy the pure taste of coffee by polluting it with sugar and something that came out of a cow.

You understand cream is used to cut the acidity in coffee? Managing acidity is one of the cornerstones of the culinary arts, so I have never understood why people get all up-in-arms about cream in coffee. I mean no one complains about lemon juice ruining their hollandaise sauce.

Oh coffee, how I miss thee... :(

I'm still allowed one cup a day but it just doesn't taste the same anymore. It's such a shame, really. Having my 2-3 cups of strong coffee early in the morning was the best way to start my day, now I'm up early anyway and I just don't know what to do with myself.

You poor thing.

You understand cream is used to cut the acidity in coffee? Managing acidity is one of the cornerstones of the culinary arts, so I have never understood why people get all up-in-arms about cream in coffee. I mean no one complains about lemon juice ruining their hollandaise sauce.

+1

Excellent point.

Further, we must keep the coffee coalition together. Every moment we fight amongst ourselves over the proper way to drink it allows the Energy Drink Consortium and the Tea Confederacy more time to consolidate their power. As you know, the former group is highly productive for terrifying 4 hours spurts and the latter has the backing of a queen.

Cause make no mistake, we're at war here. Read the thread title if you do not believe me. We're under attack from the shady shysters of the energy drink industry who think they can overwhelm our ranks with their promises of taurine and ginseng. Fuck that. We will drive them back to the Jersey Shore from which they came and slaughter their red bulls and blue oxen wholesale. And then we shall return to the coffee shops from whence we came and think of how this particular blend reminds us of autumn in Tuscany.

This we will do because we are coffee drinkers.

This is why I find that diner coffee absolutely requires cream/milk, but my good coffee at home requires none. My stomach (and esophagus) thank me for managing the acid.

+1

Excellent point.

Further, we must keep the coffee coalition together. Every moment we fight amongst ourselves over the proper way to drink it allows the Energy Drink Consortium and the Tea Confederacy more time to consolidate their power. As you know, the former group is highly productive for terrifying 4 hours spurts and the latter has the backing of a queen.

Cause make no mistake, we're at war here. Read the thread title if you do not believe me. We're under attack from the shady shysters of the energy drink industry who think they can overwhelm our ranks with their promises of taurine and ginseng. Fuck that. We will drive them back to the Jersey Shore from which they came and slaughter their red bulls and blue oxen wholesale. And then we shall return to the coffee shops from whence we came and think of how this particular blend reminds us of autumn in Tuscany.

This we will do because we are coffee drinkers.

i promote you to general in our war!

Archived