Books of the Apocalypse: What we're expecting in 2012

Werthead

Ian Tregillis revealed the blurb of The Coldest War:

Someone is killing Britain's warlocks.

Twenty-two years after the Second World War, a precarious balance of power maintains the peace between Great Britain and the USSR. For decades, Britain's warlocks have been all that stands between the British Empire and the Soviet Union — a vast domain stretchin from the Pacific Ocean to the shores of the English Channel. But each death is another blot to Britain's national security.

Meanwhile, a brother and sister escape from a top-secret research facility deep behind the Iron Curtain. Once subjects of a twisted Nazi experiment to imbue ordinary people with superhuman abilities, then prisoners of war in the immense Soviet research effort to reverse-engineer the Nazi technology, they head for England.

Because that's where retired spy Raybould Marsh lives. And Gretel, the mad seer, has plans for him.

As Marsh is once again drawn into the world of Milkweed, he discovers that Britain's darkest acts didn't end with the war. And while he strives to protect queen and country, he is forced to confront his own willingness to accept victory at any cost.

http://www.iantregil...ex.cfm?blog=319

Plot synopsis for Justin Cronin's The Twelve:

At the end of THE PASSAGE, the great viral plague had left a small group of survivors clinging to life amidst a world transformed into a nightmare. In the second volume of this epic trilogy, this same group of survivors, led by the mysterious, charismatic Amy, go on the attack, leading an insurrection against the virals: the first offensives of the Second Viral War.

To do this, they must infiltrate a dozen hives, each presided over by one of the original Twelve. Their secret weapon: Alicia, transformed at the end of book one into a half human, half viral - but whose side, in the end, is she really on?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twelve-Justin-Cronin/dp/0752897861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318954138&sr=1-1

Bantam US will publish a new paperback edition of Fevre Dream in April.

http://edelweiss.abo...&sku=055357793X

CULT STATUS: Those who know of Fevre Dream are passionate about it. Despite its lower sales, it has achieved almost cult status and is, hands-down, George’s most-requested non-Ice and Fire title.

MORE TO COME: With Fevre Dream leading the way in May, in September we will be repackaging the rest of George’s non-Ice and Fire backlist in stunning new trade paperback editions: The Armageddon Rag, Dying of the Light, Windhaven, and Dreamsongs Volumes 1 & 2.

No, I'd like to read it too. Also looking for Tim Willock's follow up to The Religion. It was supposed to be a trilogy. Does anyone know anything about this?

'

I remember reading somewhere that Keck writes slow. Plus the last one was only 2009 I think. Plus TOR. So, maybe sometime before the sun implodes.

Re: Bakker I imagine if he finishes by the end of the year, he could still have his July release, but I think that that date is doubtful now even though Orbit thought it reasonable a few months back. We have no idea how far Bakker is, but he has seemed very distracted these last few months if you look at his blog. Remember, for WLW, there was a year's time between handing in the manuscript and actual release. Even if that goes a bit faster now, you're still looking at a release in the Fall somewhere. I don't see how it could still come out in July.

Also strange that I cannot find a listing for the John Gwynne debut by TOR UK metnioned upthread. If it's a March release, you'd think TOR UK has a listing up. But they don't seem to have much of list for next year on Amazon UK at all, so it could just be that.

Also strange that I cannot find a listing for the John Gwynne debut by TOR UK metnioned upthread. If it's a March release, you'd think TOR UK has a listing up. But they don't seem to have much of list for next year on Amazon UK at all, so it could just be that.

John told me it won't be March - no fixed date yet, still in the edit.

Archived