Books of the Apocalypse: What we're expecting in 2012

Werthead

New update from J.V. Jones:

Ok, I admit it. It's been a long time since the site received any updates. I've been really busy completing Book V of The Sword of Shadows and everything else has been on the backburner. I plan to turn this around soon, starting with regular posts to the journal. Thank you for your patience, JV

http://www.jvj.com/

It's funny, I really enjoyed reading her journal back in 2010 when she posted frequently. She leads a very interesting life and some interests overlap with things I am intrigued by as well.

Interesting. It looks like Blood of Dragons by Hobb and Cold Days by Butcher have been put back to early 2013. Blood is definite, but Cold Days has only been moved on Amazon. No word on Butcher's website.

I've heard that Kearney's Spartacus novel has also indefinitely been delayed, but Kings of Morning and the Sea-Beggars omnibus are still both on-schedule for 2012.

There was an update on Abercrombie's blog as well. His output in 2011 has been substantially less than expected, two-thirds of the first draft are done, with quite a bit of work still ahead. No word from Joe that the September release date cannot be met though.

Also nothing yet from Bakker. I guess he will have to finish in the next 3 months in order for it to still be published this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Multiverse: Exploring Poul Anderson’s Worlds (edited by Greg Bear and Gardner Dozois) will be published in fall by Subterranean Press. Here is the table of contents:

• Introduction: My Friend Poul by Greg Bear
  • Outmoded Things by Nancy Kress
  • The Man Who Came Late by Harry Turtledove
  • A Slip in Time by S. M. Stirling
  • Living and Working with Poul Anderson by Karen Anderson
  • Dancing on The Edge of The Dark by C. J. Cherryh
  • The Lingering Joy by Stephen Baxter
  • Operation Xibalba by Eric Flint
  • Tales Told by Astrid Anderson Bear
  • The Fey of Cloudmoor by Terry Brooks
  • Christmas in Gondwanaland by Robert Silverberg
  • Latecomers by David Brin
  • An Appreciation of Poul Anderson by Jerry Pournelle
  • A Candle by Raymond E. Feist
  • The Far End by Larry Niven
  • Bloodpride by Gregory Benford
  • Three Lilies and Three Leopards (And a Participation Ribbon in Science) by Tad Williams

Martin wrote last year:

-- working on a Nicholas van Rijn story for the Poul Anderson tribute anthology Gardner Dozois and Greg Bear are editing (an especially noisy monkey, since the deadline was today and the story is a long way from being done),

I wonder what happened. I was looking forward Martin's story.

Martin wrote last year:

I wonder what happened. I was looking forward Martin's story.

I think you answered your own question. If he was way behind schedule, plus he had a lot of other things on his plate as well, it's possible he just missed the window for the book. It could still show up, maybe in the paperback edition or maybe online.

A few quick questions:

1) What's the deal with "Triumff: The Double Falsehood" by Dan Abnett? Is it ever going to come out?

2) Why is Amazon.com listing "Blood of Dragons" by Robin Hobb as coming out in July of 2012? I thought this book was slated to come out in 2013.

3) When is "Ransom City" by Felix Gilman supposed to come out? 2012 or 2013?

4) What is the ETA on the "Dangerous Women" anthology and "The World of Ice and Fire"?

5) Also, what is the ETA on:

a. "Unwrapped Sky" by Rjurik Davidson

b. "So Deep a Malice" by John Gwynne

c. The new finished collection of "The Sea Beggars" by Paul Kearney

None of those three (a,b,c) are listed on Amazon UK or .com.

Thanks!

1) What's the deal with "Triumff: The Double Falsehood" by Dan Abnett? Is it ever going to come out?

Dan had a serious medical condition appear without warning about a year and a half ago (late-onset epilepsy, I believe) which had a serious knock-on effect on all the books he was writing at the time. That's why Triumff 2 has been delayed so much. I don't know what the current ETA is on it. He's on Twitter and Facebook, so it should be easy enough to ask.

2) Why is Amazon.com listing "Blood of Dragons" by Robin Hobb as coming out in July of 2012? I thought this book was slated to come out in 2013.

The 3rd one is out shortly, the 4th one next year. Originally they were supposed to come out right after one another, so that edition may not have been updated yet on Amazon.

4) What is the ETA on the "Dangerous Women" anthology and "The World of Ice and Fire"?

I don't believe either have a hard date beyond '2012' for the former. GRRM said he wanted to hand in the final version of the worldbook before New Year's, which indicated a 2012 release (bearing in mind the market for this kind of big, coffee-table companion book, probably Christmas 2012). We don't have confirmation that happened, so who knows? I asked Ran about the situation on the World Book forum.

c. The new finished collection of "The Sea Beggars" by Paul Kearney

Paul's finishing this off now. I think the tentative plan is for it to come out at the end of 2012.

3) When is "Ransom City" by Felix Gilman supposed to come out? 2012 or 2013?

August 2012 as per Locus Magazine. We will see in a month or so when the TOR listings on Amazon for the second half of the year go up.

5) Also, what is the ETA on:

a. "Unwrapped Sky" by Rjurik Davidson

b. "So Deep a Malice" by John Gwynne

So Deep a Malice is coming out in December 2012, as per the recent update by Gwynne's agent, John Jarrold. This confirms the rumour that Macmilland had the book pushed back.

Unwrapped Sky has been delayed to 2013 from what I read. It is indeed taking very long for that to get published.

Here are the contents of The Sword & Sorcery Anthology coming out in June from Tachyon:

1. “Tower of the Elephant” by Robert E. Howard
  2. “Black God’s” Kiss by C. L. Moore
  3. “The Unholy Grail” by Fritz Leiber
  4. “The Tale of Hauk” by Poul Anderson
  5. “The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams” by Michael Moorcock
  6. “The Adventuress” by Joanna Russ
  7. “Gimmile’s Song” by Charles R. Saunders
  8. “Undertow” by Karl Edward Wagner
  9. “The Stages of the God” by Ramsey Campbell (writing as Montgomery Comfort)
  10. “The Barrow Troll” by David Drake
  11. “Soldier of an Empire Unacquainted with Defeat” by Glen Cook
  12. “Epistle from Lebanoi” by Michael Shea
  13. “Become a Warrior” by Jane Yolen
  14. “The Red Guild” by Rachel Pollack
  15. “Six from Atlantis” by Gene Wolfe
  16. “The Sea Troll’s Daughter” by Caitlín R. Kiernan
  17. “The Coral Heart” by Jeffrey Ford
  18. “Path of the Dragon” by George R. R. Martin
  19. “The Year of Three Monarchs” by Michael Swanwick

Link.

Martin's Path of the Dragon is an interesting choice. I believe this novella includes the Daenerys chapters from A Storm of Swords.

Archived