[ADWD SPOILERS] Alleras (Sarella) Lil bit of new evidence

BurntOmen

I know many of you are aware of the almost overwhelming evidence that Alleras (the sphinx) is in fact Sarella Sands, one of the sandsnakes. However i found a new piece of evidence in dance, that to me makes it clear that those of us who believe so are right.

Now we know from feast that Alleras is half dornish, half summer islander and's mother was a trader. While many people have pointed out the appendix in the AFFC, and how it says Sarella is Oberyn's daughter by a trader, now in ADWD's appendix,

the entry has been changed to say she is the daughter of a Summer Islander Trader Caption. This confirms that Sarella is in fact half dornish and half summer islander, just as Alleras is.

I think this piece of evidence combined with the numerous other examples, strikingly similar descriptions of the appearance's of Alleras and Oberyn, the references too Sarella being fascinated by everything, sticking her nose in where she shouldn't, her love of Oldtown, her not being in Dorne because she is playing a "game" elsewhere etc. All of these combined with this newest piece for me anyway settles any doubts about Alleras's true identity.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think she wants to be a Maester at all. I think she wants 2 things. Knowledge and learning that only Maesters have. And knowledge of what the Maester's agenda is, if there is actually one.

Once she has learned these things, I think she will leave OldTown. I do not expect her to don a chain and serve at some Castle, like the Maester's do. I can see her loyalty being to herself and to her Houses interests rather than to the Maesters, which is requirement of being a Maester.

I guess I didn't even know there was a question about this, since Alleras is just Sarella spelled backwards.

I can't wait to find out what happens to her.

Anyone think she's actually up to something sinister, spying, or whatever? Or does she just want to be a maester? I'm thinking the latter.

She spells her name backwards, FFS. Do you people need to be hit with bricks? Clearly, she's a vampire.

Can women even become Maesters?

Obviously she's not planning to be a Maester as a career-- she's there to learn something(s), to spy, or both clearly.

The fact that she, Marwyn, and Pate's assassin are all in such proximity is a very conspicuous coincidence

There have been no female Maesters so far, and she is pretending to be a man, so I'm guessing that's not an equal opportunity career.

I think she's just there to learn something for her own amusement, and she hangs out around Marwyn because he's the most interesting Archmaester.

Why is she so important?

I don't believe she is, but she seems like a fun character.

It's curious that she doesn't seem as angry and hell-bent on revenge is her older sisters. Could she have been mostly raised by her mother? ETA: Scratch that, she's got a Dornish accent.

I know many of you are aware of the almost overwhelming evidence that Alleras (the sphinx) is in fact Sarella Sands, one of the sandsnakes. However i found a new piece of evidence in dance, that to me makes it clear that those of us who believe so are right.

Now we know from feast that Alleras is half dornish, half summer islander and's mother was a trader. While many people have pointed out the appendix in the AFFC, and how it says Sarella is Oberyn's daughter by a trader, now in ADWD's appendix,

the entry has been changed to say she is the daughter of a Summer Islander Trader Caption. This confirms that Sarella is in fact half dornish and half summer islander, just as Alleras is.

I think this piece of evidence combined with the numerous other examples, strikingly similar descriptions of the appearance's of Alleras and Oberyn, the references too Sarella being fascinated by everything, sticking her nose in where she shouldn't, her love of Oldtown, her not being in Dorne because she is playing a "game" elsewhere etc. All of these combined with this newest piece for me anyway settles any doubts about Alleras's true identity.

Yes, another confirmation. Good find.

Question to all:

It seems like Maester Aemon knows that Sarella is Alleras the Sphinx. But how does he know this??

MAester Aemon tells Sam, on the boat to Oldtown, that " The Sphinx is the riddle, not the riddler." Sam doesn't understand and even asks about it.

It seems like Maester Aemon knows that Sarella is Alleras the Sphinx. But how does he know this??

It may have been one of those prophetic visions that Targaryens sometimes experience. Or he could have been referring to something completely different that just coincidentally sounds as if it is connected to Sarella. I think the line is mainly there to make the reader question the identity of "Alleras".

Can women even become Maesters?

Obviously she's not planning to be a Maester as a career-- she's there to learn something(s), to spy, or both clearly.

The fact that she, Marwyn, and Pate's assassin are all in such proximity is a very conspicuous coincidence

I don't think its ever been specifically stated that only males can be Maesters, but since there are no female ones that we've ever read about, its likely they are prohibited. Since Sarella is playing a 'game' we are left to wonder what game, exactly, she would gain any fun or purpose from being in Maester training. Seems fairly obvious, if Alleras is Sarella, that she's heavily involved with the secret movement happening there. But to what end does this serve Doran, or the Dornish?

Archived