Taena of Myr/Lady Merryweather: a double agent?

uncle fester

HAHA so true! everyone IS playing the game of thrones after all :P

Hilarious ... and quite a few of those plotters have wound up in a bowl o'brown!

I like the Dorne theory -- now I have to go re-read all the Taena material. I also thought it was hilarious how she kept deflecting Cersei when Cersei kept urging her to bring her son to court ... I wonder now if that was Cersei's way of testing Taena's loyalty. Anyone truly loyal to the Lannisters would jump at a chance to bring their son to hang out with KING Tommen!

• 1 year later...

If the Tyrells think she's theirs and Cersei thinks she's hers, then in reality she has to be someone else's. biggrin.gif

Not sure who that would be — not everyone can work for Varys and Littlefinger — but I think the Dorne possibility is interesting.

I would eliminate Varys because he seems to prefer his 'little rats'/tongueless children. Although he is indeed from Myr like Taena.

I would eliminate the Tyrells because Taena positively egged Cersei on against Margery, nor did she warn the Tyrells about Cersei's plot. However the Tyrells could have Russel as a hostage, and Taena is on the face of it a Tyrell spy, whilst actually being either a spy for the Martells or Littlefinger. How she would explained her oversight in not warning the Tyrells about Cersei's frame up of Margaery is beyond me.

Useful questions?

If Taena is working for the Martells then who is Littlefinger's spy in Kings Landing? I am aware that many of the clerks and lower bureacracy owe their jobs to Littlefinger, but I imagine he needs atleast one spy in court able to get close to Cersei and Margaery, Taena is ideally situated to spy on both.

If Taena is working for Littlefinger then who is Doran's friend in Kings Landing? Aron Santagar was Dornish but is now dead and Doran spoke in the present tense. Septa Scolera is described as olive skinned which could hint at a Dornish origin, but I don't see how she could pass the Martells on much useful information about Cersei until after Cersei's arrest.

How and when would Taena and Littlefinger have met up, the Reach and the Vale are nearly on opposite sides of the country? Taena does not seem to have been at court during the whole of Robert's reign, although it could be that Cersei is very unobservant.

Observations:

Taena is Myrish and Doran is married to a Norvosi, Arianne mentions that she spent her childhood with the Archon of Tyrosh's green haired duaghter. It seems the Dornish are more involved with the Free Cities than the rest of Westeros.

Perhaps Taena knew Oberyn or Mellario of Norvos from before her marriage to Orton Merryweather.

Littlefinger is aware in AFFC of Cersei's screw ups before her arrest: in Alayne 1 (Sansa 2) of AFFC he says of Cersei "I might have to remove her from the game sooner than I'd planned. Provided she does not remove herself first." which hints I think of his awareness of Cersei's plot against Margaery. Both Osney Kettleback and Taena knew of this plot in Cersei IV (the previous Cersei chapter before Alayne 1) .

Of the Kettleblacks in ASOS Littlefinger says

"The lads are far too treacherous to be part of any such scheme... and Osmund has become especially unreliable since he joined the Kingsguard. That white cloak does things to a man, I find. Even a man like him."

On that basis we can eliminate the Kettleblacks as Littlefingers only spies since LF does not fully trust them.

Emotionally based observations: there is something very Dornish about Taena Merryweather, sure it could be that the Dornish are culturally closer to the Free Cities than the rest of Westeros, but Taena's lesbian dalliance with Cersei doesn't quite seem like Littlefingers style, where as over reliance on sex is very much Arianne's.

Well there goes my attempt at Miss Marple. Anyone want to play Hercule Poirot or Tommy and Tuppence?

The fact that Taena is from Myr is intriguing, especially when coupled with the fact that another woman from Myr (Serala Darklyn) was involved in (and blamed by many for) the Defiance of Duskendale. The DoD is believed by many to be the starting point for Aerys' mental instability, and the beginning of the break between him and Tywin Lannister. We don't know much of anything about Myr, but Taena may have connections and motivations that have their roots across the Narrow Sea.

The fact that Taena is from Myr is intriguing, especially when coupled with the fact that another woman from Myr (Serala Darklyn) was involved in (and blamed by many for) the Defiance of Duskendale. The DoD is believed by many to be the starting point for Aerys' mental instability, and the beginning of the break between him and Tywin Lannister. We don't know much of anything about Myr, but Taena may have connections and motivations that have their roots across the Narrow Sea.

What motivations do you think those motivations and connections might be?

Even so for her overseas handlers to have any impact Taena does need to pass on her information to someone in Westeros who is able to do Cersei more damage than the Archon of Myr (or whoever is in charge)

If she is a relative of Serala Darklyn then she would be anti-targ, but no friend of the Lannisters either...

Myr is a manufacturing hub from memory

The fact that Taena is from Myr is intriguing, especially when coupled with the fact that another woman from Myr (Serala Darklyn) was involved in (and blamed by many for) the Defiance of Duskendale.

And Lady Serala was nicknamed "the Lace Serpent". Snakes are heavily associated with Dorne. Perhaps the historical example of the Myrish "Lace Serpent" serves as a literary hint that Lady Taena, who like Lady Serala is from Myr (and has been facilitating a ruler's mental instability), is herself a "serpent"---not just in the sense that she's tempting Cersei to ruin, but also in the sense that she's associated with the serpents/snakes, i.e. the Dornishmen.

And Lady Serala was nicknamed "the Lace Serpent". Snakes are heavily associated with Dorne. Perhaps the historical example of the Myrish "Lace Serpent" serves as a literary hint that Lady Taena, who like Lady Serala is from Myr (and has been facilitating a ruler's mental instability), is herself a "serpent"---not just in the sense that she's tempting Cersei to ruin, but also in the sense that she's associated with the serpents/snakes, i.e. the Dornishmen.

Cersei tells Jaime "Margaery is not half so clever as she thinks. She has no notion what a sweet serpent she has in that Myrish slut [Taena]."

What motivations do you think those motivations and connections might be?

Perhaps revenge for a Lannister double-cross at Duskendale. The DoD is tough to make sense out of. How could Denys Darklyn hope to get away with kidnapping the king? Why would his wife persuade him to do it? They must have had secret backing from a very powerful Lord, or thought they did. It turns out they didn't. These thoughts undoubtedly went through Aerys' mind as he sat in captivity for six months as well, which is why it actually made sense for him to start distrusting Tywin.

Myr is a manufacturing hub from memory

I've always seen it as a producer of luxury goods- fine carpets, lace, lenses. Small, finely worked items that are sold to the rich. (Historically, because transportation systems were crude and expensive, luxury items always formed a large part of trade.)

edited for spelling

I am inclined to this, but doesn't Kevan's epilogue mention that Taena has left Kings Landing.

When does Doran mention his 'friend at court'?

Perhaps revenge for a Lannister double-cross at Duskendale. The DoD is tough to make sense out of. How could Denys Darklyn hope to get away with kidnapping the king? Why would his wife persuade him to do it? They must have had secret backing from a very powerful Lord, or thought they did. It turns out they didn't. These thoughts undoubtedly went through Aerys' mind as he sat in captivity for six months as well, which is why it actually made sense for him to start distrusting Tywin.

I've always seen it as a producer of luxury goods- fine carpets, lace, lenses. Small, finely worked items that are sold to the rich. (Historically, because transportation systems were crude and expensive, luxury items always formed a large part of trade.)

edited for spelling

That's a rather intriguing possibility. If she is working for the Dornish, then her desire for vengence against the Lannisters would tie in nicely with theirs.

I am inclined to this, but doesn't Kevan's epilogue mention that Taena has left Kings Landing.

When does Doran mention his 'friend at court'?

He mentions his "friends at court" in "The Watcher", Areo's POV chapter in ADWD, when Doran tells Arianne and the Sand Snakes about Cersei's plot to kill Trystane. We know that this plot was conceived prior to Cersei's imprisonment (she makes a subtle internal reference to it back in AFFC), at a time when Taena was still at court. (We also know this plot was so secret that Cersei didn't even tell her own Small Council about it, so the pool of likely candidates is somewhat low.) In "The Watcher", Doran sends Nymeria to the Red Keep because he claims Dorne needs "a voice in council, an ear at court". But he supposedly already has "an ear at court"---someone highly-placed enough to know about Cersei's super-secret plans to murder Trystane. The last bit of "highly classified" info that we're told Doran has access to came prior to Taena leaving court; this, combined with Doran's wording of his charge to Nymeria, would align with the idea that he had a "friend" extremely high in Cersei's confidence, but someone who was no longer present at court in ADWD (hence the need for a new "ear at court"). Taena fits the bill.

Now I really miss the "Like" button. This is an excellent point.

• 3 weeks later...

He mentions his "friends at court" in "The Watcher", Areo's POV chapter in ADWD, when Doran tells Arianne and the Sand Snakes about Cersei's plot to kill Trystane. We know that this plot was conceived prior to Cersei's imprisonment (she makes a subtle internal reference to it back in AFFC), at a time when Taena was still at court. (We also know this plot was so secret that Cersei didn't even tell her own Small Council about it, so the pool of likely candidates is somewhat low.) In "The Watcher", Doran sends Nymeria to the Red Keep because he claims Dorne needs "a voice in council, an ear at court". But he supposedly already has "an ear at court"---someone highly-placed enough to know about Cersei's super-secret plans to murder Trystane. The last bit of "highly classified" info that we're told Doran has access to came prior to Taena leaving court; this, combined with Doran's wording of his charge to Nymeria, would align with the idea that he had a "friend" extremely high in Cersei's confidence, but someone who was no longer present at court in ADWD (hence the need for a new "ear at court"). Taena fits the bill.

Now I really miss the "Like" button. This is an excellent point.

Your post settles it for me

Taena is definitely spying for the Dornish.

Taena might be spying for the Dornish, but I just want to point out that we have no confirmation whatsoever those 'plans' Dorans supposedly hears about are ever discussed in KL. Either Doran isn't telling the Sand Snakes the entire truth, or Taena is working for yet another person and feeding Doran misinformation.

Taena might be spying for the Dornish, but I just want to point out that we have no confirmation whatsoever those 'plans' Dorans supposedly hears about are ever discussed in KL. Either Doran isn't telling the Sand Snakes the entire truth, or Taena is working for yet another person and feeding Doran misinformation.

I am pretty sure Cersei implies that Trystane will be assassinated in AFFC.

You've convinced me. Taena was spying for Dorne.

If Taena is working for the Martells then who is Littlefinger's spy in Kings Landing? I am aware that many of the clerks and lower bureacracy owe their jobs to Littlefinger, but I imagine he needs atleast one spy in court able to get close to Cersei and Margaery, Taena is ideally situated to spy on both.

I also don't think his only spies were the Kettleblacks. Especially when he basically said he doesn't think they are reliable anymore. No idea who is working for him who is high enough to pass along the info he has in AFFC though.

Great character though isn't she? Bet GRRM had fun writing her. :thumbsup:

Judging from the "Myrish swamp" scene, he most certainly did.

The funny thing about it was that as dumb and crazy as Cersei was, the one thing she had down was the paranoid delusions. It made it so crazy how completely she trusted Taena.

Cersei was lonely. Humans are social creatures - every single one of us has a need for companionship. Besides, Taena's super hot. ;)

I agree with the above theories that Taena was spying for Dorne. It makes a ton of sense, and I hope she reappears later in the books.

Citation, please. I really don't recall that.

"I am sending Balon Swann to Sunspear, to deliver him the head of Gregor Clegane." Ser Balon would have another task as well, but that task was best left unsaid.
"These Dornishmen cannot be trusted. That red snake championed Tyrion, have you forgotten that? I will not leave my daughter to their mercy."

I wouldn't be surprised if she worked for Littlefinger. Or Varys.

like other poster said I think she works for doran martell

I think she might be

working for the Martells. Remember in ADWD when Doran said they still have friends at court? It must have been someone from the inner circle (especially someone who is very close with Cersei) since Doran knew about the plan that they were going to kill his son.

I think doran knew thanks to taena but I also think varys has a hand in this ( it pushes too much doran's buttons

I'll buy that she is working for Dorne

But I think she knows Euron, too.

The "dark, dangerous pirate" from her past could be Crow's Eye.

I think his spies are his crew because he wargs into them

Archived