Rickon is FIERCE

I definitely never even picked up on the mention of Sarella, let alone made any connection to Alleras. I understand now, thanks to Wiki, that it does sound possible, but to what end? What is the purpose? Getting Sam and his connection to the wall, linked to Dorne? Don't see where that is going.

I never picked up on the Sandor = gravedigger stuff either.

I did pick up on the Frey pie, and I think Manderly would be perfectly content eating a bit o' Frey in front of their family.....Fat man is representin', son!

I had zero clue that Loras and Renly were gay until coming to the forums, but rereading the stories afterwards, it really is made almost as blatantly obvious as they made it in the TV show and I don't know how I missed it.

I figured out R+L=J on my own and first went to an ASOIAF forum because I wanted to brag about this amazing clue that I'd picked up in the subtext of the story ... only to find out that I was the 18 millionth person to figure it out and every one of them had picked it up before me.

Totally missed the Frey pie and I still don't know who Sarella is.

Also, we don't yet know if this is true or not, but I didn't make the connection that the Children of the Forest were feeding Jojen to Bran. After reading that theory on this board, I went back and reread it, and I'm convinced Bran's a cannibal now.

SAY WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can tell I totally did not see it that way. I know there was a scene where he thought there was blood in the porridge, but Jojen's?

Can I get a page number for the Sandor Clegane reveal? On my re-reads of this the elder brother says that the Hound is dead. However when Brienne states, "It is true then...Sandor Clegane is dead," the elder brother states, "He is at rest." (aFfC p. 670 trade paperback). Just spot rereading so a page number would help. I have a theory he will show up again as the champion for the Seven Pointed Star's Faith Militant vs. Cersei's Sir Robert Strong.

I have a theory he will show up again as the champion for the Seven Pointed Star's Faith Militant vs. Cersei's Sir Robert Strong.

Brilliant! Hadn't heard that before! I went back and forth over whether that showdown would happen, it's soooo expected and cliche-ish that I wondered if Martin would have the guts to do it, even though I think lots of fans want to see it.

...but if what you're looking for, The Mother of The Others, is a source for the Alleras=Sarella thing, here's one of the threads on the topic:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/54086-adwd-spoilers-alleras-sarella-lil-bit-of-new-evidence/

I haven't looked into it in much detail, but from skimming it sounds legit to me, and the fact that the names are the same was something I feel I should have caught, although as someone said earlier, the references are pretty obscure, and not really at the forefront of anyone's mind while reading, I would guess.

I have only read the series once, ive pretty much missed everything! 1 or 2 things I have figured out but mostly its the whole subtlty of the series that I had no concept of until I came on this board (My excuse is reading it all in about 4 months mostly at night before I went to bed so it didnt sink in !). I am now waiting for my GOT to be returned to me so i can start a re-read which I am very excited about - i will be paying a lot more attention this time ! !

I am ashamed to admit that even now I have no real clue about:

What happened at the tower of Joy

I only figured out what BWB and PTWP stood for a couple of weeks ago and I still cant work out where the Baratheons Castle was pre KL !

Still its all part of the fun of the re-read.

I have only read the series once, ive pretty much missed everything! 1 or 2 things I have figured out but mostly its the whole subtlty of the series that I had no concept of until I came on this board (My excuse is reading it all in about 4 months mostly at night before I went to bed so it didnt sink in !). I am now waiting for my GOT to be returned to me so i can start a re-read which I am very excited about - i will be paying a lot more attention this time ! !

I am ashamed to admit that even now I have no real clue about:

What happened at the tower of Joy

I only figured out what BWB and PTWP stood for a couple of weeks ago and I still cant work out where the Baratheons Castle was pre KL !

Still its all part of the fun of the re-read.

Same with me! I missed every single clue until I found this wonderful board! I am re-reading it now VERY slowly and underlining things and making reference sheets.

THe Baratheons are the stormlords of storm's end. Because they recently held the crown, their conquest had given them Dragonstone as well for Stannis (a post somewhat undesired by him but given him in thanks for his SEA victories during Robert's rebellion.)

(Thanks fierce rickon. I had also managed to forget the Sphinx's gender.)

I am re-reading it now VERY slowly and underlining things and making reference sheets.

Just about to start doing the same... though it suddenly hit me the other day as I was thinking about how I planned to go about making a "study" of this series (underlining, notes, etc.) that I used to make fun of my mother-in-law for highlighting magazines...

That whole Jojen thing hadn't occured to me, either... not sure of the point, though, but interesting that both Bran and Rickon would now be possible cannibals as we enter TWOW... but I really hope not :stillsick:

That's a good point. Hadn't thought about Rickon... Now I'm even more convinced.

My theory is, as hated as it is by most, the Starks will all "go bad" over the course of the series, and certain villains, like Jaime Lannister in particular, will be redeemed as heroes.

Catelyn was the first Stark to fall... and granted, she isn't technically a Stark, but close enough. Arya is in the process of becoming a sociopathic killer, Bran is hanging out with a corpse in a tree and (potentially) feasting on his friends (not to mention, tagging along with a wight who killed Night's Watchmen), and Rickon is an "angry" kid with a massive wolf on an island of cannibals. Likewise, Sansa seems to be under Littlefinger's spell as well, so there's plenty of ways for her to be corrupted by him.

But I digress... and I do apologize to the legions of Stark fanboys out there, because I know it's not something you want to hear, but I'd be willing to put money on it (so long as we're in a jurisdiction where gambling is legal).

I got the Hound = Gravedigger right away, but I think that's because I didn't want to believe he was dead and so was looking for any mention that even sounded like him.

Got Renley and Loras but the whole Pate/Jaquen thing is brand new to me from this thread -- now I'm definitely going to re-read those bits! I could tell something fishy was afoot when "Pate" introduced himself to Sam but had no clue what it was. Innnnteresting.

Frey Pie was another bit of awesomeness that was revealed to me in this Forum -- totally didn't catch it in the book.

Sometimes I feel like I must be missing something ... like the whole bit about Margaery and the Moon Tea. I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone else totally gets why the Maester would have been giving her that, and it's just me that missed something. I'm sure there's a whole thread on it somewhere!

Abortion medication. Look up Pennyroyal Tea.

1. That the Hound was the face-hiding gravedigger on the Quiet Isle. I suspected he was alive and kicking and had made some confession to the brother in the cave, but somehow missed that he was there in plain sight.

2. That LF was the Prime Mover in Sansa's escape. I don't know why I didn't think of it, since he was the Prime Mover in a whole lot of everything else and had the resources and connections to carry it off, and he clearly had a thing for her from the moment he saw her.

3. That Arstan Whitebeard was Barristan Selmy. Again, knew he'd be back, don't know why I didn't put "Barristan" and "Arstan" together (duh- like "Griff" and "Griffin's Roost").

4. Alleras=Sarella. This one's up for debate, but the theory sounds really good.

So that's my list of shame. What's yours? Join me and post if you're not afraid!

I totally didn't pick up on any of these either (well, I got the LF one but only once he revealed himself).

Others:

1) Frey pies

2) Totally thought Davos was dead and we'd just find out how it happened in ADWD

3) Though I did figure this one out after thinking awhile, I didn't immediately catch onto how Arya offed the Insurance Agent.

4) The Abel and washerwomen totally were off my radar until they started heckling Theon. Then I was like "ohhhhh.....:forehead slap: Duh". But I STILL didn't get the Abel = Bael thing till I read the boards.

5) For some reason, I totally missed the significance of Walgrave and then the maester Lady Dustin mentions (and Walgrave's person effects, which were probably important).

6) Totally missed that Jaqen had assumed Pate's identity until Sam's last AFFC chapter, or why Pate got killed.

I am proud of myself for making the "POSSIBLE" Septa Lemore = Ashara Dayne connection all by myself. And for seriously doubting Aegon's legitimacy (and this was before I knew anything about the Blackfyres...)

6) Totally missed that Jaqen had assumed Pate's identity until Sam's last AFFC chapter,

That's kind of a small thing. I assume most people missed that unless they had Jaqen's exact description comitted to memory. Like you, I didn't put together that he was most likely Jaqen until Sam's last chapter. Only after that did I go back and see that no one reference and check the descriptions.

There's also the passage of Jaime's where Loras threatens Brienne and Jaime tells Loras to sheathe his sword or Jaime will shove it up "someplace even Renly never found." :leer:

Also, the description of Loras's grief about Renly suggests "more than friends".

The first time through these books I had know clue who Theon and Davos were once their POVs came, so I "didn't catch" their entire story. lol When Reek and Ramsay were mentioned in ADWD I had to look it up to see that Ramsay had actually been in the 2nd book. With so many characters/names I just drifted off at those parts. I think listening to the books rather than reading them can make missing points easier.

Archived