215 replies to this topic

#1 jdiddyesquire

jdiddyesquire

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Don't think anyone has made a thread yet.

I just finished the first book in the Legend of Eli Monpress omnibus by Rachel Aaron. Fun, but real shallow.

I'm working on Persepliquis, the last novel in Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. Sadly, I think it's one of the weaker of the 6 so far. Only about half way though, so lots of time to turn that impression around.

Think I'll go to The Ruined City by Paula Brandon or Exogen by T.C. McCarthy next.

#2 Guinevere Seaworth

Guinevere Seaworth

Sailor of the Smoking Seas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'm just about finished Magic Study and then onto the final book of the series, Fire Study by Maria Snyder. These have been entertaining so far.

Percepliquis and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon are up after that. (I like well researched historical fiction with a healthy dose of romance /blushing.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blushing:' /> )

#3 peterbound

peterbound

.04%'er

• Members
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm going to try to push through Hamilton's Confederation books. I read the first one a while back, but couldn't get into the whole possession thing. Gonna give it another shot.

I've reserved all the Culture books by Banks from my library. All the talk in the last months thread has made me want to re read them. Also got Wooding's Iron Jackal in my sights as well.

#4 jdiddyesquire

jdiddyesquire

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm going to try to push through Hamilton's Confederation books. I read the first one a while back, but couldn't get into the whole possession thing. Gonna give it another shot.

I've reserved all the Culture books by Banks from my library. All the talk in the last months thread has made me want to re read them. Also got Wooding's Iron Jackal in my sights as well.

I loved those Hamilton books until the possession stuff really got going. It kind of lost me a bit. A little too much fantasy for my SF tastes.

#5 kcf

kcf

Illiterati

• Members
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

I've been slowly but surely getting caught up. I finished up Kultus by Richard Ford a week or so ago (will post a review soon). It was only OK. I'm not reading Control Point: Shadow Ops by Myke Cole which is excellent so far. There's a lot of buzz about this one, and from what I've read so far, it's well deserved.

#6 Triskele

Triskele

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 28,652 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm 2/3 through my first reading of Abraham's A Shadow in Summer, and I have the next one waiting too. It's pretty slow so far, but I feel like that's the consensus and that there's a payoff coming.

I think I'm going to give Rothfuss a shot when I get done with this series. Whether I make it there before the month is out is another question.

#7 hadaad

hadaad

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Finished The Bonehunters last night. Today, I start on The City And The City by China Miéville.

#8 nickg

nickg

Council Member

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Reading Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht. Been meaning to pick this one up for a while now and I saw that it was free on kindle today. Couldn't turn that down. Its good so far.

#9 SkynJay

SkynJay

Now, what did we learn?

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Finished Xenos, now onto Mallets, second part of Eisenhorn. People are right, this stuff is addicting.

#10 Nearly Headless Ned

Nearly Headless Ned

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Dark Entries by Ian Rankin. Its a John Constantine Hellblazer graphic novel and Rankin makes a pretty good stab at it with his take on infernal reality tv. Just felt that 'Constantine in the Big Brother house' was a wonderful opportunity not taken in its entireity.

#11 beniowa

beniowa

counting my To Read Pile

• Members
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'm 2/3 through Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I'm not buying the premise at all, but it's a pretty easy read.

#12 Eponine

Eponine

rain will make the flowers grow

• Members
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm reading Vandermeer's The Weird anthology and then going to get back into Parallel Stories. I'm also buying Broken April and The Other City in real book form since they aren't on Kindle.

#13 Procrastimancer

Procrastimancer

Council Member

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

I'm reading Vandermeer's The Weird anthology and then going to get back into Parallel Stories. I'm also buying Broken April and The Other City in real book form since they aren't on Kindle.

If this is The Other City by Michal Ajvaz, that book is fucking excellent.

#14 Owayn The Traveller

Owayn The Traveller

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. After I have a shed load of books to chose from. Stuck at about 50 pages into The City and The City. Don't know whether to finish that or read Mort by Pratchett or wait for Throne of the Crescent Moon.

#15 Garett Hornwood

Garett Hornwood

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

I've decided to switch between fantasy and non-fantasy books throughout the rest of the year. I just finished Rick Perlstein's Before the Storm and posted my first review on Amazon yesterday, now it's onto the first fantasy book of the year just started today: The Eye of the World.

Working on the rest of the year's schedule...

#16 SkynJay

SkynJay

Now, what did we learn?

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. After I have a shed load of books to chose from. Stuck at about 50 pages into The City and The City. Don't know whether to finish that or read Mort by Pratchett or wait for Throne of the Crescent Moon.

Wyrd. I just finished Wyrd Sisters on a reread last month. Good choice.

#17 Grack21

Grack21

Magneto Was Right

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Still reading Death of Kings in between bouts of my crazed racist sexist rape trances.

#18 RedEyedGhost

RedEyedGhost

Clone Club!

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

Still working through Chris Wooding's Weavers of Saramyr, and I'm really enjoying it. But it will probably be awhile before I'm done with it because my reading time will be limited this week and next.

Reading Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht. Been meaning to pick this one up for a while now and I saw that it was free on kindle today. Couldn't turn that down. Its good so far.

Thanks for that /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' /> Yet another reason that I need to get a kindle ordered /leaving.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':leaving:' />

#19 mashiara

mashiara

Just let me sleep

• Members
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

I finished Room by Emma Donoghue yesterday. I had the hardest time reading this book because it was breaking my heart. There were a couple of times that I had to stop reading because I didn't want to see what would happen next. A very intense and claustrophobic book. The amazing thing about it is that the author manages to give us the whole story through the eyes of a 5year old boy and the way he sees things, and that's one of the reasons this is so powerful and painful. I thought it was a brilliant read and it left me with feelings that still linger on, a full day later.

I just can't handle reading anything serious or deep right after this, so I'll try Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris.

#20 nickg

nickg

Council Member

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

Still working through Chris Wooding's Weavers of Saramyr, and I'm really enjoying it.  But it will probably be awhile before I'm done with it because my reading time will be limited this week and next.

Thanks for that /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />  Yet another reason that I need to get a kindle ordered /leaving.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':leaving:' />

There have been times that i have considered buying one myself, but the free kindle app on my phone works fine.