[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] TWOP n00bs Thread II

Xray the Enforcer

They've been discussing whether the Winter that is Coming will in fact be a kind of Ice Age. Then... this! Never even occurred to me, and I've read/listened to the books a dozen times. Amazing. Wonder if it'll turn out to be true.

Perhaps the sea of ghost grass is the Dothraki way of describing snow? It's not like they would have seen much of it - living in the heat and the desert like they have for so long - so what we think of as a blanket of snow, to them might seem like ghost "grass". The stuff that covers the ground being either dust/dirt or grass.

A world of Winter (the land covered with ghost grass) would indeed be the end of the world for the Dothraki. Nothing for the horses to feed on. No horses, no Dothraki culture. Ergo, the end of their world. I'm just ignoring the illusion Dany saw beyond the Wall where Illusion!Drogo and !Rhaego lived in a nomadic tent and didn't mind the cold snowy landscape they were in. It may relate, but I can't connect the dots right now.

I was too astonished by the possibility that the ghost grass is the snow !!! Kuddos to those Unsullied !

I agree - I never thought of that before, but it makes a lot of sense. I'm almost willing to be banned just to congratulate them on that.

What I'm missing, and dearly hope we get next season or at some point, is Dany learning the truth about her family. Not the history book truth, but the complex, human story of their aspirations & failures.

As Mrs. Krebapple would say, "Ha!". Bookwalkers have been waiting for that for over a decade now.

Is anybody else eagerly awaiting the day next season when they learn the meaning of "Unsullied"?

Those guys are just great, so dedicated and insightful. And what's more, the are genuinely enthusiastic. When they like something, they like it, say so, and move on. When they don't like something, again, they say so and move on.

Just a joy to read, not having to go through all that bile and vitriol just "because it's not that way in the BOOKS!" I mean, they have their share of qualms, but they are keeping it... healthy, I guess the word is.

yes, was waiting for that as well. How many do we actually know of? There's Mya in the Vale, Gendry with the Brotherhood. That girl in the town of the battle of the bells? And of course, Edric Storm. I wonder if they will delve into those in the show? Mya depends on how they will expand Sansa's story I guess, she would be a good character to have not only littlefinger and Aunt Lysa at the Eyrie... The other bastards could be cut if they wanted to, child actors and such...

The show did stress however that Joffrey (?) wanted to kill all the bastards... Maybe that would seem a bit like a retcon if they continue to add bastards... I could see a meme joke in there somewhere...

I'd like them to introduce Mya Stone, always liked her and yes, she can be important to Sansa's story to make her interract with more characters while she's in the Vale...

As for the girl in the town of the BoB, it can be funny to have her, so people will understand that Robert has really really a lot of bastards and the scene with Gendry is, although a little bit disturbing, quite funny.

Damn, I was listening to "Going out in Style" from the Dropkick Murphys and just realized I was writing on the rythm of the song that become damn speedy at the end and my fingers followed it. ^^

Otherwise I guess you summed all the known-Robert's bastards, with just Barra, more, but she doesnt count anymore.

• 2 months later...
A: This has been a very interesting wrinkle in S. 02. The Frey's are gonna be pissed at Robb, but what are they going to do? Seems the worst they can do is deny him the use of the bridge.

Sweet summer child.

That's what makes the RW the shock that it is in the books. You can see the foreshadowing of what Robb is getting himself into with the breaking of the betrothal but you don't think it's going to result in the carnage with the Frey's that happens. At the time of my first reading, I thought that the Frey's were just going to denounce themselves as bannermen and throw in with someone new but it never crossed my mind that they would have the wherewithal to engineer a massacre. Add that to the fact that just prior to the RW, Robb seems to have gotten his groove back with his new plan to march back North and regroup there and I don't think any noobs are going to guess about exactly what's going to go down at the RW.

That's exactly it for me too !

I was like at first: "shit, this is gonna suck badly" when he married Jeyne.

But then... plans were drawn to retake the North, the Freys accepted the Edmure offer... and I was like: "Okay, so, maybe, not so bad."

And then Hell broke loose !

Cant wait to read about their expectations for season 3 !

That's exactly it for me too !

I was like at first: "shit, this is gonna suck badly" when he married Jeyne.

But then... plans were drawn to retake the North, the Freys accepted the Edmure offer... and I was like: "Okay, so, maybe, not so bad."

And then Hell broke loose !

There's that, and the fact that it was less than 2/3 of the way through the book (Kindle puts it at 59%, but the appendices take up about 5% by themselves). If anything happens to Robb, it's got to be near the end, like Ned. It can't happen now.

That's a really fascinating thread to read, because it proves that the changes that were made in season two did not "ruin" certain characters the way some people here vehemently assert.

Well for all we know they might've liked the book incarnations even better so it really doesn't prove anything :P.

Nice try at being inflammatory though.

Well for all we know they might've liked the book incarnations even better so it really doesn't prove anything :P.

Nice try at being inflammatory though.

Not trying to be inflammatory...and as far as them liking the books better, maybe (in fact probably) they'll go back and read the books and decide for themselves whether or not they like them better, but that doesn't mean that the characters were "ruined" on the show.

Archived