[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] TWOP n00bs Thread II

Xray the Enforcer

Wow harsh.

But seriously how could you not rejoice? The ending scene with Loras and Tywin walking into the Throne Room and then the credits with the Rains of Castamere is just pure bad@$$. Haunting,frightening but several different layers of awesome.

IMO that was one of the worst endings ever. Within 2 minutes we get a momentum shift...then sudden BAM! Tywin walks in, yells "WE WIN LOLOLOL!!" and its over. Like wtf?! Such a badass episode and a horrible conclusion to it.

From WiC rather than TWoP, but I couldn't resist--this comment is just too good to pass up! :P

If I watch 12.8 seconds of this final episode each day, I should finish in time for the season 3 premiere. Time to ration #GameOfThrones.

Can you imagine?? These folks watch a tv show like they're cramming for college finals!

Just look at what we do with the books!

Before I discovered the Wiki, I actually began a re-read project where I tracked each and every character, location, history, etc. on an excel spreadsheet. Each chapter took anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. I might actually continue it, as I've a little dissatisfied with some of the information in the wiki (a lot of speculation is listed as fact, a lot of known facts are either left out or taken out of context).

ETA: Aaaand... it didn't take long for them to get to Syrio=Jaqen. I don't know why I hate that theory so much. It goes beyond simply disagreeing with it - I actively dislike the theory and get irritated just thinking about it.

Syrio=Jaqen makes total sense for TV only watchers to suspect. I'd even say it would be a totally plausible theory, except that the timeline doesn't work at all - Jaqen was given to the Night's Watch by Ned while he was still hand, which is before Syrio disappears. But that's not clear in the show, so it's a reasonable speculation for them.

As much as I wanted to see the bastard burn down Winterfell, I did like how they kept it unknown to tv views, who actually burned it down, plus it seems that the unsullied seem to suspect that it was the bastard that burned winterfell down. I'm glad that they were able to come to that. I was worried they would be confused about it.

As much as I wanted to see the bastard burn down Winterfell, I did like how they kept it unknown to tv views, who actually burned it down, plus it seems that the unsullied seem to suspect that it was the bastard that burned winterfell down. I'm glad that they were able to come to that. I was worried they would be confused about it.

I agree, but I think they should have made it clear that Bran, Osha, and Lewin don't know, either. It's ok for the audience to be confused if they know they're supposed to be confused - otherwise, it just comes off looking muddled. All it would have taken was Osha asking Luwin "what happened", and him replying "I don't know... I couldn't see it clearly until it was done."

So many more people left alive than I thought would be. Also, between Osha, Shae and Ygritte, it really was the season of low-born (or lowly considered) women turning out to be kickass. The best part of Jon's story all year was that completely agonized look he gave Ygritte...and it really seemed like she knew. Knew that it was part of some larger plan. Knew that it was nearly killing him to go through with it and she just helped him. I have no idea if that's going to be a great romance or not, but she was a really good friend to him in the moment he looked at her with such naked agony...and she understood something. I'm not sure what, but I do think she knew that killing Halfhand was terrible for him. I got the real sense that she was choosing not to blow his cover there.

I love reading the twop thread!!

I agree, but I think they should have made it clear that Bran, Osha, and Lewin don't know, either. It's ok for the audience to be confused if they know they're supposed to be confused - otherwise, it just comes off looking muddled. All it would have taken was Osha asking Luwin "what happened", and him replying "I don't know... I couldn't see it clearly until it was done."

Yeah I was wondering why Luwin wouldn't have told them(or at least Osha) that they were betrayed. Also some of the unsullied seem to be mistaken the Wights for WW. Thought not all of them. They are also looking forward to the Tyrells in KL and the shit they will pull.

Glad they seem to be understanding the differences between wights and WW... I always thought the serie wasnt clear enough on this, just like it was on the Kingsguard...

And damn, gotta love their "spitballs".

A lot of them really don't like Littlefingers creepiness towards Sansa. Can't say I blame them. One of them theorized that LF would marry Sansa and have her produce him heirs to Harrenhale. I liked this theory honestly.

I think Sam's going to survive. The WW was looking right at him but then turned away after he curled into a ball. But could they leave people alone after signs of submission? The ranger in the pilot got left alone after he went to his knees and stared at the ground.

Nice catch.

Also, I liked the dude listing the seven gods and comparing them to flesh characters.

And I liked also the guy who made a link between the weirwood faces and the WW.

Despite my disappointments in this finale it seems the consensus among Unsullied is that it was a good end to the season. I suppose in an objective sense it tied off some story lines and left people hanging with others. So it followed the right formula for a season finale in a series like thins, albeit, for me, not with a high degree of quality for some story arcs.

They did pick up on how ridiculous it would be for Sam to survive. And as far as internally inconsistent logic goes this was a real clanger. Everything else is reasonably explicable in the context of the world, but for Sam not to get attacked by at least one passing wight is asking too much. I guess, maybe, if the wights only act according to WW direct control then if that WW looks at Sam and thinks "not worth bothering about" then I suppose the wights will walk on by. Still that's the one thing I didn't like about that scene. Would have preferred Sam and Edd to be out gathering shit and Sam to be with the Ravens. Hear 1 blast with Ed and Grenn on screen, second blast cut to Mormont "To arms men!", cut to Sam *worried look* "two blasts for Wildlings" then 3rd blast *Sam quivering and pissing himself, then rushing over to write letters and send the Ravens off*.

Would have preferred Sam and Edd to be out gathering shit and Sam to be with the Ravens. Hear 1 blast with Ed and Grenn on screen, second blast cut to Mormont "To arms men!", cut to Sam *worried look* "two blasts for Wildlings" then 3rd blast *Sam quivering and pissing himself, then rushing over to write letters and send the Ravens off*.

Me, too, if only to show them why the heck Sam was needed on that ranging in the first place.

As ***** pointed out earlier, there's a kind of bark like/tree like quality to the WW "skin" for lack of a better word. So, with respect to the link between WW and the God's Wood face tree? I am inclined to believe there is one. Wasn't it Osha who commented that all the weirwood trees were gone from the south and that was how people there lost the connection to the old gods? IIRC she said it cryptically and with respect to lack of protection from the unspeakable threat coming from North of the Wall.

Jeebus, I'm constantly amazed at the razor-sharp speculations these folks engage in! There've been several ruminations going on lately that I never thought of, in all the years I've been reading and re-reading the books and following this forum. This spec about the WW's and the Weirwood trees is certainly one of them. Never occurred to me that there might be a connection, but it certainly seems plausible that both are throw-backs to 'the old ways.'

Another of their spot-on speculations that never occurred to me--that the WWs gave Sam a pass in the final episode because he cowered and looked down (bent the knee, as they say down South?) , just like the NW guy did in the season 1 prologue.

Fascinating spit-balling!

There is a very good post (almost an essay!) about Robb's motives in page 260.

I'd love to show that discussion to the people that say the show "ruined" some characters and storylines.

It seems to me that the unsullied have figured out everything.

It seems to me that the unsullied have figured out everything.

This. Even, the speculation that Jaqen=Syrio, lol... an argument that I must say I spent many months and much blood, sweat and tears arguing back and forth on this board--its funny, looking back when this board was just about books, before the HBO series was even thought of--there must be 100s of pages of arguments that Jaqen is/isn't Syrio. And the Unsullied came to that same argument after watching a tv series that never even hinted at such a thing! Plus, they're pretty clear that R+L=J, and that's an argument that consumed many thousands of posts here, long before the series. I'm impressed.

I'm thinking I'll join with them on some new series they're going to follow. I won't read the books (if there are any) but just join in with them in the Unsullied thread, analyzing and speculating over every nuance. Anybody know of any good new series coming up this fall? Might be a good way for some of us to pass the time til next season's GoT. We can be legit nOOb virgin Unsullied spitballers, right in there with the best of them!

I'm thinking I'll join with them on some new series they're going to follow. I won't read the books (if there are any) but just join in with them in the Unsullied thread, analyzing and speculating over every nuance. Anybody know of any good new series coming up this fall? Might be a good way for some of us to pass the time til next season's GoT. We can be legit nOOb virgin Unsullied spitballers, right in there with the best of them!

The Newsroom!

Archived