Seattle reading, any details?

Arataniello

Ghost714-

Haha. I don't know how you know it, but you must share your secret with the rest of us. Are you GRRM's editor or something? You know that Aegon is not in fact a Targaryen with so much certainty it is astounding. It is a fact and everyone who doesn't know this is naive. Haha alright, but thanks for the laugh. I won't bother to read the rest of that comment.

Jolene-

I can definitely understand your point of view. I just have a feeling that he has the foundations of a good ruler, but obviously that's nothing that can be proven at this point, like you say. That may take years if everything works out for him. I think Dany has the potential to be a good ruler as well, like Jorah and I believe even Ser Barristan suggest, but I believe she needs to surround herself with better people and heed their advice more often though.

Ghost714-

Haha. I don't know how you know it, but you must share your secret with the rest of us. Are you GRRM's editor or something? You know that Aegon is not in fact a Targaryen with so much certainty it is astounding. It is a fact and everyone who doesn't know this is naive. Haha alright, but thanks for the laugh. I won't bother to read the rest of that comment.

Jolene-

I can definitely understand your point of view. I just have a feeling that he has the foundations of a good ruler, but obviously that's nothing that can be proven at this point, like you say. That may take years if everything works out for him. I think Dany has the potential to be a good ruler as well, like Jorah and I believe even Ser Barristan suggest, but I believe she needs to surround herself with better people and heed their advice more often though.

You thinking Aegon is a Targaryen is not the only reason why I said you were being naive, it was also for taking Varys word as absolute fact. That's fine though, if you want to use that as a copout for not replying to my whole post, that's up to you, it's just not helping your argument any.

The three stooges? The three NW members in the prologue of GoT?

They were 3 of the many who went with Catelyn in GOT at the Crossroads Inn to take Tyrion to the Eyrie...their names were: Lharys, Kuleket, and Mohor. They all died.

They were 3 of the many who went with Catelyn in GOT at the Crossroads Inn to take Tyrion to the Eyrie...their names were: Lharys, Kuleket, and Mohor. They all died.

I think there's something like that going on with the three septas who were taking care of Cersei: Unella, Moelle, and Scolera.

You thinking Aegon is a Targaryen is not the only reason why I said you were being naive, it was also for taking Varys word as absolute fact. That's fine though, if you want to use that as a copout for not replying to my whole post, that's up to you, it's just not helping your argument any.

It's not an argument, it's an opinion. Just like yours and the other user's who I was speaking to about this. I have not said that everything Varys says is fact, in fact I said the opposite, but I do believe he speaks truth on occasion, especially when it comes to politics and power, the game of thrones.

Idk, Neither Aegon nor Dany would make good rulers IMO. I could careless if Aegon is a Blackfyre or not, but it makes more sense if he were a Blackfyre

Why would Varys be a Targ loyalist when he probably help instigate the fall of their dynasty in the first place?

He's not a Targ loyalist necessarily. As far as I can tell, Varys is all about the realm's stability - and he recognizes that you cannot have 7 kingdoms ruled by one of their own. You need that external support and mechanism of an outsider - and you can't get that with random kings from random groups.

Jaime needs one of those fire hands, if only there was a red priest somewhere close.

No, he doesn't. Those hands come with strings attached.

I think aegon has significantly better a chance to be a ruler, but dany is by far a better conqueror and leader. As Robert found out the two are not the same.

Yet at the first opportunity Aegon decides to conquer the kingdom himself, deciding that he must be the one leading the charge on Storm's End. He may have received a good education, but currently he seems more enamored with the idea of being a conqueroring hero than a ruler.

Dany may not have received as good an education as Aegon, but she has proven potential as conqueror and leader. So far she was not very successful as a ruler but she is aware that ruling is at least equally if not more important. I just wish she hadn't chosen Mereen for learning how to rule.

Robert and Dany both know first hand that conquering and ruling are not the same thing. Aegon still has to find that out.

No, he doesn't. Those hands come with strings attached.

Yet at the first opportunity Aegon decides to conquer the kingdom himself, deciding that he must be the one leading the charge on Storm's End. He may have received a good education, but currently he seems more enamored with the idea of being a conqueroring hero than a ruler.

Dany may not have received as good an education as Aegon, but she has proven potential as conqueror and leader. So far she was not very successful as a ruler but she is aware that ruling is at least equally if not more important. I just wish she hadn't chosen Mereen for learning how to rule.

Robert and Dany both know first hand that conquering and ruling are not the same thing. Aegon still has to find that out.

Dany actually got a better "real world" education than Aegon did right from the time she married Khal Drogo. She got to live with people and observe them being ruled, even if it wasn't the same kind of rule as was standard in Westeros. She has already proven herself and at a younger age than Aegon. Yes, it's too bad she chose Meereen, if only because it slowed her story arc, but she at least tried, and got her feet wet in the real world.

The problem with Aegon is that he has had the most extraordinarily, abnormally sheltered upbringing, even if the people doing his upbringing have tried their best to educate him well and train him in the art of ruling. He's been so isolated I worry about what is going to happen once he's out in the real, wide world and actually doing something. He's lived all his life on a boat with the same few people. He may have had all the books and instruction he needs but what about the socialization? Once JonCon is not there to run interference with him I don't think he's going to cope very well. His guardians meant well trying to bring up a decent king, and I know why they had to rear him as they did, but I don't think you can be brought up in a bubble like Aegon was and not have some serious issues.

Aegon's like Sansa at the beginning of GoT - just as sheltered and naive. What is he going to do when he runs into a situation that is not like in one of the books on How To Rule that he read? He has JonCon now but he won't forever.

Dany actually got a better "real world" education than Aegon did right from the time she married Khal Drogo. She got to live with people and observe them being ruled, even if it wasn't the same kind of rule as was standard in Westeros. She has already proven herself and at a younger age than Aegon. Yes, it's too bad she chose Meereen, if only because it slowed her story arc, but she at least tried, and got her feet wet in the real world.

The problem with Aegon is that he has had the most extraordinarily, abnormally sheltered upbringing, even if the people doing his upbringing have tried their best to educate him well and train him in the art of ruling. He's been so isolated I worry about what is going to happen once he's out in the real, wide world and actually doing something. He's lived all his life on a boat with the same few people. He may have had all the books and instruction he needs but what about the socialization? Once JonCon is not there to run interference with him I don't think he's going to cope very well. His guardians meant well trying to bring up a decent king, and I know why they had to rear him as they did, but I don't think you can be brought up in a bubble like Aegon was and not have some serious issues.

Aegon's like Sansa at the beginning of GoT - just as sheltered and naive. What is he going to do when he runs into a situation that is not like in one of the books on How To Rule that he read? He has JonCon now but he won't forever.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure the "How to Rule Westeros Manual" didn't include dealing with potential rival armed with dragons or Scary Creatures that May Want to Destroy Humanity.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure the "How to Rule Westeros Manual" didn't include dealing with potential rival armed with dragons or Scary Creatures that May Want to Destroy Humanity.

I think the manual does include a section dealing with potential rivals armed with dragons. "Neutralize threat by marrying the potential rival" clearly applies here. It seems to be standard practice in Westeros, and one Jon Connington planned to follow. That is why he wants Aegon to remain free to marry Dany.

Archived